Owls U18s 2 Chester 1 GOALS

The Chester lad who did that throw in... he could be absolutely dogger at everything else, but that trait alone is going to get him at least a career as a mainstay in the top echelons of non-league football. Terrifying even at that age!

Nice goals from us, especially that first one... Hirsty no?

4 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

The Chester lad who did that throw in... he could be absolutely dogger at everything else, but that trait alone is going to get him at least a career as a mainstay in the top echelons of non-league football. Terrifying even at that age!

First goal was Liam waldock

22 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Hirst is too old now for U18's from this season coming so will be playing just U23s unless he goes on loan.

1 minute ago, Etchesketch said:

Hirst is too old now for U18's from this season coming so will be playing just U23s unless he goes on loan.

18 year olds play for the U18's, and he's 18 until February

I'm also pretty sure it's done by what would be academic year, so he's eligible until the end of this season isn't he? 

4 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I'm also pretty sure it's done by what would be academic year, so he's eligible until the end of this season isn't he? 

Thats the way I understood it

18 year old 

Just now, marcx666 said:

Thats the way I understood it

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

No they are not eligible after the end of their 2nd year scholarship which ended at the end of last season.  You can play an U19 overage goalkeeper though.  The profiles on the website show the U18's.  Hirst is now profiled on the U23s with the others of his year who are also ineligible:Fraser Preston, Liam Williams, Connor Kirby, Dan Wallis and Jack Lee.  Eligible players will be born after 01/09/1999 this coming season.  Hirst was born 15/02/1999.  It's the same cut off points that schools have always used for a year ie using September to the following August for pupils birthdates in a particular school year.

Just now, Etchesketch said:

18 year old 

No they are not eligible after the end of their 2nd year scholarship which ended at the end of last season.  You can play an U19 overage goalkeeper though.  The profiles on the website show the U18's.  Hirst is now profiled on the U23s with the others of his year who are also ineligible:Fraser Preston, Liam Williams, Connor Kirby, Dan Wallis and Jack Lee.  Eligible players will be born after 01/09/1999 this coming season.  Hirst was born 15/02/1999.  It's the same cut off points that schools have always used for a year ie using September to the following August for pupils birthdates in a particular school year.

Ah so it's done via school year, so 18 year olds can play in U18's in the academic year they turn 18, rather than it being if they're 18 at any point in that academic year they're eligible for the U18's until the end of that season. My mistake, I thought it was the latter!  

Spot on.  The new first year scholars are those that have just left school so they will turn 17 between 01/09/2017 and 31/08/2017.  The second years will turn 18 between 01/09/2017 and 31/08/2017.  George is now in his first proper year as a pro(he signed a year early because he was doing so well) and the likes of him, Kirby, Preston turn 19 between these dates.  The England U21 rules are the best.  You can be 23 like Jordan Pickford and still be eligible for them as he was U21 when the qualifying games started!

1 minute ago, Etchesketch said:

Spot on.  The new first year scholars are those that have just left school so they will turn 17 between 01/09/2017 and 31/08/2017.  The second years will turn 18 between 01/09/2017 and 31/08/2017.  George is now in his first proper year as a pro(he signed a year early because he was doing so well) and the likes of him, Kirby, Preston turn 19 between these dates.  The England U21 rules are the best.  You can be 23 like Jordan Pickford and still be eligible for them as he was U21 when the qualifying games started!

Sorry those second dates show say 2018 not 2017-31/08/2018

2 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

Yeah I was under the impression that the U18 rules were similar,  SO Hirst could play this year because he was eligible when the competition had started, just like for national competition. God I hate learning things I don't like lol

The rules are a bit different for England Under age football for some reason.  Instead of September to the following August for years they use January to December!!!.So the England U18s that Hirst has played for are players born between 01/01/1999 and 31/12/1999.  In effect that is players from two academic years so those born before September are a year 'older' in effect.

2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Don't worry, I got you completely- I literally just got my years at school mixed up! Even more embarrassing considering it was all super recent for me... 

Not so for me!!!!  All this year 9,10,11 rubbish!!!!!  In my time in Senior school it was 1st year when you started and 5th year when you left!

3 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

Not so for me!!!!  All this year 9,10,11 rubbish!!!!!  In my time in Senior school it was 1st year when you started and 5th year when you left!

Exactly this, ahhh but it was a much more simpler time, where you learned mostly useful stuff at school "apart from algebra), now half the crap kids learn is of no use to anyone

1 hour ago, Etchesketch said:

Well I started senior school in the third form and left after the upper fifths, so figure that out!

(lacked the motivation to stay on into the sixth form ...apparently)

So anyway, who's that No.17 weaving his way through to score the second goal

... and who scored those three 1st half goals at Scunthorpe last Friday?

Some of us (me, for instance) need to know