Unless the OP works in a juvenile detention centre then i see why he would think like that lol

Not a juvenile detention centre, and many of those saying things were from respectable family backgrounds etc.

I appreciate what some have implied though about a herd mentality belying what they really feel, and that they are 'only kids', also that the whole 'youth of today' angle is a little tiresome. Felt better having a little gripe about it online though.

In the last few months this kind of behaviour has come back from the 80s across the country. Is it something to do with the similarly depressing economic backdrop? Is Football becoming an outlet again?

Are you Neil in disguise?

To be fair there were 'similar' incidents in the supposedly 'good' years between the turn of the millenium up until the start of the recession around 2007. Football hooliganism will always be there at some level, think about the majority of matches you've been too and how many have turned out the way Leeds did on friday, for me its just the once... on friday!

In my experience footballing rivalries in Yorkshire have got a bit nastier in recent years.

I'm not saying there definitely is a link but tough times lead to more extreme opinions and behaviour coming to the fore. Maybe it's just the media.

Yeah maybe so, I'm sure it'll never return to levels in the 80's even if the econony appears to have done.