The Shipp Cup

Guest Willie Henderson

I remember the Shipp cup, pre season competition between us, Peterborough, Cambridge and Lincoln, not the most glamoures teams around!

We won the first one but i think there was one the season after or maybe later? Anyone confirm this?

Had a few of them there pullovers as well.

I still have two, one navy blue, and one, bottle green. Both pristine, but not sure why, they don't fit now. Either I grew or they shrank, and they look exactly as they did when I bought them in the 70's. Must be me.

This was a pre-season competition, and I actually remember one of the newspapers the next day talking about it being Wednesday's "first trophy of the season", somehow implying that we'd also likely get to Wembley and win the FA Cup. Of course we subsequently lost 1-0 at Darlington to a last minute, out-of-the-blue, 30-yard strike from a crappy ex-Wednesday player in the second round on a cold, miserable evening just before Christmas. Great days.  

I remember the Shipp cup, pre season competition between us, Peterborough, Cambridge and Lincoln, not the most glamoures teams around!

We won the first one but i think there was one the season after or maybe later? Anyone confirm this?

Played it the year after we won it, but Huddersfield took Cambridges place

31 july 76 peterborough at home won3-2  feeley, prendergast and potts

4th aug 76 lincoln home  won 1-0  potts

7th aug 76 cambridge away won 5-2  wylde 2, feeley 2, and nimmo

30th july 77  peterborough away won 2-0 rushbury and tynan

2cnd aug 77 cambridge away lost 3-2 nimmo 2

6th aug 77  huddersfield home  lost 2-0