What's happened to Rodri?

Guest Grayman

I don't know why we sign slow players it's never going to work nowadays, the modern game has moved on - doesn't matter how skillful you are its all about pace and power now.

Yep, all these Spanish players who have been dominating football for the last 5 years are all physical beasts...

Good against Birmingham.

Decent against Millwall.

Crap the rest of the time.

Needs time, but doesn't deserves to be starting games at the moment.

Nicely summed up.

I also think he's a victim of our style when we sit deep. He recieves the ball too far from goal with little or no runners in support. He isn't the fastest so can't stretch teams and we have stronger hold up players.

If we are getting more balls in the box it would be interesting to see how he does, but in order to get the team going again we need the likes of COG, Madine and Bothroyd.

I don't know why we sign slow players it's never going to work nowadays, the modern game has moved on - doesn't matter how skillful you are its all about pace and power now.

To a certain degree, in the forward positions. But I think maybe 5 years ago this was more the case, big strapping players who could run but were hit and miss in their finishing and or passing I.e. Sidibie, Cole, Heskey.

I saw an interesting article in the paper which showed the average physique of the top midfielders in the early 2000s compared to today. Viera, Ballack, Hamman etc now replaced with Silva, Corzola, Allen etc. Probably because of the Spanish.

I personally prefer stronger and quicker forwards, but sometimes a slower player adds a bit of guile provided you can get them the ball in the right areas I.e. Phillips, Lowe, Le Fondre.