Alan Irvine - Attacking manager?

Guest starrydave

247 members have voted

1. 1. Should Alan Irvine stay on now that he is trying to display attractive, attacking football?

• Yes
    • No

Guest starrydave

It seams that public opinion is changing on Alan Irvine. Saturday to me showed the culmination of a few weeks work of trying to get the team into an attacking mentality.

TBH, I think he started this against Huddersfield. Though we got destroyed, I thought that he did set us up to attack - we just were not very good at it. Since then AI has had numerous victories, and I personally couldnt stop smiling for the entire game on Saturday.

So... Do you reckon that AI should have our full backing now?

People underestimate the impact Johnson has on this team. By far and away, on his day, the most dangerous player in the league. Lightning pace, can play wide or up front, and gives us an 'out' ball when defending. If Johnson had been fit all season, I reckon we'd be 5/6 points clear. The lad is the difference between scrambling into the play-offs, or automatic promotion imo.

Mellor and Morrison up front, with Johnson wide would be lethal. Big lad to play alongside Miller in the middle, and a mobile confident centre half. Add that lot to a fit squad, and you've got promotion.

I suspect there are lots on here that want him to fail. He's had dogs abuse for months from some, so if he turns it round they will look like complete lobbers (bigger).

Of course they won't. If he's changed things for the better, then good for him and the team. It doesn't change the fact that we have been playing dour boring tripe earlier.

I don't like him for being arrogant and nasty towards fans.

Guest Triplej2

I suspect there are lots on here that want him to fail. He's had dogs abuse for months from some, so if he turns it round they will look like complete lobbers (bigger).

No wins in the last 9 games last season, playing for draws when Stevie f*cking Wonder could see we needed wins.

I find it very hard to forgive him for that but forgive him I will IF he gets us up automatically.

he's had dog's abuse because he is a football coward who's overseen someone awful defeats and footballing lessons from such luminaries as bournemouth, Bury and carlisle.

so stop being so f*cking simplistic and righteous.

Guest starrydave

No wins in the last 9 games last season, playing for draws when Stevie f*cking Wonder could see we needed wins.

I find it very hard to forgive him for that but forgive him I will IF he gets us up automatically.

he's had dog's abuse because he is a football coward who's overseen someone awful defeats and footballing lessons from such luminaries as bournemouth, Bury and carlisle.

Glass half empty mate?

Our squad last season is, I think, possibly the worst one we have had in the last 20 years, and I include the early part of the last decade in that. Our best strikers couldnt score, our midfielders were cak and our most creative talent (jj) was always injured. I dont think any manager could have kept us up.

In regards to this season, I think his biggest criticism should be that he didnt buy any centre backs. without them we have had to bend the mentality of the team so that we were not focusing on attacking. Our best defender IMHO for the first half of the season...? probably has to be Marcus Tudgay! the amount of work he had to do, particurlarly in set pieces was massive - no wonder he could never get forward quick enough to score.

I dont know what has changed in Irvines mentality - but I saw it at the Hudders game and he really is IMO going out to score one more than the opposition.

Chin up mate... I genuinely think he will get us promoted, and I'm not a happy clapper!

Guest starrydave

I'll eat my words if we get promoted (automatically).

Until that point he still as a lot to prove to me. A few results against poo poo opposition doesn't begin to change my mind.

Do you honestly not think that his mentality has changed over the last month or so?

Guest zero)))

That's right, our name says we're Sheffield Wednesday we should be winning 10-0 down here in the slums.

Admit it, if we get promoted this season, under Irvine, you and quite a few others are going to look like utter bellends.

Guest bonfire

I won't vote in this poll because the question is so loaded with assumptions that it is not worth answering.

Try thinking of an open question.

No wins in the last 9 games last season, playing for draws when Stevie f*cking Wonder could see we needed wins

What makes you think he didn't set out to win?

What makes you so sure that group of players weren't up to the mental challenge & that working in a negative workplace (of which AI had little control) had more of an impact you could imagine?

Guest starrydave

I won't vote in this poll because the question is so loaded with assumptions that it is not worth answering.

That hurts, you know, because I care so much what 'bonfire' from owlstalk thinks about it. Seriously, do you think I work for rumbleing ipsos mori or something?

If you dont like it, grow a rumbleing pair and start your own poll!

Try thinking of an open question.

try stop being a t\/\/@!

Edited by starrydave

Glass half empty mate?

Our squad last season is, I think, possibly the worst one we have had in the last 20 years, and I include the early part of the last decade in that. Our best strikers couldnt score, our midfielders were cak and our most creative talent (jj) was always injured. I dont think any manager could have kept us up.

In regards to this season, I think his biggest criticism should be that he didnt buy any centre backs. without them we have had to bend the mentality of the team so that we were not focusing on attacking. Our best defender IMHO for the first half of the season...? probably has to be Marcus Tudgay! the amount of work he had to do, particurlarly in set pieces was massive - no wonder he could never get forward quick enough to score.

I dont know what has changed in Irvines mentality - but I saw it at the Hudders game and he really is IMO going out to score one more than the opposition.

Chin up mate... I genuinely think he will get us promoted, and I'm not a happy clapper!

From his interview with Owlsonline

”In the summer I didn’t spend all my budget and I’m not just simply going to do that now for the sake of it.

“We are short at centre back at the moment and we have known for some time about that and we are short in the striking positions. But the list of players who we would like to bring to the club has changed and that has done because of some of them who we were interested in have already moved on.

“But I will be looking at both permanent and loan transfers when the window re-opens.

“Maybe I can look at a better calibre of player but we had good players lined up in the summer as well but couldn’t bring some of them here for various reasons.”

Mawene obviously springs to mind.