A Pit Villagers Tale

Guest search and destroy

Still got my old pit cross check from Thurcroft. No 424. Its on my wife's car keys.

Bet he hasn't a clue what you are on about Trevdi.

Pit villages in Derbyshire?

Glad that passing stories down by the camp fire is still going strong.

Still got my dads , from when he died underground in 57 at Treeton , cant beat the old memories though Reading , finest set of blokes you will ever meet ,.except for owlsfans that is :biggrin:

Edited by trevdi9

As a pit village dweller, I was quite excited about the Cup Final (we've never been anywhere near a cup final you know) against our illustrious neighbours in the bright city lights.

First impressions as I passed a impressive looking shopping complex (we only have a traditional cobbled outdoor shopping facility) was quite how racially diverse a City you have, I could have sworn I'd come off the M1 half an hour late and ended up in Bradford! Still onwards and upwards, our pit village is a litlle behind the times, we're not even cultural, let alone multicultural, it looked a festival of colour with lots of lovely looking restaurants and eateries.

Another thing i noticed was the incrediblely affordable houing, wow, there are some areas of this melting pot where one can buy a 3 bedroom house for £30k (www.rightmove.co.uk) so no problems for 1st time buyers here.

Mind you, it seems your fantastic city needs affordable housing due to the huge number who claim incapacity benefits, and Motablity Allowances, are there some deep rooted health problems or are a large number a little work shy.

The ground was OK, a poor view behind huge metal supports but I suppose its quite ancient, at half time I hurried down to the concourse, eager to see the TV replays to see if the "goals" were indeep offside but the TV's must have been taken down for maintenance, so I thought i'd grab a quick pint but it seems the beer was off.

In summary, a lovely place but call me old fashioned, i'll stick with the pit village thanks.

Mansfield?

Still got my old pit cross check from Thurcroft. No 424. Its on my wife's car keys.

Bet he hasn't a clue what you are on about Trevdi.

Pit villages in Derbyshire?

Glad that passing stories down by the camp fire is still going strong.

I've still got mine from Thurcroft...when were you there?? mine's 377

Still got my dads , from when he died underground in 57 at Treeton , cant beat the old memories though Reading , finest set of blokes you will ever meet ,.except for owlsfans that is :biggrin:

Agreed.

That's sad about your Dad Trevdi. Sorry to hear that.

I did my underground training at Treeton. I was at Orgreave at the time. You could eventually travel from one pit to the other - but I never did it.

I went there from Orgreave. When did that close (Orgreave)? 1985/86? After the strike, in any event.

Worked there until about 1990?

Then North Selby.

Finished in 1993.

No thats rubbish. Orgreave shut before the strike. I was on strike at Thurcroft.

I think I went to Thurcroft about 1980 - from Orgreave.

As a pit village dweller, I was quite excited about the Cup Final (we've never been anywhere near a cup final you know) against our illustrious neighbours in the bright city lights.

First impressions as I passed a impressive looking shopping complex (we only have a traditional cobbled outdoor shopping facility) was quite how racially diverse a City you have, I could have sworn I'd come off the M1 half an hour late and ended up in Bradford! Still onwards and upwards, our pit village is a litlle behind the times, we're not even cultural, let alone multicultural, it looked a festival of colour with lots of lovely looking restaurants and eateries.

Another thing i noticed was the incrediblely affordable houing, wow, there are some areas of this melting pot where one can buy a 3 bedroom house for £30k (www.rightmove.co.uk) so no problems for 1st time buyers here.

Mind you, it seems your fantastic city needs affordable housing due to the huge number who claim incapacity benefits, and Motablity Allowances, are there some deep rooted health problems or are a large number a little work shy.

The ground was OK, a poor view behind huge metal supports but I suppose its quite ancient, at half time I hurried down to the concourse, eager to see the TV replays to see if the "goals" were indeep offside but the TV's must have been taken down for maintenance, so I thought i'd grab a quick pint but it seems the beer was off.

In summary, a lovely place but call me old fashioned, i'll stick with the pit village thanks.

All that because you lost? Sad man.

Guest SPURTt

think he needs to flip back off down the pitt he just crawled out of

Please dont be disrespectful to miners , that worked in the bowels of the earth , just to keep thi Granny warm .st2.gif

Just wait till the Tories make it 70

Talk about going off thread.

My understanding is that anyone born before 1st April 1959 will still get their state pension at 65. It then goes up to 68.

This was brought in under Labour BTW. As were student fees, also.

I was born May 1959 so I can't get mine until 66 - bugger.

If offered any money - take it NOW.

Took mine at 50, saw the light as well, , worst thing i ever saw underground was at snaptime once,i was sat

eating when a blokes arm came up the belt,thought it was some bugger weeing about till i checked it was sick as a pig after that ,

Did a bit of training at orgreave and silverdales,and also worked at brookhouse, Thanks for the thought's about my dad Reading , but it was a long time ago now ,you get used to it mate

Edited by trevdi9