Who did what?

Guest JonR

Guest tez-owl

All free beer is good, barring John Smiths, If i was a w@nker I apologise.

Oi cocksucker! do not knock the John Smiths. You just stick to your crappy carling or polish crap.

Answer

Dear Justin

Thanks for your question. I must admit that it would be extremely unlikely for a grizzly bear to come into contact with a great white shark. Generally speaking, animals do not tend to have fights with members of other species. If an animal is not a potential prey, there is little reason to waste any time on it. I think that the bear and shark would try to avoid one another, rather than launching into a fight. If the bear could escape onto land, or the shark into deeper water, they would do so.

I have looked up various websites. Several people have discussed the outcome of a fight between a bear and shark and there are supporters on both sides. There is even a cartoon of a brown bear holding a shark aloft.

http://myoldkyhome.blogspot.com/2005/06/bear-vs-shark.html states that if the bear couldn't stand up, it would lose in water. http://www.cordmag.com/002may2004/tenquestionsshins.html also thinks the shark would win, as the bear's claws couldn't get hold of the shark.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t95776.html gives various ideas about the fight. One correspondent states that a shark wouldn't have a big enough mouth to swallow a bear in shallow water.

Some correspondents favour the bear, because of its teeth, jaws and claws. The bear can move its claws and mouth independently from the rest of the body. One suggestion is that if the bear got on top of the shark and held on, it could scoop out its brain, using a massive swipe of a claw; a counter-argument is that this isn't normal bear behaviour. One correspondent thinks a grizzly bear would have enough strength to beat a mako shark in shallow water, with blunt force blows crushing the shark. The bear is also a good enough swimmer to have some chance of beating a shark in shallow water.

Other correspondents favour the shark, which is bigger, heavier, faster and stronger in water than the bear is. It could use its great jaw strength and biting power to sever the bear's limb, leading to the bear dying from blood loss. It also has tough skin, covered with sharp scales. The bear couldn't survive the shark's initial assault.

http://www.yptenc.org.uk/docs/factsheets/animal_facts/great_white_shark.html mentions details of a shark attack. As it opens its mouth to attack, it raises its flexible snout out of the way and the jaws, which are loosely attached to the skull, are pushed out as the mouth opens which puts the teeth into the biting position. There is immense power behind the jaws and the teeth are adapted for shearing or sawing flesh as a shark clamps its jaws on its victim and throws its head from side to side until a mouthful is torn from the body. A modest-sized 4.8 metre (16 foot) great white shark can bite with a pressure of 3 tonnes per square centimetre, and will tear out a chunk of flesh measuring 28 by 33 centimetres. Sharks usually catch weakly and sick animals, so would be unlikely to attack a healthy bear. It may attack in shallow water, rushing in before a victim realises what is going on.

http://www.newenglandsharks.com/N.ENG.%20whites.htm states that white sharks are often found in shallow water and seem to prefer eating marine mammals instead of fish, especially if the prey is found close to shore.

In your scenario, the depth of the water is important, also whether the animals are trapped in the pool or whether they can escape. Generally speaking, the bear would win if a fight took place on land, while the shark would probably win if the fight took place in deep water. A fight in shallow water could go either way, although the bear would try to escape onto land, if possible. It would only be able to swim for a limited period of time and would be in danger of drowning if the shark dragged it under the water. The bear could hit the shark on the nose (if it thought this was a good idea), but otherwise the shark is a tougher animal and, I think, would be more likely to win. There is a strong possibility, though, of a double death, with the bear drowning and the shark suffocating; http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=521266 states that a shark slowly suffocates unless there is a stream of water over the gills.

Looking at all the evidence, I think that the shark is more likely to win if the fight can only take place in water i.e. if the bear cannot drag the shark onto land. I think that, if land were available, the bear wouldn't enter the water in the first place, or would try to escape from the water as soon as possible. A great white shark is a totally different issue compared to a salmon. While the bear could use its claws to punch the shark's nose or gouge out flesh, the shark's teeth are more powerful and, if either animal lost any of their teeth, the shark has lots of spare sets, while if an adult bear loses its teeth, these are lost for ever. The strength, biting power and speed of the shark in water would probably give it an advantage against the bear in most situations. While the bear could win, and does have many supporters in this prospective fight, I think that the shark is more likely to be the victor.

I only hope that this fight is only done on a virtual level and isn't staged for the amusement of bloodthirsty people.

I hope this helps you and your colleagues.

All the best.

Jonathan

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Do you think he answered the question?

I'd still like to hear the clubs thoughts on the matter.

Their is distinct lack of decisiveness when it comes to this issue.

I think in the end he came down on the side of the shark, although granted he gave the caveat that were land available, a sensible bear would get the f*ck out.

I, however, think a clever and sufficiently strong bear would simply hold the shark still so it suffocated. Admittedly, it isn't quite as aggressive as we're after, but effective nonetheless.

I think in the end he came down on the side of the shark, although granted he gave the caveat that were land available, a sensible bear would get the f*ck out.

I, however, think a clever and sufficiently strong bear would simply hold the shark still so it suffocated. Admittedly, it isn't quite as aggressive as we're after, but effective nonetheless.

Depends on the bear I guess.

A polar bear would fare pretty well in the water.

ahh but could the bear,bear the weight of the shark out of the water

or would the bear get a bare arse from the bite of the shark in the water,

what a dilema as we need all the bare facts really ,

would'nt you say.

would'nt you say.

barely

would'nt you say.

barely

Answer

Dear Justin

Thanks for your question. I must admit that it would be extremely unlikely for a grizzly bear to come into contact with a great white shark. Generally speaking, animals do not tend to have fights with members of other species. If an animal is not a potential prey, there is little reason to waste any time on it. I think that the bear and shark would try to avoid one another, rather than launching into a fight. If the bear could escape onto land, or the shark into deeper water, they would do so.

I have looked up various websites. Several people have discussed the outcome of a fight between a bear and shark and there are supporters on both sides. There is even a cartoon of a brown bear holding a shark aloft.

http://myoldkyhome.blogspot.com/2005/06/bear-vs-shark.html states that if the bear couldn't stand up, it would lose in water. http://www.cordmag.com/002may2004/tenquestionsshins.html also thinks the shark would win, as the bear's claws couldn't get hold of the shark.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t95776.html gives various ideas about the fight. One correspondent states that a shark wouldn't have a big enough mouth to swallow a bear in shallow water.

Some correspondents favour the bear, because of its teeth, jaws and claws. The bear can move its claws and mouth independently from the rest of the body. One suggestion is that if the bear got on top of the shark and held on, it could scoop out its brain, using a massive swipe of a claw; a counter-argument is that this isn't normal bear behaviour. One correspondent thinks a grizzly bear would have enough strength to beat a mako shark in shallow water, with blunt force blows crushing the shark. The bear is also a good enough swimmer to have some chance of beating a shark in shallow water.

Other correspondents favour the shark, which is bigger, heavier, faster and stronger in water than the bear is. It could use its great jaw strength and biting power to sever the bear's limb, leading to the bear dying from blood loss. It also has tough skin, covered with sharp scales. The bear couldn't survive the shark's initial assault.

http://www.yptenc.org.uk/docs/factsheets/animal_facts/great_white_shark.html mentions details of a shark attack. As it opens its mouth to attack, it raises its flexible snout out of the way and the jaws, which are loosely attached to the skull, are pushed out as the mouth opens which puts the teeth into the biting position. There is immense power behind the jaws and the teeth are adapted for shearing or sawing flesh as a shark clamps its jaws on its victim and throws its head from side to side until a mouthful is torn from the body. A modest-sized 4.8 metre (16 foot) great white shark can bite with a pressure of 3 tonnes per square centimetre, and will tear out a chunk of flesh measuring 28 by 33 centimetres. Sharks usually catch weakly and sick animals, so would be unlikely to attack a healthy bear. It may attack in shallow water, rushing in before a victim realises what is going on.

http://www.newenglandsharks.com/N.ENG.%20whites.htm states that white sharks are often found in shallow water and seem to prefer eating marine mammals instead of fish, especially if the prey is found close to shore.

In your scenario, the depth of the water is important, also whether the animals are trapped in the pool or whether they can escape. Generally speaking, the bear would win if a fight took place on land, while the shark would probably win if the fight took place in deep water. A fight in shallow water could go either way, although the bear would try to escape onto land, if possible. It would only be able to swim for a limited period of time and would be in danger of drowning if the shark dragged it under the water. The bear could hit the shark on the nose (if it thought this was a good idea), but otherwise the shark is a tougher animal and, I think, would be more likely to win. There is a strong possibility, though, of a double death, with the bear drowning and the shark suffocating; http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=521266 states that a shark slowly suffocates unless there is a stream of water over the gills.

Looking at all the evidence, I think that the shark is more likely to win if the fight can only take place in water i.e. if the bear cannot drag the shark onto land. I think that, if land were available, the bear wouldn't enter the water in the first place, or would try to escape from the water as soon as possible. A great white shark is a totally different issue compared to a salmon. While the bear could use its claws to punch the shark's nose or gouge out flesh, the shark's teeth are more powerful and, if either animal lost any of their teeth, the shark has lots of spare sets, while if an adult bear loses its teeth, these are lost for ever. The strength, biting power and speed of the shark in water would probably give it an advantage against the bear in most situations. While the bear could win, and does have many supporters in this prospective fight, I think that the shark is more likely to be the victor.

I only hope that this fight is only done on a virtual level and isn't staged for the amusement of bloodthirsty people.

I hope this helps you and your colleagues.

All the best.

Jonathan

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dont you think you might be taking the Shark v Bear fight a teensy bit far? :biggrin: