Question on the North West

Guest Ozzieowlpelvicthrust

Does anybody have memories of the development of the northwest terrace? Its not really detailed in any of the history books ie. 100 years at Hillsborough. Obviously its a part of the ground thats hardly ever used so doesn't get much attention.

Looking at it on Saturday pre-match had me wondering

1) Why is the back wall such an odd shape? Has it always been this shape?

2) When they installed the seats why didn't they redo the terrace so that it didn't look such of a dog's breakfast?

3) Was it re-built in 1966 along with Leppings Lane?

Does anybody have memories of the development of the northwest terrace? Its not really detailed in any of the history books ie. 100 years at Hillsborough. Obviously its a part of the ground thats hardly ever used so doesn't get much attention.

Looking at it on Saturday pre-match had me wondering

1) Why is the back wall such an odd shape? Has it always been this shape?

2) When they installed the seats why didn't they redo the terrace so that it didn't look such of a dog's breakfast?

3) Was it re-built in 1966 along with Leppings Lane?

1) Not always, the back wall was slightly re-shaped when the floodlight was removed.

2) Money I suppose, the whole stand should have been rebuilt

3) Yes built for the 1966 world cup

1.It fills a gap; original idea was as overspill for away fans on Lepp

2.Good question. It was the 90's.There was a lot of happy drugs around

3.No. It's a 90's thing

Sorry to not be able to offer you more but you're right; it is the weirdest thing and not in keeping with the rest of the stadium. With a bit of luck, if the proposed development of the West Stand eventually goes ahead, it'll end up looking much better.

The West stand upper was built during 1965-66 season for the 1966 World Cup. Originally it was supposed to join up with the North Stand in one sweeping curve, but the grant which the Government originally promised was cut. The country was in an economic mess in the mid sixties.(Harold Wilson's office).

The North West corner was meant to extend as high as the other two stands, which would have had it towering over the gardens at the back. You can still see the rebar(reinforcing iron bars) sticking out of the concrete at the back. I beleive it would have been covered and the roof joined up to North and West stands.

But the owners of the houses would not sell.

So its looked a mess ever since.

Could have been worse- Motherwell tried to extend their main stand in the 60's. (Using the money they got from Liverpool for Ian St John). The framework went up. Householders at the back refused to sell and their ground has looked unfinished for 50 years!

Also just checked on a photo of the ground when the floodlight was in position and the blue corrugated sheeting was already that shape in front of the floodlight. Although I still think this sheeting was an 80's/90's addition.

I assume that was done to stop fans climbing up the floodlight.

Edited by cactus

The whole end was screwed up in 65. They should have replaced the old covered standing area with a proper covered terrace. There was and is plenty of room to build backwards, in 65 they should have built a new covered end accommodating 20,000 standing spectators. It would have made an awesome home end. We could have then stuck a fence down the uncovered Kop and gave half of it to the away fans. Late 60's through to 1986 the ground lacked atmosphere due to the absence of covered standing. It was only when fans who gave vocal backing started going in the North stand mid 70's that things changed. Eric Taylor in my view got the North stand correct and the West stand badly wrong.

Thanks for the responses.

Have to agree the Lepp and the corner should be demolished and re-built completely. Ideally the new stand would offer a bit of flexibility for segregation so that we can vary the allocation to away supportes to suit home supporter demand.

Guest PHIL1867

Was the corner definitely done in 66. I'm sure I have photo in a book somewhere where the North and West is done for the world cup but sure the corner is missing. I'll try and find it........if I can.

The West stand upper was built during 1965-66 season for the 1966 World Cup. Originally it was supposed to join up with the North Stand in one sweeping curve, but the grant which the Government originally promised was cut. The country was in an economic mess in the mid sixties.(Harold Wilson's office).

The North West corner was meant to extend as high as the other two stands, which would have had it towering over the gardens at the back. You can still see the rebar(reinforcing iron bars) sticking out of the concrete at the back. I beleive it would have been covered and the roof joined up to North and West stands.

But the owners of the houses would not sell.

So its looked a mess ever since.

Could have been worse- Motherwell tried to extend their main stand in the 60's. (Using the money they got from Liverpool for Ian St John). The framework went up. Householders at the back refused to sell and their ground has looked unfinished for 50 years!

I took some pictures last night of unfinished steel works on the rear just need to get them posted on here

someone posted a picture of an alternative hillsborough once - it had the northstand continuing round that corner and over the lep end - that looked glorious... (although now it would look a bit like two of the sides from Pride Park...

What might have been eh? A model of the fully developed Hillsborough from 1963 - light years ahead!

1963.jpg