The Sean McAuley Experiment

Guest bigbadbreeze

Guest bigbadbreeze

Now 5 Years in charge of our academy and the results have been very interesting, his philosophy of a none results based system could not be working any better as we consistently prop up both reserve and academy league tables. With the resources of the mighty Bradford, Port vale and Rotherham all above us, but according to Sean it’s all about player development, so who have we brought through over this period. If I have missed any please feel free to add in.

Mark Beavers

Richard Wood (Coventry)

Tommy Spurr

Sean Macallister (Shrewsbury Town)

To be fair Richard Wood was already in the first team Before Sean was involved, Not much to shout about really when you look at what other clubs of our size produce Southampton and our neighbours.

Future prospects and highly regarded by Mcauley Nathan Modest and Liam Palmer.

I hope they become stars for Wednesday but on previous experience I’m not holding out much hope. The big question is how do players from an experience of getting beat every week come into the first team with a winning mentality.

Now 5 Years in charge of our academy and the results have been very interesting, his philosophy of a none results based system could not be working any better as we consistently prop up both reserve and academy league tables. With the resources of the mighty Bradford, Port vale and Rotherham all above us, but according to Sean it's all about player development, so who have we brought through over this period. If I have missed any please feel free to add in.

Mark Beavers

Richard Wood (Coventry)

Tommy Spurr

Sean Macallister (Shrewsbury Town)

To be fair Richard Wood was already in the first team Before Sean was involved, Not much to shout about really when you look at what other clubs of our size produce Southampton and our neighbours.

Future prospects and highly regarded by Mcauley Nathan Modest and Liam Palmer.

I hope they become stars for Wednesday but on previous experience I'm not holding out much hope. The big question is how do players from an experience of getting beat every week come into the first team with a winning mentality.

Perhaps it would be better if you directed the question at the people who for the past 15 years have run this club into the ground, including the academy.

I asked the very same question in the academy section. Nobody has responded. There is no doubt whatsoever that the academy team is under-performing and it is also not producing many players worthy of first team football. This will be the first question I ask at the next fans forum.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Lets be right McAuley isn't the biggest problem at the academy, far from it, it's the wanton lack of cash "invested" since god were a lad.

The Pigs have had this aspect of the club spot on, hence their academy has flourished and why kids pick theirs over ours.

I asked the very same question in the academy section. Nobody has responded. There is no doubt whatsoever that the academy team is under-performing and it is also not producing many players worthy of first team football. This will be the first question I ask at the next fans forum.

It needs to start with the question of how SUFC academy got to the final of the FA youth cup and ours got knocked out in round two. ALL the players playing for united were available to us ......why were non of them spotted and brougt in?

There is a lot of competition out there for clubs. You have got Wednesday, United, Rotherham, Chesterfield, Barnsley, Leeds, Forest, Man Utd and Man City offering places. You also have to get in before others and if your scouting network doesn't catch these players early then the others will. If we haven't paid for a proper scouting network then we will miss these players. Our academy will not change overnight and it will take time for it to improve with the right funding put in. For those that are not impressed with our academy what do you think to Chelsea's? For the money they have spent on their's hardly brought anyone through have they?

Guest foreverSWFC

Sean McAuley has been one of the biggest sucesses to come out of the dark days at hillsborough.

The problem is we have not been able to compete financially with other teams when it comes to getting the best academy players. I believe now with Milan that could change over the next couple of years.

Edited by foreverSWFC

Sean McAuley has been one of the biggest sucesses to come out of the dark days at hillsborough.

The problem is we have not been able to compete financially with other teams when it comes to getting the best academy players. I believe now with Milan that could change over the next couple of years.

Why has he?

There is a lot of competition out there for clubs. You have got Wednesday, United, Rotherham, Chesterfield, Barnsley, Leeds, Forest, Man Utd and Man City offering places. You also have to get in before others and if your scouting network doesn't catch these players early then the others will. If we haven't paid for a proper scouting network then we will miss these players. Our academy will not change overnight and it will take time for it to improve with the right funding put in. For those that are not impressed with our academy what do you think to Chelsea's? For the money they have spent on their's hardly brought anyone through have they?

Chelsea have had a strategic plan for the last half dozen years or so which was implemented when Frank Arnesen was appointed - the programme is starting to see results with some very good young players - Jack cork, Michael Mancienne, josh mceachran, jeffrey bruma, ben gordon - and prior to those John Terry.

And it's not about money at our level - it's about vision, targets, legwork, contacts, networks - it's about getting out there and stopping with the lame excuses - Donny have u7's and u8's development squads - do we? If not, why not?

I was speaking to a youth coach the other day at a championship club and he had recently held a night of trials for lads that had been identified and put into their advanced development centre (so they had already been pre-scouted and were training with the club outside the official academy) - and he had 61 boys at the trial - and this was just one of the 5 trial nights he was hosting - so potentially 300 kids who had already been screened and deemed good enough - what are we doing?

If you sit back and whine that there's no point because everybody else will just get the kids then that's exactly what will happen - if you show enthusiasm, interest and commitment to the kids then they (and crucially their parents) will be interested in return.

There is no reason - especially money - why we have a crap academy other than it has been allowed to be crap - people at the academy and in the club have allowed that to be the case

I could tell you of loads of youth development coaches who could go in there today and improve it exponentially without spending an extra penny.

And it's not about money at our level - it's about vision, targets, legwork, contacts, networks - it's about getting out there and stopping with the lame excuses - Donny have u7's and u8's development squads - do we? If not, why not?

think so, think Steve Haslam coaches them, could be wrong though.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

think so, think Steve Haslam coaches them, could be wrong though.

Steve Haslam, the Hartlepool defender?

The Pigs have had this aspect of the club spot on, hence their academy has flourished and why kids pick theirs over ours.

Too right.

When my mates lads were invited to both academies a few years ago, ours was a complete shambles and Uniteds ultra professional by comparison. He played with Jordan Slew who has just made his debut for Utd I believe, before being released.

It's not improved, and unfortunately parents and kids are very single minded these days when it comes to making the most of what they have..staunch Wednesadyite that I am, I wouldn't hesitate in putting any kid of mine

into Utd's superior academy.

Guest foreverSWFC

that my friend,is utter testicles

How is it?? As a club we have not financially been able to invest money into our academy hence why alot of the kids from this area have joined the Sheffield United academy and been a success.

What Sean McAuley has done is work his socks of for the academy and has done his best to produce good young players we possibly can, Wood, Beevers, Spurr, N. Wood, McAllister, Palmer have all made it pro. Watching these players come through has been a joy to watch during all the problems we have encountered.

How is it?? As a club we have not financially been able to invest money into our academy hence why alot of the kids from this area have joined the Sheffield United academy and been a success.

What Sean McAuley has done is work his socks of for the academy and has done his best to produce good young players we possibly can, Wood, Beevers, Spurr, N. Wood, McAllister, Palmer have all made it pro. Watching these players come through has been a joy to watch during all the problems we have encountered.

i'll ask........

Sean??