whats everyones starting 11? and why?

The only thing wrong with yesterdays starting 11 was that in selection Jones thought Jay could do a better job out wide than JJ. In tactics that he thought we could carry the game to Hull with one up front.

The reason he had five spread across the middle was for cover and posession, all he to do is play four across the middle and instruct Barkley to get some ferkin running and closing down done off the ball. Yeah the kid is so obviously gifted but if he aint going to do the running he is a luxury we can't afford.

This may be a precursor to Jones working Semedo out of the side. To be honest I'm becoming pi55ed off with Jones wrapping up his personality battles in football terminology.

Leave Semedo out if you think McCabe and Barkley can do the Job but make sure they, Barkley inparticular, are going to do the required ammount of working back.

Well said Nev. Barkley is very lazy when we don't have the ball.

Yes there have been too many changes but looking at our strikers and their attributes, I still don't see a partnership. If Bothroyd is the man, he has the best technical ability and is the only one who has anything that resembles pace, then we need to find the right partner for him. My shout would be Frazier Campbell who's available for loan to a championship club. I think that would be a decent combination

He did do his share of harrying on Saturday I thought. With Semedo and McCabe alongside him though, winning the ball shouldn't really be a problem should it?

There were too many times on Saturday when it was his responsibility to make tackles which he failed to do. He really ducked out quite a few times.

The glaring thing for me is that although clearly talented he's not keen on putting a foot into a tackle.

Yes and he would look a world beater if he was playing with players of the calibre of Roy Keane and Michael Essien but he aint. He is playing for a Championship team low on confidence that needs everyone working to keep the ball and working to get it back when we don't. I personally don't see how we can play Bothroyd and Barkley in the same team as JJ is a bigger threat than Bothroyd on the wing and the best position for these two is just behind the striker.

Yes there have been too many changes but looking at our strikers and their attributes, I still don't see a partnership. If Bothroyd is the man, he has the best technical ability and is the only one who has anything that resembles pace, then we need to find the right partner for him. My shout would be Frazier Campbell who's available for loan to a championship club. I think that would be a decent combination

At the moment it should be COG plus one other. Just don't leave him isolated like on Saturday.

Edited by Dagmeister

Yes and he would look a world beater if he was playing with players of the calibre of Roy Keane and Michael Essien but he aint. He is playing for a Championship team low on confidence that needs everyone working to keep the ball and working to get it back when we don't. I personally don't see how we can play Bothroyd and Barkley in the same team as JJ is a bigger threat than Bothroyd on the wing and the best position for these two is just behind the striker.

Yep JJ for me (certainly at home) with JB pushed a bit further forward just off COG. Barkley will most likely achieve far greater heights than McCabe but at the moment I think he could do with being a bit more like McCabe.

Kirkland

Buxton

Gardner

Beevers (I know he's on loan but he's my choice)

Reda

JJ

Barkley

McCabe

Antonio

COG

Bothroyd

You've picked 4 midfielders who don't track back - our defence is exposed enough as it is. Whilst Semedo has not adjusted to the Champ as we hoped he would, we have no-one else who can do that job and his tracking back and positional sense is still an asset to the team. Can't see how we can drop him TBH.

Mine (4-2-3-1)

Kirkland

Buxton Gardner Llera Mattock

MccAbe Semedo

Antonio Barkley JJ

Madine

The midfield triangle of M, S and B gives us a chance of retaining possession and keeping ball whilst supporting the back four with two sitters (would love Lines back as well).

I don't think either MA or JJ are best played in a 4-4-2 as they receive the ball too deep and often have to beat two men at least before they can cross or shoot, in my formation they would receive the ball up near the penalty area and cut inside with quicker access to goal (think where JJ and MA received the ball for their goals vs Oldham earlier this season).

I've also gone for the most attacking full backs to overlap and attack the space created by the wingers cutting in, but also confident that the two sitters will guard the centre backs.

Would still prefer a right-footed CB but Taylor just hasn't worked out and our strikers are much of a muchness but I think Madine has the arrogance (in a very good way) to still take the shots when they come along, even with our current form.

People are missing the point. We can't play 4-4-2 with 2 wingers, it doesn't work. Maybe in league 1 with lesser opposition. But in Championship teams are better and will exploit weaknesses. For me JJ has been better then Antonio, he also has defended better this year and is more willing to get back and defend.

JJ > Antonio

Antonio was 4th choice at Reading? That says it all for me..

People are missing the point. We can't play 4-4-2 with 2 wingers, it doesn't work. Maybe in league 1 with lesser opposition. But in Championship teams are better and will exploit weaknesses. For me JJ has been better then Antonio, he also has defended better this year and is more willing to get back and defend.

JJ > Antonio

Antonio was 4th choice at Reading? That says it all for me..

This is very true, DJ's preferred formation died out in the 1990s in the PL, and has no died out in the Championship. Some version of 4-3-3 is probably the only formation which actually have the personnel to properly deploy we have no "wide midfielders" who play out wide but deeper in line with the CMs in a 4-4-2 so can't play that formation.

I'm with you on this one, 433 but with two wide attackers as opposed to out and out wingers. So we can't start with JJ and Antonio. its either one or the other. Bothroyd could play that role but not as he was instructed to do on Saturday. When the ball is on one side, the other wide attacker has to give more support to the guy in the middle or he becomes isolated

Guest JackswfcJones

Kirkland

reda

buxton

gardener

llera

jj

antonio

mccabe

barkley/lines

rodri

cog/madine

Edited by JackswfcJones

Kirkland

Mattock

Buxton

Llera

Gardener

Reda

McCabe

Barkley

JJ

Rodri

COG (at the moment but Bothroyd will score goals)

Reda has to play midfield. With the others around him it means he doesn't have to go for every tackle which hopefully means he wont get sent off too many times. He is the only one that can cover the ground, get up and down left and right. Our problem for years has been the midfield being overran meaning the defence is called into action too many times. If this happens the law of averages states that the opposition are going to score more than 1 goal. Sure up the midfield, the defence isn't called upon as many times, the less times Kirkland will see the ball, and the less he therefore will concede.