What are our priorties for the playing squad?

Well I suppose it all depends on expectations. Milan says we will mount a challenge. I'd love to know what kind of challenge he means, a challenge to stay out of the bottom 3? Surely he knows a challenge for the playoiffs or even the top half is unrealistic.

It's quite evident that to even compete and avoid relegation 4-5 players are needed. If the aim is the top half then these players need to be of real quality. I personally still think we are dreadfully short of quality at centre half. Lees at starting centre half is a worry, even more so is the 2 centre halfs at back up. I never understood the critics of Onyewu and I think his loss will be all too evident.  A new left back would have been nice but maybe that's being greedy. Personally I was hoping we pushed the boat out for an attacking goalscoring midfielder but that doesnt appear realistic leaving us thread bear in that area again (at least in terms of quality). Realistically we need 1-2 wingers too and again 1-2 strikers.

So why is a striker the priority at present? Surely we are crying out not just for bodies in all areas but some real quality in those areas to give us a fighting chance

From the interview with Gray, it seems our immediate priority is to bring in a couple of strikers. In that interview he didn't really seem to convey that he thought a wide player was a priority. If, and when, the takeover goes ahead, I would expect us to upgrade in three or four other positions

Guest Mancunian_Owl

I think we need:

A GK

A RB

A LB

2 x CB

A LM

2 x CM

A RM

2 STK

Apart from that we are pretty much sorted.

We need a proven goalscorer, midfield general and a wide midfielder who can cross.  We'll pick up handful of utility players for cover at left/right back and midfield I am sure..

Maghoma can do a job.

Betra will come through (hopefully).

Nuhui might actually grow up and put in a shift. I have many doubts about him though

Another goal scorer would be excellent. Fingers crossed for May to be signed by end of today or early doors Monday. We definitely do need a goalscorer - no arguments.

Sadly we haven't got a midfield general - Semedo, love him but he can't enforce in the way that is required for Championship - he will play his part though and can be solid. Lee will learn and Maguire.

Happy with Loovens and Lees in defence - watch them grow this season

Mattock and Palmer at left/rigt backs - no Brainer - Buxton needs to get fit - I rate him too.

Our depth is to be questioned though as some young players in there - I'd like to see youth/development lads given a chance; makes perfect sense to me, rather than a reliance on signings -

Development of a team style, culture, craft and purpose is often overlooked by the simpering 'we want success and we want it now' brigade.  I believe once injuries are taken into account we actually do have a squad which many people who have been too obsessed with :mama: and his takeover have actually taken time out to consider.

Trust in Stuart Gray he will do us proud.Reckon we will give Brighton a damn good game - opening match and all that.I honestly don't goive-a-poo poo whether people view the above as clapperology but given the opponents tomorrow I think we can get 3 points from the off.

One man does not make a team; the team make the team and all that. I do believe in the process of current takeover getting over the final hurdle - I think it will happen. I also do believe that MM could've and should've loosened the purse strings this summer but hey ho, all in all, I think he's kept the club going and certainly straightened out the behind the scenes finances - you can't have everything. Some of the vitriol spouted at him on here is both naive and in poor taste - people who know sod all about club finances having a pop....fools.

Edited by F. Spiksley