great win, dodgy tactics

flipping this (mostly!)

The front '4' needed to be a bit more flexible, drop into space between the centre halves and centre mids, and try and just drag people out of position slightly.  For a large proportion of that game, Lee or the defenders had the ball, and there was no option, the front '4' were all high up the pitch standing on Barnsley defenders, which of course played right into their hands. We needed a bit more from Mattock higher up the pitch, he seemed to acquire Jon Otsemobor's halfway line forcefield.   We ended up playing so many hopeless balls, because despite having the extra man, no one was coming from up the pitch to provide an option and provide the movement to cause problems.  You could tell within 5 minutes of Frimpong getting sent off, we just thought it would happen and there was no urgency.

But we found the winner in the end, despite playing pretty horrifically since the first sending off.  And that's all that counts.  

Agree with that.

Lack of movement from the wingers & strikers was a problem, also predictable movements (e.g. Maghoma) made it easier for Barnsley.

To Gray's credit, he did try changing this with Lavery coming on for Nuhui and then moving Maguire inside when JJ came on. He tried to increase the movement from the front four. But again, I think the way in which we kept recycling possession meant that Barnsley could organise themselves and cope with little bits of movement from the likes of Maguire.

Just needed to up the tempo, move the ball a bit quicker and pick/execute a better final pass/cross/shot.

I thought Gray got his substitutes right with Lavery & JJ and re-shuffling his team. Trying to get some more movement and pace into our play.

Unfortunately the players didn't respond with their use of the ball.

But, who cares now... we got the 3 points! That's all that matters.

I'm sure Gray will talk to players about this though. 

Edited by BRADDAZ

Dominated a team with a man doen and Brek Shea playing! Yet failed to create anything...hmmmmm.

What were your other points i must have fallen asleep.

My point was the tactics werent working and there wasnt a plan b, the obvious lack of urgency in midfield was plain to see but the tactics didnt budge. We were lucky in the end.

But they did thought didn't they?

Try to inject more movement & pace with Lavery & JJ coming on and moving Maguire inside.

It was the players who didn't move the ball quick enough, despite Gray obviously trying to encourage the players to up the tempo from the touchline

But they did thought didn't they?

Try to inject more movement & pace with Lavery & JJ coming on and moving Maguire inside.

It was the players who didn't move the ball quick enough, despite Gray obviously trying to encourage the players to up the tempo from the touchline

Again not moving the ball quick enough that is your centre mid that is. When llera is having to walk the ball past the halway line without any one to pass to there is a fundamental issue.

Creativity in the middle was lacking. You can shuffle the front four all you like but if they dont get the ball quick enough unless they are Messi then nowt will happen.

How many shots in target did we have today? Against ten men

Again not moving the ball quick enough that is your centre mid that is. When llera is having to walk the ball past the halway line without any one to pass to there is a fundamental issue.

Creativity in the middle was lacking. You can shuffle the front four all you like but if they dont get the ball quick enough unless they are Messi then nowt will happen.

How many shots in target did we have today? Against ten men

All the players were guilty of being slow in possession and playing with a lack of tempo, apart from Liam Palmer.

The problem we have is the other options we have on the bench in central midfield aren't good enough. We also need to bare in mind that we could still have lost that game, so that had to come into Gray's thinking. That's why Semedo had to stay on and it was a Semedo interception that helped create our goal (poor pass from the Barnsley player mind).

If Coke had been fit or a fullback on the bench, therefore allowing us to move Palmer into central midfield then i'd be up for making a change. But they weren't. We needed Keiran Lee to try and get around the area to create opportunities for himself or others (McCabe & McPhail don't do this) and we needed Semedo to offer that insurance and cover and his defensive play if Barnsley broke on us (McCabe & McPhail won't offer us this). 

Central midfield is an area of the team that needs addressing drastically in the summer.

But at the end of the day, the entire team lacked the urgency, movement, pace, tempo with and without the ball (apart from Palmer) and that is why we struggled.

Dominated a team with a man doen and Brek Shea playing! Yet failed to create anything...hmmmmm.

What were your other points i must have fallen asleep.

My point was the tactics werent working and there wasnt a plan b, the obvious lack of urgency in midfield was plain to see but the tactics didnt budge. We were lucky in the end.

Do you always fall asleep when you're losing an argument ?

Glad you agree the 2 of them dominated the area for the entire match (Semedo with an assist).

As I've said the tactics weren't the issue, if you want players in the centre who will move it quicker you still have to retain the battling qualities in a game like that, unfortunately the players you name don't have them (Coke would have been on if he was available).

Putting Lavery and Maguire up top increased the movement massively, but again it was down to the balls into the box which were pretty poor. I'd have maybe brought on Helen a lot earlier but I could understand Gray's changes

flipping this (mostly!)

The front '4' needed to be a bit more flexible, drop into space between the centre halves and centre mids, and try and just drag people out of position slightly.  For a large proportion of that game, Lee or the defenders had the ball, and there was no option, the front '4' were all high up the pitch standing on Barnsley defenders, which of course played right into their hands. We needed a bit more from Mattock higher up the pitch, he seemed to acquire Jon Otsemobor's halfway line forcefield.   We ended up playing so many hopeless balls, because despite having the extra man, no one was coming from up the pitch to provide an option and provide the movement to cause problems.  You could tell within 5 minutes of Frimpong getting sent off, we just thought it would happen and there was no urgency.

But we found the winner in the end, despite playing pretty horrifically since the first sending off.  And that's all that counts.

I don't understand if the front had 2 dropped deeper what would have happened next?.....

Pretty harsh to blame SG's tactics. We had the lions share of the ball and I thought we passed the ball pretty effectively (we've all seen weds play a hell of a lot worse in recent times), but sometimes you've got to give the opposition defence credit.

Always looked like needing a bit of individual brilliance to break the dead lock and thank The Lord for Chris Maguire!

Do you always fall asleep when you're losing an argument ?

Glad you agree the 2 of them dominated the area for the entire match (Semedo with an assist).

As I've said the tactics weren't the issue.

Is this an argument?

I am glad that we can agree that we dominated 10 midfield. yeovil tried passing and moving and wiped the floor with us. Quick recycled ball in midfield and the guy passing moving to recieve. Something that didnt happen, different tactics.

Playing the ball round the sides and all this extra movement upfront you bang on about got us how many goals, or even good chances?

Best shot... Lee pushing forward with a little dink. More of that please not less than average wingers who did nothing all game.

70% possession and 4 shots on target against 10 men (mostly). Tactics didnt work.

Several reasons we struggled to score.

It all got a bit predictable and pedestrian

Too many poor balls into the box, maghoma put 3 in a row into the kop.

Not enough bodies in the box or anybody killing themselves to get on the end of a cross.

We needed Reda . He is far from perfect but he would have kept appearing in the box and would have made things happen.

Nothing to worry about as it is very unusual for us to have so much possession and we are not as creative as most teams.