Big Sam at Leeds

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Thing is, Big Sam did get his opportunity based off the work he did at Bolton. 

At the time, Newcastle was a big job (it's an even bigger job now after the takeover, but you get the point) and Sam bombed there, the fans hated him etc. 

He then went onto do good work at Blackburn, West Ham, Sunderland, Palace etc., before a so-so spell at Everton and then relegation with West Brom. 

At his best, he was a top half/mid-table PL manager which is nothing to be sniffed at. He did some great work, particularly at Bolton. 

He didn't get a good chance at Newcastle, they're notoriously difficult fans, he did good work at all those teams and no club side would take a chance because the media and the image these clubs try to portray doesn't work with big Sam. If he was Spanish and had a 6 pack, and fantastic fashion sense he would've lol 

Just now, SiJ said:

No denying there are some mitigating circumstances as to why Potter flopped at Chelsea, but I don't think he helped himself. 

Just gave off the vibe of a guy who wasn't suited to managing a big club, with big expectations, but then the rot has been setting in with Chelsea for a long time. People forget how poor they were towards the backend of Tuchel's time. 

that's the narrative you get from the press though. It's just like DM, you don't know if he's nice or nasty when needed, but he gets presented as being 'too nice' - how would any of us know that? we just fill in the picture and make a story, we've got no idea how they actually are.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Might have been his first relegation. Pretty sure he retired after that. 

Sounds like it was very much Leeds who contacted him. 

It's a proper desperate move. 

I’m starting to wonder if Dyche is the same tbh. We all expected him to keep Burnley up and it didn’t happen. Now he’s struggled to pull Everton clear. I know there’s only so much magic he can weave with a poor squad, but it feels like a lot of these “firefighter” managers are running short on ammo. 

8 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

I’m starting to wonder if Dyche is the same tbh. We all expected him to keep Burnley up and it didn’t happen. Now he’s struggled to pull Everton clear. I know there’s only so much magic he can weave with a poor squad, but it feels like a lot of these “firefighter” managers are running short on ammo. 

Again, mitigating circumstances as to why Dyche might be struggling there. 

Everton have been circling the drain for a while now. I mean, Ancelotti went there and finished 10th with that group of players. 

In saying that, Everton is a much, much bigger club than Burnley. 

On 04/05/2023 at 20:46, SiJ said:

Thing is, Big Sam did get his opportunity based off the work he did at Bolton. 

At the time, Newcastle was a big job (it's an even bigger job now after the takeover, but you get the point) and Sam bombed there, the fans hated him etc. 

He then went onto do good work at Blackburn, West Ham, Sunderland, Palace etc., before a so-so spell at Everton and then relegation with West Brom. 

At his best, he was a top half/mid-table PL manager which is nothing to be sniffed at. He did some great work, particularly at Bolton. 

How did he bomb at Newcastle? They got relegated after he left from a mid table position.

The fans didn't like him but there a strange bunch up there as we know.