The Sean McAuley Experiment

Guest bigbadbreeze

As regards to your earlier post scram are'nt Utd in the same boat as us in regard to not having a under 7 or 8s group from where I stand Wednesday just don't push the boat out enough.

I'm not sure if we have 6 and 7 year olds training groups tbh - which is why i was asking - dunno about the pigs either but i know Donny do - many clubs have these days tbh 0 can be a bugger cos you can invest time and money onto a lad only for hi m to go to your rivals when they elect to sign a contract - but it's a case of casting the net wide - some will slip through but you'll get a lot more than you lose

pm yer mate,

Ok mate - i'll read it tomorrow and get back to you later - ta

the problem with our academy is the way the lads are coached. the talents there then there coached in all the wrong ways. Look at how many of the players produced are attacking players! Fact is swfc football club take a shine to 6 foot 3 centre halfs who can head it far and kick it long. take a look at other academey side for example southampton.... They are coached to pass the ball around from the back into midfield, out wide, into strikers feet with freedom to expresss themselves where as our academy are coached to put it into channels for strikers to chase and win throw ins in oppenents half. How can people expect to produce the next rooney or ronaldo when the ball players are constantly watching the ball in the air bypassing them . Fact is our academy is coached in a robotic way by coaches who wouldnt know a footballer is he walked up and smacked them in the nose.

Think the fact that our club has not had a scouting system for god knows how long speaks for itself.

For years both our first team and academy managers have been a one man show.

Providing them with no help whatsoever is the blame, not themselves.

FACT

The problem is, although now there will be no more excuses, the results of any new investment will not become apparent for years to come, so we wont know if all these new resources we will hopefully get are being put to good use until its too late.

A gamble worth taking? Or should some of this new money go into the staff budget (more qualified personnel at all levels)

7 isn't too young but it's not an official academy age group - but many clubs have 6 and 7 year olds (sometimes younger) who they have in for training

You can't have exclusive access to these lads and they are free tio train with other clubs as well - so the better lads may be training with 2-3 professional clubs then when they decide which club to sign for they then will sign a contract to that club at u9 level (official entry age group in the academy system)

When they are in the academy at that age they need to live within 60 minutes travel time of the academy they attend

As for getting the club to look at him you could maybe drop an email and recommend? I know many clubs don't respond on the nasis of an unsolicited email/letter/phone call etc - but a forward thinking club may well have access to a local scout/network they can get to check it out and report back

Thanks Scram. Sadly, with his Dad being a season ticket holder at Bloomfield Road, and the 60 mins travelling distance thing, I think he's destined for Blackpool

Guest foreverSWFC

Why all the negativity towards McAuley? It's stupid the man works hard for the club and has probably produced some of the best young players he possibly could.

I'm no expert at this but i think where the problem lies is that the academy all the way down to u'11s, when you first start playing 11 a-side, play a different system and formation, just aiming to win the games not actually coaching the players in basic technical skills. That winning mentality at grass roots level does not happen in countries like Spain, France and Holland. This is why England were shown up at the World Cup. I think i read somewhere that Xavi of Barcelona played his first competitive game at 15.

Clubs like us and many others around us have this mentality i believeand without financial backing like the top clubs do, we are simply not going to get good players through the academy. I know teams like Arsenal and Southampton use the same system and coach the same things in their academies. If we want to develop some good prospects we should be looking at the Southampton model.

I'm no expert at this but i think where the problem lies is that the academy all the way down to u'11s, when you first start playing 11 a-side, play a different system and formation, just aiming to win the games not actually coaching the players in basic technical skills. That winning mentality at grass roots level does not happen in countries like Spain, France and Holland. This is why England were shown up at the World Cup. I think i read somewhere that Xavi of Barcelona played his first competitive game at 15.

Clubs like us and many others around us have this mentality i believeand without financial backing like the top clubs do, we are simply not going to get good players through the academy. I know teams like Arsenal and Southampton use the same system and coach the same things in their academies. If we want to develop some good prospects we should be looking at the Southampton model.

None of that is in any way accurate

What system do Arsenal and Saints use?

And why do people keep making stuff up like other academies concentrate on winning games rather than developing players?

Guest Big Guns

are you on drugs

if McAuley was a horse he'd have been shot a long time ago and made into glue, even the french wouldn't eat him he's that bad.

like it :biggrin:

Apparently our academy has given up on Sheffield and is focusing on Durham for player recruiting as Sheffield isn't producing the goods. Funny that, cos I thought it should be the academy itself that produces the players, and that United seem to be coping just fine. McAuley's methods (playing players out of position for a full season to give them the experience) are not working. He has ruined the future careers of a lot of young lads who were highly thought of (James Cottingham & Jack Barnett)

With an academy based in Sheffield we couldn't take kids from Durham. FA regs state you can only take kids from a 90 minute catchment area..durham's probably just outside that.

My son trains with the development squad u6's at Hillsborough one thing that most parents don't like is that you can't watch the training sessions because there in the dome

sixes and sevens are all mixed together

He also trains with manchester city which is a lot more organised

if at 9 he had a choice of which one to join my only reason at the moment to join wednesday would be because we support them he as had the chance to train at united but wouldn't go because he said he couldn't play for them

Uniteds under 7's are really good and at least 5 of them started at Wednesday then chose to leave for united

I think people are missing the obvious when trying work out if the blame is with McAuley, the lack of a scouting network, or the lack of facilities / investment- it's probably all three!

If you improvedtge scouting network, you would have a larger pool of players to choose from = better chance of obtaining decent players.

Improve facilities = better chance of retaining thecplayers you do find / slightly easier to persaude the better youth to sign.

Replace McAuley with a more qualified Academy Head= a possibly better chance of imporoving the players that you do have.

So, why should we settle for any less than improving all three?

Guest bigbadbreeze

Our reserves Lost 4-0 to the mighty Barnsley, with only ONE senior player in there team.

If only Sean could have a budget to match Barnsleys!!!!!!!

With an academy based in Sheffield we couldn't take kids from Durham. FA regs state you can only take kids from a 90 minute catchment area..durham's probably just outside that.

60 minutes travel time 9-11 - no restrictions under 8/9 years old because it's not an official age group - but by the u9 intake it will matter of course - but 9in theory you could have a 10 year old Lionel Messi in some parts of Cornwall and no club would be able to sign him - stupid rule (as are many of the original academy rules).

Has to be said that not all clubs take much notice of academy criteria anyway.

60 minutes travel time 9-11 - no restrictions under 8/9 years old because it's not an official age group - but by the u9 intake it will matter of course - but 9in theory you could have a 10 year old Lionel Messi in some parts of Cornwall and no club would be able to sign him - stupid rule (as are many of the original academy rules).

Has to be said that not all clubs take much notice of academy criteria anyway.

Cheers for clearing that up, I was doing some work for a Premier League Academy two years ago and thought it was 90 minutes from memory but obviously not. Still, it fits in with my point regarding Durham.

Man Utd seem to have a funny concept of 60 mins drive time though from what I hear.

Our reserves Lost 4-0 to the mighty Barnsley, with only ONE senior player in there team.

If only Sean could have a budget to match Barnsleys!!!!!!!

The budget thing is a load of crap anyway tbh - to have an academy a club has to commit a minimum amount of money per season to run the academy - but there is an FA grant which i believe is about £140k pa.

many clubs operate their academies on a shoestring - which is a totally false economy as more clubs are realising that organic growth and maintenance is the only way forward especially while player fees and wages are so obscene

Clubs like Brentford and Brighton are trying to gain academy status and putting an unusally disproportionate (historically) amount of money into their overall club infrastructure - i think Brentford may be playing a dangerous game but Brighton are doing exactly the right thing bur crucially they are strategically targetting and recruiting staff onto key positions who have a proven track record in their field.

It's the strategic planning combined with forward thinking that can be measured against a set of criteria that is the impressive thing - chucking money at any problem is rarely the answer - even less so in something as highly complex as developing footballers

It'd nopt really the money - it's how it is spent that is critical - good staff make good academies - not bundles of cash

Edited by scram

we do Scram but the pigs took 2 from down here.

A lot of clubs bend thise rules - fair play to the pigs for being proactuve

They might have a satellite centre there anyway (this is hoiw rumblewitted the rules are - you are allowed a satelitte centre that isn't in the 60/90 minute travel time)

I remember Watford had a satellite centre in Swindon which was quite productive - but Swindon complained to the FA about the encroachment and so Watfoprd had to shut down the satellite centre - but then Swindon couldn't offer those boys anything as they wouldn't fund the running oif the centre and the intake was too large for their own centre of excellence (a misnomer oif ever there was one) - so the boys lost out

As i said some of the criteria were plainly thought up by 6th formers who had just finished their first night on the booze - utter rumblewiterry