Reading sell their training ground to…

11 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

A view from a Wycombe fan on X

GIoESqJW8AAiwaW.jpeg.7aa2f4bc48dea747ea63ccced638b004.jpeg

Great post.

I'd be disgusted if Wednesday did this with any of our local clubs. We might be local rivals, but generations of fans support every country up and down the land, and I wouldn't want Wednesday being part of the process which could kill off another football club.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Great post.

I'd be disgusted if Wednesday did this with any of our local clubs. We might be local rivals, but generations of fans support every country up and down the land, and I wouldn't want Wednesday being part of the process which could kill off another football club.

Some reports suggest without this money Reading would not have been able to complete the season.

16 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Some reports suggest without this money Reading would not have been able to complete the season.

Reading will survive somehow. Starving the owner of cash is the fastest way to get him out. 

Losing one of your best assets isnt going to do any good in attracting a new owner. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chairboy Dan said:

It's a weird one. Wycombe Wanderers absolutely do not have £20m for a training ground. The owners do not have £20m for a training ground. Georgian billionaire Mikhail Lomtadze, who currently has no official connection to Wycombe but is being courted for a takeover by the current owners, probably does have £20m for a training ground. I can only assume the funding has come from him. 

We have about 30 players on our books, and no academy or youth set up. We have some issues with our current training facilities (which we do not own), but Bearwood is a lot more training ground than we need. What are the options?

Rent it back to Reading, and share? But there's been no mention of this, and I don't know how practical sharing a training ground is.

Sell bits we don't need for other purposes? Seems tricky, not sure we'd get planning permission for use other than as a sports training ground.

Become a club that needs 120 acres of training ground and a category 1 academy? Well it's a nice idea, but we're currently a long way off it.

I feel for Reading FC and its fans. But its a good deal for Wycombe, I think most clubs would take it in the same situation.

Fair and balanced post. And I can see why it is very attractive to Wycombe because its a great site and I imagine not many of those around these days and near the town. 

But IMO no one should be giving this lunatic any more money. 

I can't see that Wycombe are either serious or if they've thought it through tbh

Yes, it might be cut price but it'll still be many millions

It's a large, pristine site and the upkeep alone will run into huge sums yearly

They'll only use a small part of it even if they move their entire back office operations there

In a perverse twist they may be able to rent part of it back to reading if they're still going. 

Maybe sell parts of it if doable?

But if that were the case then surely reading aid be exploring that now?

It's only recently that reading built that whole facility - their previous TG was due to have houses built on it - dunno if that's happened

The whole thing is very shifty

• Like 1

I think similar to Torquay in the National league,  you can't help think that the only way for clubs to get through this is to let them die and start a phoenix club; it's the only way to get bad owners out.

It's a scorched earth scenario, but Bury and Mansfield are back on their feet, and it wasn't a million years ago Brighton were at the Withdean fighting for their lives and fully prepared to close down. 

I'm pretty sure this will happen to Reading anyhow. 

• Like 1

On 15/03/2024 at 10:41, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Great post.

Unless it was !!!.