The Owls nickname.

Although we moved to Owlerton (pronounced Ollerton) in 1899, the Owls nickname didn't come about until somewhere around 1913 I think. As in the OP somebody presented a model Owl. If they could talk Sheffieldish then we'd probably be still known as the blades.

Even in the book "Romance of the Wednesday" from 1926 the author was still complaining that we shoud be known as the blades.

Guest PrincessWendy

I reckon Owlstalkers should club together a buy the club a new Owl. We could present it at a game and it could live at the back of the kop. Be cool as flip that. A proper Owl flying about the kop on match days.

We could train it to intimidate the opposition and sh!t on the away fans.

I just realised. This would only be possible for night matches.

Bless you

HRH Wendy

Some time ago on the Sheffield History website we got this message . Has anyone heard this story before?

There was a run of 4 straight wins in February 1911. Robertson scored 31 goals in 173 games for Wednesday.

"I am researching the career of my great uncle George Robertson, a Scottish internationalist who played for Sheffield Wednesday between 1910 and 1920. George was indirectly responsible for Wednesday becoming known as the Owls when he presented the team with an owl as a mascot and they won their next 4 home games without conceding a goal.

I would love to hear from anyone who has any information on George's time in Sheffield or any photographs of him or Wednesday teams in which he appeared.

Attached are two photographs of George, one with the owl he presented to the club and one with his first Scottish Cap."

I did a bit of research on this a few years ago. I think this came from The Romance of the WEDNESDAY

" In 1912 player George Robertson presented the club with a mascot in the shape of an Owl, though Wednesday stressed that they hoped that the gift of the mascot would not lead to them being known as The Owls instead of their real nickname “The Blades”.

The owl was placed under the roof of the North Stand in the October of that year and Wednesday won their next four games without conceding; a new nickname was born."

Edited by wisewoodowl

I reckon Owlstalkers should club together a buy the club a new Owl. We could present it at a game and it could live at the back of the kop. Be cool as flip that. A proper Owl flying about the kop on match days.

We could train it to intimidate the opposition and sh!t on the away fans.

My Wife's college american football team in the States, Auburn University, do this. Their motto is "War Eagle" not sure what that means, but they fly a bloody great eagle around the stadium before the games. Considering there's usually about 80,000 people there, it must be bloody well trained.