He's average player outside the box, but in it he's bloody lethal. He's got great awareness of space and good movement. Then when he gets the chance he's lethal. Very clinical and a very clever striker.

I think he will score a fair amount in the Championship if given the service. I do think his all round game will need to improve if he wants to make it in the Premier League as he isn't ready for that level yet, but there is no reason why can't get there eventually. I would've never thought Grant Holt and Danny Graham would do anything at that level, but they have.

Dunno if i agree that he is average outside the box.

On saturday's evidence you would say so- but he was feeding off scraps.

From what i have seen of him in games against us he has the technique of a top player.

Edited by Beholder

You putting that down as a negative?

what about the other 30? lol

It's only because people know we won't sign him that they are looking for the negatives.

He is class. A potential Madine / Rhodes partnership is the stuff of football fantasy.

We can but dream.

Just making the point that he has some weaknesses and that perhaps huddersfield could have got more for him in January.

I'd still have him at hillsborough, but I'm a little more doubtful as to how he will fare in the championship.

Dunno if i agree that he is average outside the box.

On saturday's evidence you would say so- but he was feeding off scraps.

From what i have seen of him in games against he has the technique of a top player.

I don't agree mate. I've tried to watch him really closely the past four times I've seen him (against us at Galpharm and the 3 play off games) and I think his game is average. He's anonymous for quite a lot of the game, when he gets the ball he can be quite wasteful in possession, whether that's his first touch, his passing or his choice of pass. He's not a particularly good at running with the ball and he's not brilliant at holding play up and bringing others in. There is some ability with him, it may just be consistancy with him.

But it's obvious he's got that strikers instinct. He makes clever runs but the service was often poor. Plus like I say in and around the penalty he's brilliant. It maybe the case that when he as less time to think about it then the ability comes through.

I like his attitude and I think he's the type of guy who will wok at his game. I can see him improving and hopefully he'll make it at the top level. He's not quite ready for it yet though.

Fair do's. I don't really have the knowledge to get into a debate about his play outside the box but I just remember seeing a few moments of good technique in the game at the galpharm and remember commenting about it to my mate.

The game against Hillsbrough was obviously a strikers masterclass.

Fair do's. I don't really have the knowledge to get into a debate about his play outside the box but I just remember seeing a few moments of good technique in the game at the galpharm and remember commenting about it to my mate.

The game against Hillsbrough was obviously a strikers masterclass.

Absolute masterclass.

I can remeber watching the Wycombe game on SKY afterwards and it was a carbon copy perfrmance. Anonymous for a large part of the game but he gets a couple of sniffs and bang bang bang. He's bagged himself 4 or 5 goals.

He's absolutely lethal and I think he can repeat that in the Championship.

Won't be with us though unfortunately.

Theres been quite a few strikers like him over the years, good goalscorers who don't quite have the all round ability to make it at the top level. Some even deliver goals when given a chance in the Premier, Beckford for example, but are ultimately rejected because they don't have the quality. Occasionally with hard work, a few make it, with perhaps John Aldridge being the best example. Rhodes reminds me of a young Aldridge and is young enough to learn the skills that would allow him to be a success in the Premiership

Craig Mackail Smith was the best player I had seen at Hillsborough the season before, he offered so much to the team, ran everywhere, worked his socks off, was such a handful and scored some great goals. Many people would prefer this type of striker and that's why Brighton paid £3m for him, he has only scored 7 I think for them though. I wouldn't pay more than £3m for Rhodes though, his work rate is non existent.

Guest foreverSWFC

flippinghell some of the responses on here I would expect of Blades fans.

If you don't think Rhodes could cut it in the Championship you are deluded. 40 goals a season, 40 goals is staggeringly good. He scored goals, he will play at the top level.

He's nailed on to be able to do it in the championship, its the very top level that people question Personally I have my doubts as to whether he'd be a success in the Premiership at the moment but I wouldn't bet against it Still only young

Guest wilyfox

a thread to discuss the ability of a guy that doesn't play for Wednesday, doesn't want to play for Wednesday, is unlikely to join Wednesday, and that Wednesday probably could not afford; Ok...

Guest TTOwl

a thread to discuss the ability of a guy that doesn't play for Wednesday, doesn't want to play for Wednesday, is unlikely to join Wednesday, and that Wednesday probably could not afford; Ok...

well it's in the wrong section but remind me why we can't discuss players from other clubs?

Guest wilyfox

well it's in the wrong section but remind me why we can't discuss players from other clubs?

it's not that you can't; Jordan Rhodes is irrelevant, and in the wrong section as you say. the endless 'will he make it, wont he make it', 'is he worth it, isn't he worth it', 'could he do a job for us, or couldn't he', 'could we afford him, couldn't we'. all gets a bit tedious.

Guest Sniper1

Rhodes.

Ive seen him play a few times now and i have mixed feelings.

At Hillsborough he was awesome and f'kin lethal, like he was in a fair few other games.

Ive then seen the other side of his game where he just doesn't get in the game.

Getting the goals he got in one season will up his price, i would however say Gary Madine is the more rounded player.

Yes thats a brave statement and i know most won't agree with that, fine.

I would take Gary Madine over Jordan Rhodes right now, although they are different strikers.

Madine offers more than goals.

Both of them in a front pair would/should be clinical.

Id probably value both players around the 2m mark.

Jordans goals in League 1 = 2m

Madines goals in League 1 = 1.5m + 500k for hold up/link up play.

Guest Leicesterowls

Haha course he is not worth that. He is worth 2 mill tops. He scored so many goals, a fine achievement. But he got them in league one.

Rhodes is a decent Championship striker for a team going for the play offs. He isn't prem at all. My local side (Leicester) have at least 2 better strikers in Beckford and Nugent and got them for under 4 mill together. So don't be silly, not 5 at all

Haha course he is not worth that. He is worth 2 mill tops. He scored so many goals, a fine achievement. But he got them in league one.

Rhodes is a decent Championship striker for a team going for the play offs. He isn't prem at all. My local side (Leicester) have at least 2 better strikers in Beckford and Nugent and got them for under 4 mill together. So don't be silly, not 5 at all

If you are right then he won't be going anywhere then.

Hudds won't sell for that.

Personally I think you will be proven wrong and a prem club will come in with over 3 mill.

We shall see.

Guest Leicesterowls

I wouldn't be surprised to see him going to a southampton or reading

But for me, right now, and for the next few years, he isn't good enough for the prem

If he gets a few good 20+ goals a year in the champ then sure. But not yet

The thread may be irrelevant as far as Jordan Rhodes and Wednesday are concerned but its my belief that we will need to acquire a striker of similar stature if we are going to make an impression on the championship next season Even if we can secure the 4 loan players, or at least obtain players of similar quality, we will only be where we were last season. Good players though they are, Lee and Kirkland are not going to turn us into a quality championship side. We will still need to make a prestige signing, probably a striker to play alongside Madine, and that will cost us.