A Pit Villagers Tale

Guest search and destroy

I had the distinct pleasure of sampling local ale at the Hillsborough Working Mens Club. The (recent refurb) 70's decor and car battery powered black and white TV's gave the place an authentic feel. On my arrival, Brenda a one eyed Bouncer gave me a complimentary spit guard to ensure my retina's remained dry if I had to converse with any of the locals. Big Trace the 'very' friendly barmaid/man sporting a distinctive Skull tattoo on her/his right forearm with a Ma and Da inscription, served me a pint of Sheffield's finest and informed me that tonight could be my lucky night. Fortunately for me, she/he was referring to the daily entertainment on offer. 9 numbered bingo (3 x 3 grid in case mathematics isn't your strong point) which was controversially won by Pikey Jeff, a local accountant.

On to the game and it was evenly contested and very enjoyable. Good banter form both sets of supporters and a cracking game. Best of luck in terms of addressing your clubs finances (Been there and it's not nice) and I genuinely hope you achieve promotion as a club as big as Wednesday shouldn't be where it is.

That is all well and good Dingle my man.

But, it is common knowledge that you have already bought a dabber. and have booked a horse and cart to visit said friendly barwhatever on a fortnightly basis.

All the best for the rest of the season.

Hi. Dumbold,

Only 50 years? I too have memories of Langwith Colliery, and the scars to prove it. Remember the 'finest Mining Engineer in the world'? the mighty Hancock? I did my first two years as an undermanager there along with 'Dad' Hayes, so yes, I've had pain from more ways than one.

Until moving into the Peaks about 3 years ago, we used to meet friends every other Sat at 'Jug and Glass'

Surprising how paths cross. Remember some of the old characters, especially 'Georgie Boy' form Bolsover.

Hello Eric

We last spoke outside the ground about a month ago, when I was helping with a bucket collection for the smile tickets (you didn't put anything in by the way).

Yes, I remember Jim Hancock very well. Coincidently, I spent my first two years as an undermanager with him as well. Sadly both him and George Wright are no longer with us.

Hello Eric

We last spoke outside the ground about a month ago, when I was helping with a bucket collection for the smile tickets (you didn't put anything in by the way).

Yes, I remember Jim Hancock very well. Coincidently, I spent my first two years as an undermanager with him as well. Sadly both him and George Wright are no longer with us.

flipping undermanagers...I've poo poo em :biggrin:

We were once cutting on the face and some wee pipe of an undermanager asked why we were only cutting 15 mtrs ata time then timbering up....I told him that the roof was dodgy and i didn't want anyone hurt...he told me that we had an area director from the NCB coming and he wanted us to cut through to the tailgate so the director could see us turn it around...after he threatened to send me out of the pit i did what he asked...we cut the 100 mtrs into the gate...and the whole of the face dropped in..we were stood for 2 months... :mad:

You fail to name " said " sad pit village, or which pit pony you arrived on, but I hope you got back to your fellow clansmen again inbreds I mean, sorry about the culture shock i.e. knowing

there was such a term, must have been a real shock that, glad it was night time so your eyes didn`t have to adjust that much.

PS. welcome to 21 st C. life now you know, keep it secret from your clansmen as we don`t want mass suicide on our hands.

Guest search and destroy

Question - can you type more words per minute having an extra finger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_incest_case , mmm maybe he's really from North Derbyshire and it's just lazy journalisam.

One thing to add to my visit to the big city, a fantastic selection of fully licenced taxi's to bring one home safely to the plush city crash pads after a night out in one of the many restaurants serving excellent foods from the East.

An idea to the many thousands laid up on Incapacity Benefit, I would suggest a business to supply spare parts to ageing Nissan Primera's could prove to be quite profitable.

I'm suprised by many of the responses to this thread that many SWFC supporters also come from the pit villages, come on, admit it lads, Sheffield's a poo poo hole.

http://en.wikipedia....eld_incest_case , mmm maybe he's really from North Derbyshire and it's just lazy journalisam.

One thing to add to my visit to the big city, a fantastic selection of fully licenced taxi's to bring one home safely to the plush city crash pads after a night out in one of the many restaurants serving excellent foods from the East.

An idea to the many thousands laid up on Incapacity Benefit, I would suggest a business to supply spare parts to ageing Nissan Primera's could prove to be quite profitable.

I'm suprised by many of the responses to this thread that many SWFC supporters also come from the pit villages, come on, admit it lads, Sheffield's a poo poo hole.

Thanks to working sewage system you get most of it.

Guest search and destroy

You fail to name " said " sad pit village, or which pit pony you arrived on, but I hope you got back to your fellow clansmen again inbreds I mean, sorry about the culture shock i.e. knowing

there was such a term, must have been a real shock that, glad it was night time so your eyes didn`t have to adjust that much.

PS. welcome to 21 st C. life now you know, keep it secret from your clansmen as we don`t want mass suicide on our hands.

Chesterfield Sir, you trendy city types refer to it as a Pit Village.

http://en.wikipedia....eld_incest_case

Inbreds? Who, us?

You should see my sister in law though, I would.

flipping undermanagers...I've poo poo em :biggrin:

We were once cutting on the face and some wee pipe of an undermanager asked why we were only cutting 15 mtrs ata time then timbering up....I told him that the roof was dodgy and i didn't want anyone hurt...he told me that we had an area director from the NCB coming and he wanted us to cut through to the tailgate so the director could see us turn it around...after he threatened to send me out of the pit i did what he asked...we cut the 100 mtrs into the gate...and the whole of the face dropped in..we were stood for 2 months... :mad:

Do you remember SO 24s retreat face at Thurcroft. That was a total mess on returning after the strike. Didn't move at all for about 6 months.

Or did you work on SO 1's. That went on for ever and was red hot. Horrible. Ugh.

Do you remember SO 24s retreat face at Thurcroft. That was a total mess on returning after the strike. Didn't move at all for about 6 months.

Or did you work on SO 1's. That went on for ever and was red hot. Horrible. Ugh.

yeah worked on both of them....trying to forget now TBH :biggrin:

As a pit village dweller, I was quite excited about the Cup Final (we've never been anywhere near a cup final you know) against our illustrious neighbours in the bright city lights.

First impressions as I passed a impressive looking shopping complex (we only have a traditional cobbled outdoor shopping facility) was quite how racially diverse a City you have, I could have sworn I'd come off the M1 half an hour late and ended up in Bradford! Still onwards and upwards, our pit village is a litlle behind the times, we're not even cultural, let alone multicultural, it looked a festival of colour with lots of lovely looking restaurants and eateries.

Another thing i noticed was the incrediblely affordable houing, wow, there are some areas of this melting pot where one can buy a 3 bedroom house for £30k (www.rightmove.co.uk) so no problems for 1st time buyers here.

Mind you, it seems your fantastic city needs affordable housing due to the huge number who claim incapacity benefits, and Motablity Allowances, are there some deep rooted health problems or are a large number a little work shy.

The ground was OK, a poor view behind huge metal supports but I suppose its quite ancient, at half time I hurried down to the concourse, eager to see the TV replays to see if the "goals" were indeep offside but the TV's must have been taken down for maintenance, so I thought i'd grab a quick pint but it seems the beer was off.

In summary, a lovely place but call me old fashioned, i'll stick with the pit village thanks.

We're happy enough to dish it out so should be big enough to take it....

That made me smile tbh

Guest SPURTt

what a boring thread

.............................Whats up with you has Jerry Kyle finished ...............................

As a pit village dweller, I was quite excited about the Cup Final (we've never been anywhere near a cup final you know) against our illustrious neighbours in the bright city lights.

First impressions as I passed a impressive looking shopping complex (we only have a traditional cobbled outdoor shopping facility) was quite how racially diverse a City you have, I could have sworn I'd come off the M1 half an hour late and ended up in Bradford! Still onwards and upwards, our pit village is a litlle behind the times, we're not even cultural, let alone multicultural, it looked a festival of colour with lots of lovely looking restaurants and eateries.

Another thing i noticed was the incrediblely affordable houing, wow, there are some areas of this melting pot where one can buy a 3 bedroom house for £30k (www.rightmove.co.uk) so no problems for 1st time buyers here.

Mind you, it seems your fantastic city needs affordable housing due to the huge number who claim incapacity benefits, and Motablity Allowances, are there some deep rooted health problems or are a large number a little work shy.

The ground was OK, a poor view behind huge metal supports but I suppose its quite ancient, at half time I hurried down to the concourse, eager to see the TV replays to see if the "goals" were indeep offside but the TV's must have been taken down for maintenance, so I thought i'd grab a quick pint but it seems the beer was off.

In summary, a lovely place but call me old fashioned, i'll stick with the pit village thanks.

hows the vibration white finger these days?, and the claim for the knees?, got yours in yet?...whats up mingmong, big city scare yer???...pit villages, inbreeding and benefit claimants..."our joe ant worked since pit shut, 25 year ago"

anybody in your village thats not an arsehole?

Edited by council owl

I don't mind Chesterfield FC, hope you do well (But hope DA fails in life). But you really need to stop this hatred towards Wednesday.

You're Derbyshire... Go hate on Derby County or something.

This seek ( should be sick to the pit of my " village") and destroy person`s reputation is desparate for coming on here, its a counterprodutive arguement.