Peter Shirtliff

Born this day in 1961 - one of Wednesday's unsung heros - Many Happy returns big man.

shirtliff_zpsbb40b539.jpg

12 seasons at Wednesday spread over two periods and instrumental in the revival of the clubs fortunes in the 1980s and early 1990s success.

13 goal in 352 games he played in promotions seasons in

1979-80

1983-84 &

1990-91

A vital goal in the 1st leg of the League Cup semi final against Chelsea in 1991

and of course a League Cup winner in 1991. 

• Like 1

My MOTM in the League Cup Final win , big Nige was terrific and had the advantage of being the media,s man of the moment at that time , but PS was f@ckin awesome that day.

100% agree with that. Shirtliffe was head and shoulders above anybody else in a Wednesday shirt, that day

Edited by Wolfmanjack

Guest phshaw

Besides being reliable and a very good reader of the game, he actually had that useful commodity, pace. My MOM in the league Cup win and he was an unsung hero, who complemented the game of Pearson. In '93 his injury vs Liverpool was a turning point after a terrific run and he was a huge loss in the Cup Finals. For me he was very under-rated, I thought he was a terrific defender who should have been capped by England.

Guest zipzippy

Fantastic business by big Ron - sold Ian Cranston to fund bringing shirty back home. Was let go too soon by trev- . Wolves fans lived him too !

He's done it again.... Shirtliff

The commentator only shouts He's done it again be because he thinks it's Pearson that's scored lol

He practically admits it commentating on the replay when he says that free kick routine has worked well for Wednesday this season but it's normally Pearson that gets on the end of them.

The commentator only shouts He's done it again be because he thinks it's Pearson that's scored lol

He practically admits it commentating on the replay when he says that free kick routine has worked well for Wednesday this season but it's normally Pearson that gets on the end of them.

Yes I used to have 'League Cup Glory' on vhs and me and my brother always loved that bit of commentary