Addick In Peace, Question For You All

Guest Addick In Peace

Guest Addick In Peace

Hi all,

I support Charlton Athletic and am not here to dish out any banter or such, just have a question about my upcoming visit to your ground in January.

I'm currently doing the 92 and visiting Hillsborough as part of it, this is probably my favourite ground that I have not visited so I'm looking forward to it. I was looking on wikipedia when I saw a great photo taken of the ground from a place called Shiecliffe about a mile from the ground. Does anyone know if this spot to take the photo is on public land like by a road and could pinpoint the location for me so I could take a few photos myself, it would be appreciated.

Link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_Stadium (the photo is next to the 'records' section on the right hand side of the page and has the kop in the foreground with terraced houses in the background)

A larger photo is available on the link above if you click on the photo when on wikipedia.

post-19146-079047000 1293117022_thumb.jp

Thanks for any replies and good luck for the rest of the season, hope I can visit Hillsborough again with Charlton, next time watching championship football.

Edited by Addick In Peace

If you 'googlemap ' Herries Road, Sheffield, you will see the A6102 (which is Herries Road). This road comes down to the Kop end at Hillsborough from quite a height (Shirecliffe) and I'm sure you would be able to get that picture from a number of places up there.

Edited by kernowl

This look like its taken from the hill to the side of the 5 arches railway bridge not sure about access ill have a look on google maps

yep it's the 1st right turn after the arches(scaithwood drive).allong the path you can see (and take pics on a normal camera) both hillsborough and owlerton stadiums.

Edited by brian joicey

Guest Addick In Peace

Thanks for your help everyone, its a great place to take a picture, unlike our home ground The Valley which you can't see till your right on top of it.

@Chris_B thanks, this is what football should be more like.

Guest Saturday Owl

If you 'googlemap ' Herries Road, Sheffield, you will see the A6102 (which is Herries Road). This road comes down to the Kop end at Hillsborough from quite a height (Shirecliffe) and I'm sure you would be able to get that picture from a number of places up there.

Try this ^^

Hope were both in the Premier League again soon, were both far too big to be in this garbage league. Must be worse for you though, 2 seasons in it. :ph34r:

Hi all,

I support Charlton Athletic and am not here to dish out any banter or such, just have a question about my upcoming visit to your ground in January.

I'm currently doing the 92 and visiting Hillsborough as part of it, this is probably my favourite ground that I have not visited so I'm looking forward to it. I was looking on wikipedia when I saw a great photo taken of the ground from a place called Shiecliffe about a mile from the ground. Does anyone know if this spot to take the photo is on public land like by a road and could pinpoint the location for me so I could take a few photos myself, it would be appreciated.

Link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_Stadium (the photo is next to the 'records' section on the right hand side of the page and has the kop in the foreground with terraced houses in the background)

A larger photo is available on the link above if you click on the photo when on wikipedia.

Thanks for any replies and good luck for the rest of the season, hope I can visit Hillsborough again with Charlton, next time watching championship football.

I used to live at Shirecliffe, there is new estate on the site of the old college grounds, next to the estate is a football pitch which I've walked on many times. There is also an old gun stand there. From this position you get a very good view of Hillsborough and a few of the surrounding area's.

The post code for Standish Avenue is S5 8XQ, if you look on google earth you should be able to find it quite easily. If you are wanting to go and take photo's from that position yourself, there is no acess from Standish Avenue, access can be gained via Standish Bank.

Be careful up that neck of the woods though, Utd's academy, or Pig Farm as I like to call it, is in that area, wouldn't like to see you catch anything.

There was a poster on here who took a few excellent photo's on the approach to the Kop from Herries rd. I think it may have been Jamsandwich, apologies if I'm wrong.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Guest Addick In Peace

Thanks for the link johnowls and Hootie for the postcode, I'll take some photos from these locations and yes dan27, I will definetly be sharing them with you all on the forum next month.

Also if anybody knows 'jamsandwich' or knows the link for the photos he took I'd love to see them as would a few people here as well.

Oh and thanks for the advice on Utds training ground I'll take care!

I don't think it's the same position as the shot on that Wikipedia article, but I got some great views/pictures from this location:

hillsborough_viewpoint.png

Not too far from the stadium, but fairly high up to get a decent viewing angle, I think johnowls mentioned the same place earlier in the thread.