Homophobia in football

Guest Assless Chaps

Homophobes will always be homophobes because they have a basic lack of intelligence, no point getting worked up by them. Lets hope its a generational thing and they all die off, or social darwinism kicks in and they walk into oncoming traffic. An openly gay footballer would be a magnificent thing...

abusing opposition players is not a race thing,when we played orient there wer loads of us at the bottom of the north giving alex revell some grief,if he wer black and a bender wud that av made it racial or homophobic?

...what would you shout, that was abusive, if the opposition player was black? or gay? or both?

..seriously?....* quick edit..*

Yes it does and if you are caught you will be skinned alive and dipped slowly into a barrel of vinegar and salt solution...

Edited by Freshfish

If a footballer did come out as 'gay' would you start or join in homophobic chants? If one of our better players turned out to be gay would your attitude towards them change? I think it's disgraceful that no footballer in the entire top 4 divisions has come out, just because of fear from the fans, why should it matter? It doesn't change there footballing ability or their personality so why should chants be made? It's exactly the same as racism in football which is now considered a disgrace to football so why not this? People may say that it's best for their careers if they keep it to themselves but that's not solving the problem, just hiding it so no one has to worry or care about it, this is stupid and homophobic.

Thoughts? People are entitled to there own opinions etc...

And this came from???

Guest jeffrey

If a footballer did come out as 'gay' would you start or join in homophobic chants? If one of our better players turned out to be gay would your attitude towards them change? I think it's disgraceful that no footballer in the entire top 4 divisions has come out, just because of fear from the fans, why should it matter? It doesn't change there footballing ability or their personality so why should chants be made? It's exactly the same as racism in football which is now considered a disgrace to football so why not this? People may say that it's best for their careers if they keep it to themselves but that's not solving the problem, just hiding it so no one has to worry or care about it, this is stupid and homophobic.

Thoughts? People are entitled to there own opinions etc...

some people play in the hole some dont lol

There are quite a few posts in this thread that appear to be homophobic and contain no humour at all an pointing that out doesn't make me pious ( and perhaps you should look that up as most religions are against homosexuality) moralising?, I don't think I am that, freak?, Why am i a freak for expressing my opinion? Clearly by some of the negging I am not alone in some of my opinions. And then you accuse me of throwing cheap labels around. That's a good one. Just thrown a few at me.

I don't actually think that OT is full of homophobes but there are obviously a few and it doesn't take a large percentage in the world of football, fans and clubs to put off players coming out.

Why should I go somewhere else to make a serious comment? I was responding to the original post and some of those that followed

You started puffing your chest out quite early in the thread when the responders were obviously taking the wee wee - if you'd taken people to task for disrespecting a serious thread then no problem - but you chose to accuse posters of being homophobes

I know what pious means thanks - what has religion accepting homosexuality got to do with anything? Perhaps best to steer well clear of religion and homosexuality i'd suggest - maybe the clergy don't always practice what they preach...

The reason i suggested you went to the other thread was because you're taking obvious parody responses as a statement position of some of the posters and extrapolating that to Owlstalk

In my opinion you were to quick to jump in with the accusations and did so fully kitted out in snorkel and flippers

Guest Sniper1

Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.

Im not trying to be a tw@ but this is how loads of people still think.

Some people care, most don't.

We had a couple of gayers in our school and they came out.

While we were all playing football they would sit with the girls watching us.

Could this be why we don't have many gay footballers.

I don't walk aound telling people im straight because its got nothing to do with anyone.

So i don't need to know or care if footballers are gay.

I still think gayness should be kept this way because if people like Beckham came out and said he was gay then we would have kids being gay just to be like Becks.

Long term we would stop having children and we would become extinct.

Bad times.

Guest JC Saviour

Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.

Im not trying to be a tw@ but this is how loads of people still think.

Some people care, most don't.

We had a couple of gayers in our school and they came out.

While we were all playing football they would sit with the girls watching us.

Could this be why we don't have many gay footballers.

I don't walk aound telling people im straight because its got nothing to do with anyone.

So i don't need to know or care if footballers are gay.

I still think gayness should be kept this way because if people like Beckham came out and said he was gay then we would have kids being gay just to be like Becks.

Long term we would stop having children and we would become extinct.

Bad times.

Oh I get your point. Therefore the young blades fans will become er em, better not say that word, ok, random tickler. I can see your logic. Lock yer daughters up. FFS

Guest Big Guns

those stats are bullshít in my opinion

I'm guessing the stats were arrived at by taking a cross section of society

so saying one in ten footballers must be gay isnt the same

one in ten monks must be gay then?

etc

I'd guess ten out of ten monks are gay.

Guest wilyfox

etc

are one in ten homosexuals gay, making them straight again? i'm confused, and one of ten siblings; am i gay?

OK,

etc

OK, let's say that since society became more tolerant (we'll say since the beginning of the Premier League, that's when everything began) the 92 league teams have had 5000 players between them (it's probably more, but we'll just be on the safe side) and that your summation that the statistics are wrong is also correct, so we'll call it 0.5%, or 1 in 200 (again, just to be on the safe side).

The fact that not one of them is openly gay is of statistical significance, and that's despite the fact that I've erred on the side of your argument in every single one of my assumptions.