The Sean McAuley Experiment

Guest bigbadbreeze

Of course Chelsea can claim JT - scouting and recruitment is a huge part of academy football which you yourself are acknowledging in this thread!

As for scouts - if we don't have enough then get some more!

Cultivate contacts with local managers - managers/officials in Leeds/Hull/Scarborough/Carlisle/Nottingham/Leicester/Newcastle etc etc etc - get to know the people in the know - just like successful youth development coaches do!

I know LOADS of scouts - they work for free usually - sometimes they want their petrol paid and other times happy to get a flat fee (say £25for the younger players up to maybe £75 for the youth team) for every kid they introduce that the academy signs - while others will take their chance on a percentage of any transfer fee (a mate of mine got £275k by doing this)

As i keep saying - stop the excuses and get the legwork done - it costs nothing

I believe the club are casting their net a lot further than Hillsborough Park now.

So if a kid is offered a chance to sign for Wednesday or Man Utd then what do you think he will do?

Depends how the club is sold to the kid - and who is doing the selling.

We can't compete finacially so like all clubs in the position we have to be more inventive - other clubs do it and there's no reason why we couldn't

I wonder how many pitches an academy like that at Crewe has, what with their limitless pool of resources and all that. And they're closer to both Manchester clubs and Liverpool than we are.

Nonsense point.

Crewe share Manchester Uni's (or may be Manc Met's) training facilities. These are brand new and state of the art.

Your point is sound though. Teams with far fewer resources than ours are eclipsing our output.

How many pitches do you need ?

Equipment..... the top players didnt like the balls we use ?

More coaches.... then thats the role of the academy manager to address

What are the better resources elsewhere ?

I'm interested.... i know nowt about academy football. Apart from we're poo poo at it.

Facilities rather than equipment..... Other teams have better facilities

More coaches......You have to pay at least the minimum wage

But I believe that Milan is directing resources to not just the academy but also the community side too.

Depends how the club is sold to the kid - and who is doing the selling.

We can't compete finacially so like all clubs in the position we have to be more inventive - other clubs do it and there's no reason why we couldn't

You also get local coaches that for one reason or another have their own agendas that favour one club over another.

You also get local coaches that for one reason or another have their own agendas that favour one club over another.

Mate, i know all the politics and all that bullshit - but it's part of the job to cut through that

Ultimately if you make a concerted effort and show a genuine interest and make a kid feel wanted you have a bloody good chance

If utlimately a kid is gonna go somewhere else despite all your best efforts then you just have to wish them luck on their way - but if it keeps happening then something is fundamentally wrong and it needs addressing with the right kind of people involved - and no they won't sign every kid they go after and Man U/City/Everpool etc will still get the nod - but we'll get a lot more than we lose

Just have to be inventive and determined

Mate, i know all the politics and all that bullshit - but it's part of the job to cut through that

Ultimately if you make a concerted effort and show a genuine interest and make a kid feel wanted you have a bloody good chance

If utlimately a kid is gonna go somewhere else despite all your best efforts then you just have to wish them luck on their way - but if it keeps happening then something is fundamentally wrong and it needs addressing with the right kind of people involved - and no they won't sign every kid they go after and Man U/City/Everpool etc will still get the nod - but we'll get a lot more than we lose

Just have to be inventive and determined

Scram good debate and I still believe that we will see an improvement in the future

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

The Great Jose Mourinho once said something along the lines of Academies shouldn't be a results based. And i'll side with Jose over any of the owlstalk mob.

Alsoas someone has already pointed out, we don't get the good picksof youth talent anymore, the top clubs do and WE AREN'T A TOP CLUB ANYMORE

The Great Jose Mourinho once said something along the lines of Academies shouldn't be a results based. And i'll side with Jose over any of the owlstalk mob.

Alsoas someone has already pointed out, we don't get the good picksof youth talent anymore, the top clubs do and WE AREN'T A TOP CLUB ANYMORE

I don't know one academy that is results based - it's just a throwaway phrase that somehow a club is trying to do something different - when in fact they're all on the same page regards this

And not being a top club is not a barrier to recruiting kids to the academy

It's excuses

i got chatting to a wednesday youth scout a couple of years ago

for all the first 45 mins he just chatted merrily with absolutely no interest in the game

10 mins into the second half he stated he'd seen enough and hadn't seen anything that caught his eye

i promise that he didn't watch one single second of that game

the lads playing didn't stand a chance

Sean McAuley has been one of the biggest sucesses to come out of the dark days at hillsborough.

The problem is we have not been able to compete financially with other teams when it comes to getting the best academy players. I believe now with Milan that could change over the next couple of years.

are you on drugs

if McAuley was a horse he'd have been shot a long time ago and made into glue, even the french wouldn't eat him he's that bad.

There's a lad who goes to the Milligan and McCann soccer skills school on Saturday mornings with my kids here on the Fylde coast. He's seven years old and brilliant for his age. Very skilled, strong, and picks the corner out every time he shoots. Very cool in front of goal, takes his time and scores nearly every time he shoots. You can see he'll be a very good footballer. I know his dad too. How do I get a scout to watch him? He's so mature in the way he plays, you can see he understands the game. Or is 7 years old too young?

7 isn't too young but it's not an official academy age group - but many clubs have 6 and 7 year olds (sometimes younger) who they have in for training

You can't have exclusive access to these lads and they are free tio train with other clubs as well - so the better lads may be training with 2-3 professional clubs then when they decide which club to sign for they then will sign a contract to that club at u9 level (official entry age group in the academy system)

When they are in the academy at that age they need to live within 60 minutes travel time of the academy they attend

As for getting the club to look at him you could maybe drop an email and recommend? I know many clubs don't respond on the nasis of an unsolicited email/letter/phone call etc - but a forward thinking club may well have access to a local scout/network they can get to check it out and report back