Irish Owls

Guest Skold

Going over to Cork for lads weekend friday 29th of june. Have heard on good authority that door policies are strict over there but organisers of the w/e are planning fancy dress. Can any Irish / Cork Owls confirm or deny that we may be making more trouble for ourselves by getting dressed up ?

Any local knowledge / input will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Guest Kintana

you should get into most places provided you dont:

1) Wear Trainers

2) All act like drunken louts while being IDed by the bouncers (and they usually do ID you)

most of the clubs are just off washington street, these include Havana Browns, The Classic Bar. These are typical mainstream clubs not alternative clubs. i am not much of a clubber to tell you the truth.

A good street for Pubs is Oliver Plunkett Street - either on this street or just off it you will find the Old Oak, the crane lane (just off that street), the bodhran.

You can ask anyone for the names of these pubs and they will show you. There is also the Mutton Lane which is quite good and is situated near burger king down a little ally just off patrick street (the main street).

All evenings should be fninshed off with a chicken breast in a bun from Hillbillys, a chipper next to the peace park.just follow the crowd or again ask people, they are pretty friendly down there.

have a great weekend!

try and get to a pub on the sunday to watch some gaa. there is a good chance Cork maybe playing. if you can find a hard core pub then all the better.

cheers for that mate

you say no trainers, but what about fancy dress ?

I'm not as into dressing up as some of the lads going so have got fingers crossed someone in the know, like your goodself, would strongly advise against it .......

Guest Kintana

the reason i would advise against it is that if the bouncer doesnt want to let you in the first thing he may do is look at your dress sense. dont give him the opportunity to turn you down because of trainers.

with regard to fancy dress, i would say you would be grand in most places. if you get turned away, just try the next place :-).

With these things you just never know - if you want to be guaranteed to get in somewhere, maybe drop the fancy dress if unnecessary!! you dont one crowd in one place and another crows somewhere else

i know its an old trick, but try going in small groups 5-10 minutes apart, dont all go up together!!

to be honest its not that bad in the city, certain places can be strict but overall , but i fully expect you to get in somewhere and have a great night and a great breast in a bun at the end of it all.

EDIT:

what hotel are you staying in?

if you get turned away, you can always go abck and get changed if you are in the city centre.

Edited by Kintana

Guest Kintana

hey that is pretty central - i can recommend you dont do fancy dress if you want ??? and we can edit all these posts and no one will ever know.....

ha ha

nobody else will know anyway, there's only me that comes on here

have already tried the contrived mail + response with a mate who went last year and had a torrid time getting into places, fwd'd this to fancy dress ringleader who heeded the advice to a point and then rang a bar in Cork to guage a response

Gallaghers of Cork, they said 'yeah fine, brilliant, give us your names and what time you'll be coming in' etc

Pirates on Friday, Officer and a Gentleman on saturday, these boys just love dressing up !

Guest Kintana

ha ha ha sounds class! but i am like you not something i would particularly like to do myself.

gallaghers by the way would not be near the other pubs and clubs - not the most happening of pubs.it has an irish feel to it but is too far away from the 'action'

Todays the day

Flying out of liverpool at 14:20 this aft so will be leaving work in the next hour or so (office is a stones throw from the airport)

Pirates are on hold until tomorrow, so we can get a feel for it tonight, and Officer and a Gentleman has bitten the dust (phew)

So I'm all packed with my best Jack Sparrow clobber, can't wait ............

Guest Blurred Life

Larne?

Away on with ye then!

However you are the 2nd Larne Owl to join this site- there is vodka muncher but ain't seen him about for a while

So why the Owls?

Hey Mate,

Hehe... Vodkamuncher was me :D I forgot my password when I had to re-program my computer so I had to come up with a new username.

Hows you?? Going to the derby??

Guest cbroaduk8

Yo peeps.

Been working over in Ireland for bout 6 months now,, are there any owls gonna be watching the plymouth game in Dublin. Preferably Portmarnock or Malahide area but city centre would be great!

Up them blue and white wizards