Progressive club

Im not going out insulting people, rumblein hell, I've even made a thread on here saying how the murderer chants to lee Hughes was out of order, all in all it's about hurting people's feelings, everyone of us will be touchy about something or other, if you can't brush yourself down over name calling then your characters weak imo,

I'm not sure if I can explain what I mean properly but I think that "name calling" is something which takes place between individuals that are roughly equal. This becomes bullying when taken to an extreme.

Things change when name calling is done by groups of people to minorities and the vulnerable. When the law and business/sports organisations show their disapproval of abuse and discrimination it should send a message to abusers that they are wrong and should in time change attitudes. It should also send a message to the abused that the abuse is wrong, society is not against them just individual bigots and the misguided.

If the price of this attempt to change society for the better is the loss of "a bit of banter" then so be it. The simple fact is that what one man sees as an innocent bit of banter can be seen by the less well endowed intellectually as carte blanche to abuse those different to himself..

There was outrage at the smoking ban in pubs but life has continued for the better. The fact that there may not be a big problem with homophobia at SWFC or other clubs shoud not stop them from saying discrimination and abuse is wrong. The clubs can have a positive effect on society and we keep going on about how players should be role models so this can only be a good thing.

society will make their own minds up concerning homophobia, racism ,and whatever else ,and tbh nothing will change that ,no amount of posturing ,demonstrations or otherwise will make one iota of difference to some ,people will usually follow their own feelings on the ideas that they hold, whether right or wrong people will make their own choices on the subject in question , to some it's the right thing to do to others it's wrong ,that's the way of the world i'm afraid ,I don't care one jot if people are gay ,good luck to them if that's what they are ,no one is ever satisfied at whats what in this world people are against and others are for many different things And I am afraid changing that mindset is going to be a very hard job indeed if it ever happens,

Involuntarily laughing is one thing. Proactively doing it, inciting it and condoning it is another.

It's just another form of bullying - you wouldn't dream of doing it singularly in a room full of niggers, pakis or queers. But collectively, you feel safe.

I have always treated people as I expect to be treat myself. It's called having principles and manners.

I get by OK.

This is without a doubt the worst post I have ever read! How can you claim to have principles after that?!

But why are racist jokes unacceptable? Why is it that just racist jokes are unacceptable? Far too many people nowadays have little to no see of humour. I abuse absolutely everyone I am around because thats how I communicate. That includes women, black people, foreigners, northerners, southerners, gays, straights and I'm sure hundreds of different orientations of different subject matters.

When we play Brighton we give the usual banter...

Aye, I'm an idiot. I'm sure you are right.

And, you can't even understand context or irony.

There really isn't any hope. It makes you flipping despair at times.

But society's attitudes can be changed.

Look at attitudes to coloured people (casual racism on primetime TV up until the 80s is now unacceptable to the vast majority)

Look at attitudes to drink driving.

Smoking in public.

It often is hard work and opposed at the time, but that doesn't make changing people's attitudes impossible or indeed wrong.

maybe so in the public eye my friend,and nobody says it's wrong ,but people will keep their own thought to themselves ,I am not condoning it but that is what happens,

smokers accept it because it's law,they have no choice same with racism ,and Homophobia ,people dare not speak out any more ,but I digress I have no problems with gays or ethnics or any one else , but some people do and theirin lies the problem,people have to have choice whether to support or not,

Wait a minute wait a minute, I'm getting the impression that a few straight white guys can't see what the problem is with homophobia and racism?

This is unheard of.

Straight? lol

You should see some of the private messages I get regarding my Lewis Buxton posts. They rank from closeted agreement through to hardcore fantasies. The macho hetero stuff on the main boards is all just a disguise to impress one another. A shame really as with a tad more honesty they could be making each other's dreams come true...

Obviously some will pay lip service Trev, but I think there has been a huge change in peoples' attitudes generally to some of those things, and I don't believe it is just 'pretence.'

This is the point i was trying to make earlier. The law and peer pressure does change attitudes. It is a form of education which can affect the behaviour of all but the hard core bigots. What was acceptable in the past is no longer acceptable. Private thoughts remain private because they are not acceptable to the majority and this reduces the ability of the abuser to abuse.