League 1 squad vs Championship

Guest SpiderBoy

Guest SpiderBoy

It seems to me that Megson signed players last summer who would give us the chance of getting out of League 1 ie Ryan Lowe, COG, Rob Jones and Prutton. In the end job done because we got promoted.

Obviously DJ has his reservations that these players can do the job in the higher league. Therefore we are seeing these players moved on to free up wages for players who he fancies can compete at this level.

Would you want to keep players such as Lowe and give them a go at this level when their chances will be limited or let them leave?

After all we do not want unhappy players who arent playing in a large squad.

For me it's thanks for all your hard work in getting us promoted but go and play regularly.

Discuss....

I think Lowe would have been happy here. He obviously loves the club and the fans. He didn't play regularly last year so I think he would have expected it.

IMO would like to see him stay although it's looking unlikely he will. Think he could still have a role to play and deserves his chance in the Championship. Would be an excellent role model for the younger players as well.

Edited by H2Owl

We still have a fair chunk of League 1 players left at the club, obviously we won't/can't get shut of the lot.

Lowe, O'Grady, M Jones, D Jones, M Reynolds, G Coke, D Prutton and possibly Weaver (mainly due to injuries though) all fit into this category.

I won't lose any sleep if any of the above leave. Harsh, but we need much better now.

As far as Prutton goes I don't think he'll feature at all so I'd sell there 'cos he'll certainy have something to offer for another club.

Same for Jones unfortunately. Great captain but think he needs to move on.

Reserved on COG atm. He'll probably end up leaving but from what I've seen so far I would prefer him to Harewood if it's a choice between the 2, although I won't lose sleep if both go and we bring in someone else.

Edited by H2Owl

As far as Prutton goes I don't think he'll feature at all so I'd sell there 'cos he'll certainy have something to offer for another club.

Same for Jones unfortunately. Great captain but think he needs to move on.

Reserved on COG atm. He'll probably end up leaving but from what I've seen so far I would prefer him to Harewood if it's a choice between the 2.

Jones left on Monday?

Guest Hola Tidman

Think coke should stay hes the right age and got the right qualities. hopefully jones will get the best out of him this year.... if he doesnt move on.

Guest Stereophonics

I'd like to have seen them get a chance but I can understand that sometimes you need to move on.

I loved last years squad though, it was just refereshing to see a team who had a good spirit, played with passion and weren't gutless. I just hope that any new signings are of the same mould rather than the absolute pansies that played for us in previous years.

Lowe was a good interim signing, and a top fella, but sentiment goes out the window, id love to play for Wednesday, and id play with a smile on my face, it doesnt mean you want me wearing the no.9 shirt next year.

Lets face it the Championship is alot harder than league one, theres a reason RL hasnt played there before, and he aint getting any younger.

Wish him well, move on.

Guest Sniper1

We were average without Marshall/Antonio.

Bywater, Buxton, Llera, Reda, Semedo and Madine are the only ones i wanted to keep in the first team.

Lines and JJ have attributes that are worth while keeping around the squad.

Everyone else can do one for me.

This all depends on whether we actually sign players that replace these guys. We haven't replaced Mike Jones, Prutton, COG or Lowe. We'll need 4 strikers Next season in case o injury or in Madine's case suspension, so no point in shipping these lads out unless we have nailed on targets that are coming in....and I don't mean that handsome lad Marlon Harewood, I still think we need a 20 goal a season man (at championship level).

We were average without Marshall/Antonio.

Bywater, Buxton, Llera, Reda, Semedo and Madine are the only ones i wanted to keep in the first team.

Lines and JJ have attributes that are worth while keeping around the squad.

Everyone else can do one for me.

way aye

This all depends on whether we actually sign players that replace these guys. We haven't replaced Mike Jones, Prutton, COG or Lowe. We'll need 4 strikers Next season in case o injury or in Madine's case suspension, so no point in shipping these lads out unless we have nailed on targets that are coming in....and I don't mean that handsome lad Marlon Harewood, I still think we need a 20 goal a season man (at championship level).

If only a 20 goal a season man was that easy to come by! Then there's the cost.

It seems to me that Megson signed players last summer who would give us the chance of getting out of League 1 ie Ryan Lowe, COG, Rob Jones and Prutton. In the end job done because we got promoted.

Obviously DJ has his reservations that these players can do the job in the higher league. Therefore we are seeing these players moved on to free up wages for players who he fancies can compete at this level.

Would you want to keep players such as Lowe and give them a go at this level when their chances will be limited or let them leave?

After all we do not want unhappy players who arent playing in a large squad.

For me it's thanks for all your hard work in getting us promoted but go and play regularly.

Discuss....

We already have done, in the Ryan Lowe thread

you look through the squad and its littered with players that are more then capable in League One but i'm not quite sure have the quality to succeed in the championship ..

to be honest, looking at the squad from last season. the only players i would keep would be

Weaver/Buxton/Beevers/Llera/Reda/Semedo/Madine/COG

I would have given Lowe, Lines and Reynolds a chance to see if they were able to perform or be a bit part of the squad

The rest, Bennet, Coke, Prutts, both Jones etc could have been jettisoned off becuase for this level they aren't good enough

The squad still needs major investment if we are to compete at this level

i dont want to worry or be pessimistic and under whelmed .. but i'm hoping that DJ and MM pull some majour coups out the bag in the next couple of weeks