Is now a good time to Try out a 3-5-2 Formation?

Prefer this 5-2-3

-------------------------------Westwood-----------------------------

-------------Deilna----------Loovens--------------Lees-----------

Palmer---------------------------------------------------------Helan

------------------------Lee-------------Semedo---------------------

-------------Maguire-----------Nuihu--------------May--------------

Would be a bold move considering how the back 4 and westwood have been playing this season. Would always say it's worth giving it a go, providing the players picked could revert to a 4-4-2 if required. ie one of the centre halves needs to be able to slot in at full back and one of the centre mids needs to be able to push out onto the wing.

Westwood

Lees   Loovens   Dielna

Palmer   Lee   Semedo   Maguire   Drenthe

Nuhiu   May

Think that above could revert to

Westwood

Palmer   Lees   Lovens   Dielna

Maguire   Lee   Semedo   Drenthe

Nuhiu   May

We have nothing to lose as we don't have the form. What we're doing now isn't working so we have to try something.

This looks fairly decent to me, with Deilna being the only questionable element due to his lack of game time and experience in the league.

Westwood                             
             Lees           Loovens             Deilna            
Palmer                    Semedo                           Helan
               Maguire                       Maghoma                       
                           Nuhiu
                                         May              

This formation basically asked a lot of our wingbacks, as they're essentially playing two positions.
Tho Maguire and Maghoma can both play centrally as well as perform out wide so can drift out wide for support depending on play, but then would still look for overlaps.

I'd love to see May being left up top without having to drop deep and instead have Nuhiu pick do his hold up role deeper and look to play a killer pass as I reckon he has that in him. If this doesn't work I'd switch Nuhiu for Maguire, and have Drenthe in that central right mid position (which could work better thinking about it, with Nuhiu coming off the bench he could offer us the hold up skill to help see out the game as a lone front man, with May dropping deepeter.... but Drenthe still isn't fit enough for this yet... so maybe Kieran Lee?)

When defending this should quite easily switch to 532 with Semedo dropping in at center back.
He shouldn't go foward anyway, he just doesn't have it in him, so when the wingbacks are bombing forward, he should be doing his covering job alloweing Lees and Deilna to cover the full back positions a little more.

Lees can play at right back, and has done for Leeds, Deilna also apparently has some experience at left back according to SG, so on paper they are ideal for those slots.

Unless this new striker rocks up some time soon, I feel we've got to try something a little more drastic like this, maybe even at a home.

The simpleness of these players is that there's a direct split in whose attack and whose defence.

DEFENCE:
Westwood                             
Lees, Loovens, Deilna, Semedo, Palmer, Helan

ATTACK
Maguire, Maghoma, Nuhiu, May       

It should hopefully mean that attacking players don't have to track back too far to pitch in with the grunt work, and can concentrate on creativity

Edited by POWP

I think 3-5-2 would suit us down to the ground. 4-4-2 died a death after 1966, terrible formation in modern football - boring and predictable.

How on earth did Leicester and Burnley get promoted last season?

I'm not sure we have good enough midfielders and forwards to retain possession if we have 5 defenders. Even if it is technically written down as 5 midfielders, we'd have 3 centre backs instead of 2. So we'd have no more presence in the middle of the park, see less of the ball, and just have to hope that Nuhiu is fast enough to take advantage of any breaks we might get :wacko:

One issue that we have is that we only have one decent centre forward at the club (unless we play Maguire there, in which case we have two). And most of that is about work rate and comedy value as opposed to out-n-out quality.

The most entertaining player we have is Drenthe, but he offers nothing when we don't have possession. So he's a luxury that we probably can't afford. I'd still rather see him on the pitch given the lack of attacking spark without him there. He just needs to have no defensive responsibilities. Perhaps he could be a decent man to play off Big Dave? He shoots on sight anyway, so we might as well put him as far up the pitch as possible!

The other issue is that the game simply passes Semedo by at this level. So he isn't the man to step in when Hutchinson is out (sadly most of the time). Palmer is a much more capable footballer, works well with Lee, and would provide a bit of cover if asked to sit in.

- - - - -- - - - -Westwood

Buxton -  Lees - Loovens - Helan

- - - - - - - - -  Palmer

- Maguire - - - - Lee - - - Maghoma

- - - - - - Drenthe

- - - - - - - - - - - - - Nuhiu

Unfortunately I think the excitement of our early (false) league position is now completely worn off, and the reality of the situation is now setting in - we're in for a tough season (again)!!!

Edited by George Whitebread