A Pit Villagers Tale

Guest search and destroy

So did I........I left 6 months before Thurcroft shut to go to uni so missed out on any redundancy money...couldn't wait to go though was just marking time after the strike

That must have been a sickener.

I left in 93 to go to Uni also. Managed to get redundo from N Selby. Pretty lucky really because it was still open.

I was travelling from the Peak District so managed to persuade them to let me go.

Took mine at 50, saw the light as well, , worst thing i ever saw underground was at snaptime once,i was sat

eating when a blokes arm came up the belt,thought it was some bugger weeing about till i checked it was sick as a pig after that ,

Did a bit of training at orgreave and silverdales,and also worked at brookhouse, Thanks for the thought's about my dad Reading , but it was a long time ago now ,you get used to it mate

My old fella worked at "brookhouse" !

As a pit village dweller, I was quite excited about the Cup Final (we've never been anywhere near a cup final you know) against our illustrious neighbours in the bright city lights.

First impressions as I passed a impressive looking shopping complex (we only have a traditional cobbled outdoor shopping facility) was quite how racially diverse a City you have, I could have sworn I'd come off the M1 half an hour late and ended up in Bradford! Still onwards and upwards, our pit village is a litlle behind the times, we're not even cultural, let alone multicultural, it looked a festival of colour with lots of lovely looking restaurants and eateries.

Another thing i noticed was the incrediblely affordable houing, wow, there are some areas of this melting pot where one can buy a 3 bedroom house for £30k (www.rightmove.co.uk) so no problems for 1st time buyers here.

Mind you, it seems your fantastic city needs affordable housing due to the huge number who claim incapacity benefits, and Motablity Allowances, are there some deep rooted health problems or are a large number a little work shy.

The ground was OK, a poor view behind huge metal supports but I suppose its quite ancient, at half time I hurried down to the concourse, eager to see the TV replays to see if the "goals" were indeep offside but the TV's must have been taken down for maintenance, so I thought i'd grab a quick pint but it seems the beer was off.

In summary, a lovely place but call me old fashioned, i'll stick with the pit village thanks.

Yeah I suggest you do that and if you stand near the shaft watch your back !

early 70s was when i was there,

My old fella did 19 years their,left after the strike with a "redundo" cheque in 85ish i think,he asked me what i wanted to do after leaving school in my second to last year in 84,i didn't have an answer at that time,so he said "tha could always come to work wi me down't pit"...........of course that never came about !

On the odd time he'd take me to show me where he worked as a youngster,i remember the scrapyard just before the level crossing and a little fishing spot over the tracks !

when i was at school they took us down the pit for a day at manvers main and can still remember the coal dust ,you guys who went down there for a living have my upmost admiration ......wont be long fellas till that evil woman gets her come -uppance

I worked underground for 44 years, and have supported the Owls for 50. I have two photos on my den wall, one of Hillsborough, and one of the old Langwith Colliery where I worked for twenty of those years before it closed in 1978.

When visitors look at the photos, I tell them that they are of the two places that have given me the most pleasure, and the most pain in my life, but that I can't remember which was which.

Guest Dingle Don

I had the distinct pleasure of sampling local ale at the Hillsborough Working Mens Club. The (recent refurb) 70’s decor and car battery powered black and white TV’s gave the place an authentic feel. On my arrival, Brenda a one eyed Bouncer gave me a complimentary spit guard to ensure my retina’s remained dry if I had to converse with any of the locals. Big Trace the ‘very’ friendly barmaid/man sporting a distinctive Skull tattoo on her/his right forearm with a Ma and Da inscription, served me a pint of Sheffield’s finest and informed me that tonight could be my lucky night. Fortunately for me, she/he was referring to the daily entertainment on offer. 9 numbered bingo (3 x 3 grid in case mathematics isn’t your strong point) which was controversially won by Pikey Jeff, a local accountant.

On to the game and it was evenly contested and very enjoyable. Good banter form both sets of supporters and a cracking game. Best of luck in terms of addressing your clubs finances (Been there and it’s not nice) and I genuinely hope you achieve promotion as a club as big as Wednesday shouldn’t be where it is.

Guest Buxtonian

As you travel South from Sheffield it's not so much the black faces as the BLACK LEGS (Spencer scum)

I've always considered you a very knowledgable, and fair -minded man, and I enjoy your well -considered arguments, but you've dropped the proverbial b+++++k there nev.

Derbyshire NUM were never part of the old 'Spencer' union, and they were among the first to support the Yorkshiremen when they came out on strke, and among the last to go back, unlike a lot of my old Countymen. Whatever they were, they were NEVER BLACKLEGS. And I should know, since, as a member of higher management, I had to travel through the picket lines every day.

'Search and destroy' made some very valid points. If he travelled to S6 via the M1, he would have had to pass through the Pitsmoor District, as I have done frequently to support my beloved Owls. Often, as I have travelled that way, I've made a game of counting as you pass Forgemasters the number of White faces I passed. It has rightly ben compared to Bradford.

Chesterfield can lay claim to a number of good things. It has been , and still is, esentially a Market Town, the markets, open and closed, forming the centre of a respectable shopping centre. Just on the outskirts of the Town is the old engineering firm of Markhams who made the equipment for the drilling of the Channel Tunnel, and can claim to be the engineering version of Forgemasters. The football club, quite an old one incidently, despite having to move into a different part of town, and having the cross of DA to bear, has produced some notable Goalkeepers in its time. I have a sister-in-law, whose husband is a regular at Hillsborough, who much prefers to shop in Chesterfield. So, let the lad have his say, disagree by all means, but as someone born and bred in Yorkshire, but who lived and worked for some 40 years in North Derbyshire, and found the people extremely friendly, I ask, please leave off the insults. Don't forget that they were one of the last clubs around here to go to an FACup semi (and be dreadfully robbed)

I had the distinct pleasure of sampling local ale at the Hillsborough Working Mens Club. The (recent refurb) 70's decor and car battery powered black and white TV's gave the place an authentic feel. On my arrival, Brenda a one eyed Bouncer gave me a complimentary spit guard to ensure my retina's remained dry if I had to converse with any of the locals. Big Trace the 'very' friendly barmaid/man sporting a distinctive Skull tattoo on her/his right forearm with a Ma and Da inscription, served me a pint of Sheffield's finest and informed me that tonight could be my lucky night. Fortunately for me, she/he was referring to the daily entertainment on offer. 9 numbered bingo (3 x 3 grid in case mathematics isn't your strong point) which was controversially won by Pikey Jeff, a local accountant.

On to the game and it was evenly contested and very enjoyable. Good banter form both sets of supporters and a cracking game. Best of luck in terms of addressing your clubs finances (Been there and it's not nice) and I genuinely hope you achieve promotion as a club as big as Wednesday shouldn't be where it is.

Question - can you type more words per minute having an extra finger

Guest Dingle Don

Question - can you type more words per minute having an extra finger

I actually find it a hindrance. Can you view more words with your extra eye?

Guest Buxtonian

I worked underground for 44 years, and have supported the Owls for 50. I have two photos on my den wall, one of Hillsborough, and one of the old Langwith Colliery where I worked for twenty of those years before it closed in 1978.

When visitors look at the photos, I tell them that they are of the two places that have given me the most pleasure, and the most pain in my life, but that I can't remember which was which.

Hi. Dumbold,

Only 50 years? I too have memories of Langwith Colliery, and the scars to prove it. Remember the 'finest Mining Engineer in the world'? the mighty Hancock? I did my first two years as an undermanager there along with 'Dad' Hayes, so yes, I've had pain from more ways than one.

Until moving into the Peaks about 3 years ago, we used to meet friends every other Sat at 'Jug and Glass'

Surprising how paths cross. Remember some of the old characters, especially 'Georgie Boy' form Bolsover.

Guest Dingle Don

I'm just waiting for the day 'Our John' turns his back on them and heads for the bright lights of S6.

He’s always complimentary to your club and rightly so given the adulation and high esteem he is held in. I’d be very surprised if he didn’t end up at S6 at some point in the future and if given time would do a good job for you IMO (not that I want him to leave).

His first season with us wasn’t the best, but the football on display now is as good as I’ve ever seen from a Chesterfield team.