What did the Sky pundits say after the match?

I recorded it but couldn't bring myself to watch it when I got back last night. I thought we looked like we had the beating of them at times but then reverted to the drab conservative play that has blighted our season. We finished fourth so I suppose we've made progress from last season but actually going to games and watching how we've played it hasn't seemed like that.  

It felt like the chickens came home to roost last night and we got what our performances over the season deserved - and yet a couple of better penalty kicks or a couple more Westwood saves and we'd be getting ready for Wembley so it's clearly fine margins. 

Guest RedDragonOwl

Huddersfield shaded it, wagner had a gameplan and carlos didn't, a team of individuals rather than a cohesive team, unbalanced, no pattern of play, and no strings to our bow.

Just now, RedDragonOwl said:

Huddersfield shaded it, wagner had a gameplan and carlos didn't, a team of individuals rather than a cohesive team, unbalanced, no pattern of play, and no strings to our bow.

Sounds about right and a very good summary. 

Who were the pundits?

40 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I recorded it but couldn't bring myself to watch it when I got back last night. I thought we looked like we had the beating of them at times but then reverted to the drab conservative play that has blighted our season. We finished fourth so I suppose we've made progress from last season but actually going to games and watching how we've played it hasn't seemed like that.  

It felt like the chickens came home to roost last night and we got what our performances over the season deserved - and yet a couple of better penalty kicks or a couple more Westwood saves and we'd be getting ready for Wembley so it's clearly fine margins. 

I thought they were spot on for a change, regarding our approach to this season, both in recruitment and tactics

Guest RedDragonOwl

Andy Hinchcliffe, and the main presenter was scott something, there was one other guy but can't remember what he was called.

Talking to the Huddersfield fan and United fans at work Hinchliffe said that on paper Wednesday have a far superior squad of players than Huddersfield however in reality Huddersfield have a team of players that know how to play together while we have a team of individuals that dont. I think that is a fair assessment.

None of them could understand our cautious approach over the two games. They also questioned the January signings, and said, overall we just seem to gather players but with little idea of how to blend them into a side. I thought they made reasonable observations

I thought Keith Andrews was an ars*hole earlier in the season with some of the things he said about Forestieri

But last night he was absolutely spot on. 

We had the best squad, signed the best individuals but Hudders had a better team. That play like a team.Could see their game plan but ours was a mystery, no idea where we were trying to hurt Hudders.  

5 minutes ago, OwlofOliveGrove said:

I am a certified nutcase.

Seriously though it was a dig at the opinions of the Sky pundits, not a fellow Owl's thread choice :ph34r:

I thought Andrews made sense when he talked about Wednesday earlier this season. 

We do probably have a better squad of individuals than Huddersfield, but I got a bit bored of them talking about them having the same budget as Rotherham as if Wagner was dragging some team of rejects to Wembley. They played the loan market brilliantly to get some of the best players in the division. And IIRC nicked one of them from Rotherham in Brown?

6 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

I thought Keith Andrews was an ars*hole earlier in the season with some of the things he said about Forestieri

But last night he was absolutely spot on. 

We had the best squad, signed the best individuals but Hudders had a better team. That play like a team.Could see their game plan but ours was a mystery, no idea where we were trying to hurt Hudders.  

What did he say?

If it was something along the lines of "Forestieri has bags of talent and he is more than capable of tearing Udders a new one...but not if he doesn't stay on his b*stard feet and get on with it"?...if it was then he was indeed spot on.

16 minutes ago, southportdc said:

We do probably have a better squad of individuals than Huddersfield, but I got a bit bored of them talking about them having the same budget as Rotherham as if Wagner was dragging some team of rejects to Wembley. They played the loan market brilliantly to get some of the best players in the division. And IIRC nicked one of them from Rotherham in Brown?

They had a point though about Rotherham and budgets.  

Akin to Leicester last year.

Individuals don't win games, teams do, and Wagner has played a blinder this season.  Be interesting to see if he can keep it up

13 minutes ago, Silkstone Owl said:

They had a point though about Rotherham and budgets.  

Akin to Leicester last year.

Individuals don't win games, teams do, and Wagner has played a blinder this season.  Be interesting to see if he can keep it up

They probably had a point on transfer outlay.

Factoring in wages, not so sure (not certain what they were paying in terms of % to Brown and Mooy).

The fact is, if they do lose to Reading, they need to rebuild a team again next year if Brown and Mooy get sent somewhere else. Could easily fall away entirely.

5 minutes ago, southportdc said:

They probably had a point on transfer outlay.

Factoring in wages, not so sure (not certain what they were paying in terms of % to Brown and Mooy).

The fact is, if they do lose to Reading, they need to rebuild a team again next year if Brown and Mooy get sent somewhere else. Could easily fall away entirely.

As well as looking for a new head coach