All Grays fault

jrh

I'm not going criticize Gray as overall he's doing a good job with the constraints he has to work with.

But the question does have to be asked on why play May out wide when he had a natural wide player in Drenthe sat on the bench until the 80th minute?

Personally id have taken off Nuhiu who looked as if he'd ran out of steam, played May through the centre and kept the natural width with Drenthe.

It's not a case of all get on Gray's back at all after what he's done this season, but the truth of the matter is, he cocked up big time last night and there was no reason for it.

Shame Zayette had to come off, as he was having a decent game...........and from that point it went seriously pear shaped.

Well on top in the first half, pressing high up the pitch, and then reverting to the second half 4-5-1 tactics at home was p!$$ poor.

Poor substitutions also, as for me Liam Palmer strolled thro' the game and didn't look interested. Never going to be a midfield player for me. Should have been subbed instead of Maguire.

Dielna on a three year contract looks a waste of money with first impressions, he looks a car crash in my opinion. 

Drenthe also doesn't offer anything whatsoever to the team. Ok, it was a gamble, but he's seriously gone downhill over the years.

Gray's the manager, so the book stops with him. He has to take some flack as well as pats on the back, it's part of the game. I'm still fuming now, as another three points dropped against a team we should have beaten comfortably, whether they were unbeaten in the last four games or not.

We were no where near on top in the first half. 68% possession to Ipswich tells you who was on top. We sat way too deep and allowed them to pay in front of us. Fortunately their final ball was very poor and we easily contained them.

SG is a far better coach than I am, but I wonder if he got the tactics right, but the wrong way around. We should have pressed them more in the first half, closed them quicker and higher up the pitch and gone for a second goal. Second half we could have then sat deeper, been more compact and soaked up the pressure. But that is just the opinion of a fairly knowledgeable fan and not a professional coach.

Can't complain with 16 points from 10 games though and we can't win every game.

Why all the criticism? We were unlucky not to bag the 3 points against Ipswich, but arguably the luck went our way against Reading. Maybe going 4, 5, 1 wasn't the right call, but for me we were still the better side against Ipswich in the second half. I haven't seen any replays, but it's pretty obvious we didn't get the rub of the green this time. Sometimes that's all there is too it.

For me SG knows what's he's doing and I think we're going in the right direction in a sensible way.

Gray IS doing a good job at the moment, but the second half last night was really poor - and it was down to him. We didn't appear in any trouble until he went 4-5-1. We were at home and Gray wants to see "Fortress Hillsborough". I can understand stuffing the midfield with 10 minutes left - but with a whole second half? With that formation we were never going to threaten a second goal, and we invited the pressure for the whole of the half. Whether it was a refereeing decision that gave them the goal is irrelevant.

This is the same kind of mindset that we all hated under Jones.