Potter, buxton and sedgwick ....

Potter played well last night, what he does is always gives his teamate an option to pass top him, he keeps the game ticking over for us. Tonight he did what we wanted him to do more though and that was to pass forward, he did this on quite a few occasions.

I like the look of Teale, Potter and Coke in midfield. Add, Miller, JJ or Tudgay on the right and I would be happy with that midfield.

Buxton was OK as usual, no idea about the 2nd goal but if he did not get a shout from Purse then he had every right to go for the header.

Sedgwick is poo poo, end of discussion.

Potter had one of his better games last night for me, cant believe I actually said that btw!! Maybe its being dropped or maybe just the lower standard of opponent but he did get more involved. That said I would still keep him on the bench on Saturday.

Buxton was ok last night but I think Otsemobor is a better right back.

As for Sedgewick all I can say is, oh dear!!

Guest Buxtonian

Pleased someone's noticed how often Buxton kee[ps getting blamed when he's having to cover a lot or Sedgewick AND Purse. He's oten left with having to cover 2 men, one outside and one inside. He's lost that for a start. Whilst he's not my ideal fullback, and rather prone to dropping clangers, I wonder how much of this is confidence. Give the lad his due. He's put in some good shifts the season.

Unfortunately, it appears that he's become the new Leon Clarke - the one everybody wants to pull down. Get off his back!

Pleased someone's noticed how often Buxton kee[ps getting blamed when he's having to cover a lot or Sedgewick AND Purse. He's oten left with having to cover 2 men, one outside and one inside. He's lost that for a start. Whilst he's not my ideal fullback, and rather prone to dropping clangers, I wonder how much of this is confidence. Give the lad his due. He's put in some good shifts the season.

Unfortunately, it appears that he's become the new Leon Clarke - the one everybody wants to pull down. Get off his back!

Sorry Lewis

Whilst ever other players are fit, these 3 should get no where near the starting 11. Diabolical again

Absolutely spot on.

isnt sedgewick on loan??

send him back and get something else!

why on earth we kept buxton and let simek go is beyond me.

Potter is poo . dont think ive seen him put in a tackle.

Buxton has been one of our best players this season. He's been a bit dodgy as of late though.

I've talked about Potter and his lack of contribution a lot, but I thought he was decent last night. Sedgwick has been absolutely awful recently which I'm gutted about because I like the guy. Knew both Potter and Sedg would miss their pens just from how they were walking up. Never in a million years thought Heff would miss though

Guest pac-man

Buxton has been one of our best players this season. He's been a bit dodgy as of late though.

I've talked about Potter and his lack of contribution a lot, but I thought he was decent last night. Sedgwick has been absolutely awful recently which I'm gutted about because I like the guy.

Totally agree!

Guest Sheff Owl

Buxton - I wish Irvine never changed it last night, IMO he should have kept Semi in, last couple of games Semi has looked decent and needs a run of games and hopefully will get some consistency no good playing one game then dropped and so on. It's not like Semi needed a rest is it?

Potter - Not a fan and won't deny that, would rather have Miller play everytime instead.

Sedgwick - Was not really impressed when we signed him but hey gotta give him a chance and so far not impressed me one bit.

Guest pac-man

Sedgwick - Was not really impressed when we signed him but hey gotta give him a chance and so far not impressed me one bit.

Has he not had him chance. Really not good enough can see why Preston were happy to get shut!

Thoughts on last Nights game players wise -

Weaver - Beat far too easily for 1st goal, Made up for it though with couple of good 1-1 saves.

Buxton - Seems to drift inside all the time following the man and we get caught on over lap. Goal poor header but not his fault if Purse didnt shout.

Jones - Better than Spurr going forward but seem poor at closing down winger always lets them get cross in.

Purse - Seems to have gone backwards from 2nd half of last season needs to organize the defence more and encourage more. at Blame for Goal if didnt shout.

Beevers - In my opinion still our best defender but time seems to have stood still made some good blocks last night but also some bad decisions.

Sedgewick - Seems to have lost the ability to beat a man as struggled last night. Plus point is you always get 100%. Better options in Teale/Johnson/Tudgay though.

Teale - Drifted inside well and always trys to beat his marker which is good as gets them running towards there own goal would like to see him given a run on right wing.

Potter - Boo boy understandable last season as he was poor but this season and again last night seems to use ball well, Makes tackles & tracks back. What more do you want from a league 1 midfielder?

Coke - MOM worked had and used ball fairly well also looks a goal threat when ever he makes those forward runs.

Morrison - Needs service, Held ball up well for goal & Mellor efort from edge of box but like Heffernan he's a goal poacher so we need to create for him and he will put ball in the net.

Mellor - Poor not enough passion or awarness to make runs. Dissapointed as for a big lad he doesnt put himself about like he should as he could be our David Hirst at this level.

Guest Sheff Owl

Has he not had him chance. Really not good enough can see why Preston were happy to get shut!

What i was saying was when we signed Sedgwick i was not impressed but no point slagging him off before he kicked a ball give him a chance and now he has had that chance etc and he has not done anything to change my opinion - think it's a poor signing if i'm being totally honest.

A cup game that was there to be won which we ended up doing even if we did'nt deserve too a cup competion that is there to be won the result was the only positive the performance was dire and that does'nt bode well for the future Chester field followed bury in giving us a football lesson we have been left with an aged side that lacks pace,movement,desire,skill or ideas,sure we should be over the fu##ing moon the club is only heading in one direction.

Bit strong that fella -to be fair but only the linesmans flag saved us on a couple of occasions.

someone mentioned it earlier, and i agree - Purse' lack of pace is exposing us. You can see Buxton and Beevers are dropping deeper and going for challenges because a) they know purse will get done for pace and b) Purse just doesnt talk. Frustrates the hell out of me a man with that much experience is incapable of organising our back four.

Think Potter/Coke/Miller/JOC are a reasonable set of centre midfield options, but pointless having them on the pitch if our centre backs are going to hoof it forward every time.

Sedgewick and Teale, and in fairness Tudgay, lack pace - we sorely miss JJ and really need someone quick who can run at people. Sadly, i dont think we will get the best out of this side til JJ returns, even with his wayward shooting he will terrify defenders at this level.

Four strikers can all score goals, but need time to gel and more importantly, the ball to feet..

Thing for me last night was that:

Sedgwick doesn't cover Buxton as much as he should. Consequently Buxton is being made to look like utter tripe. I still don't understand why Irvine persists with playing him.

Buxton did okay last night but made some schoolboy errors (chez 2nd goal). He also drifts to far inside leaving massive gaps ont wing.

Seems to me that there is a blatant lack of communication at the back, e.g. Purse's near OG int 1st half, Beevers getting done everytime for not booting the ball into row z. I thought Jones did okay as an attacking left back (!) But not enough cover and even when he was in position he was getting done way to easily.$

For me Potter did okay in midfield, chasing balls n making tackes, the occasional good ball through to Morrison or Mellor but I think he cannot play with Coke- there is a conflict of interest here cos Coke is also a 'playmaker'. On the downside neither player is prepared to play defensive midfielder leading to way too space for shots outside the 18 yrd box

Guest pac-man

Thing for me last night was that:

Sedgwick doesn't cover Buxton as much as he should. Consequently Buxton is being made to look like utter tripe. I still don't understand why Irvine persists with playing him.

Buxton did okay last night but made some schoolboy errors (chez 2nd goal). He also drifts to far inside leaving massive gaps ont wing.

Seems to me that there is a blatant lack of communication at the back, e.g. Purse's near OG int 1st half, Beevers getting done everytime for not booting the ball into row z. I thought Jones did okay as an attacking left back (!) But not enough cover and even when he was in position he was getting done way to easily.$

For me Potter did okay in midfield, chasing balls n making tackes, the occasional good ball through to Morrison or Mellor but I think he cannot play with Coke- there is a conflict of interest here cos Coke is also a 'playmaker'. On the downside neither player is prepared to play defensive midfielder leading to way too space for shots outside the 18 yrd box

Totally agree. Buxton and potter are not the worst players a lot of the people on here are making out.

Guest pac-man

I'm pretty sure it was Sedgwick not tracking back that led to their second goal too, ball came out, their left winger had all the room in the world to come forward and attack. Where was Sedg? Still picking himself up in their box. :angry:

Agreed the guy is awful!

Guest jakethelad

Ok, he's one of the boo boys for some of you, but Buxton wasn't even that bad tonight, mistake for the second but we're a League 1 side now, we can't get perfect players. He was good enough on the whole.

Have you been smoking crack?? Seriously buxton good enough? He gives me the same fear when he has the ball that i used to get when Brian Barry Murphy was on the ball. He is a terrible player, can't pass,can't run, can't take throw ins, has no positional awareness and brings nothing to the team i really hope Semi is given a long run because Buxton is dire does anyone know how long his contract has got left?