Support Ukraine.. Change your avatar

Guest hirstysfags

A lot of it is virtue signaling. Like videoing yourself giving food to the homeless. At the end of it though, there's no negative from this. If it keeps it in your mind, then good.

19 minutes ago, hirstysfags said:

A lot of it is virtue signaling. Like videoing yourself giving food to the homeless. At the end of it though, there's no negative from this. If it keeps it in your mind, then good.

It is about bringing as much attention to things as possible. The more people that just accept things in silence the more dictators get away with. I tend to agree about videoing yourself lol.

There are also people that read Owlstalk that don't comment that may be much younger (most are younger than me!)  than us who don't have a real opinion on it. If they see it being a topic of discussion that others care about may well take it on board and be more politically aware not just for Ukraine but for things happening in the future at home as well. I think it is also important that sometimes the really big topics are allowed to appear in Matchday. It's about edumacation innit.

Obviously I'm just virtue signalling although I don't need to as virtue oozes out of me constantly. I'm great me! The video of me typing this post is just going onto FB now!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DoesJackHunt said:

I've watched it, I also saw an section on the news last night about black people trying to flee Ukraine at the boarder and the Ukrainian boarder control segregating black people from Ukrainians and processing their boarder crossings at a ratio of 10 Ukrainians to 1 "foreigner". Maybe information of this type was driving the actions amongst the people in the video you highlighted

It's obviously a desperate situation where everyone is fleeing for their life's. I personally don't think that one person life is worth anymore than anyone else's. Unless it was a child over an adult.

I do believe in queue's because I'm British and it's a thing here...........but in many cultures it's simply not a thing and if you're fleeing for your life, it's probably not a time where you are going to adopt queueing protocol into your cultural dynamic.  

I just hope everyone who wants to gets out of Ukraine safely

they were all roma and im pretty sure none of them came from ukraine they were trying it on to get the papers to come here . i dont care if you agree or anyone else does but ive had dealings with these people and sadly there all the same , ask the people of sheffield what they think of them . i used to know an african man before he moved away who ran a food bank it really upset him that they were claiming 6 food packages when some of them didnt have family , there all for themselves and it was particularly upsetting how they were pushing and or tricking there way in , that poor ukranian woman with kids ended up losing the plot with them . just awful . yet some think just lets open the door wide open .  anyone will agree with me who know what im talking about . in life a quality whats important is decency and looking out for others . 

Guest DoesJackHunt
3 minutes ago, morganowl said:

they were all roma and im pretty sure none of them came from ukraine they were trying it on to get the papers to come here . i dont care if you agree or anyone else does but ive had dealings with these people and sadly there all the same , ask the people of sheffield what they think of them . i used to know an african man before he moved away who ran a food bank it really upset him that they were claiming 6 food packages when some of them didnt have family , there all for themselves and it was particularly upsetting how they were pushing and or tricking there way in , that poor ukranian woman with kids ended up losing the plot with them . just awful . yet some think just lets open the door wide open .  anyone will agree with me who know what im talking about . in life a quality whats important is decency and looking out for others . 

1. You have no idea where the people that were the subject of the Youtube film came from. 

2. You don't know they were trying to get papers to come to the UK. 

3. People are not all the same. I don't know 2 people that are the same and I know some twins. 

4. I'm sorry the African man you knew was upset. 

5. It was (still is) a desperate situation, some people certainly seemed to handle the situation better than others in the Youtube film 

6. I do think we should try to support any human being in need of support in any way that we can, I try and open a door for everyone, i certainly don't go around slamming doors in peoples faces anyway. 

7. Looking out for everyone is indeed important, not just the people you like the look of,

I'm not even sure that you know what your talking about, never mind anyone else. 

Just had a thought about people who don't see the value of showing the Ukraine flag as your avatar. 

I wonder how many of them wear their teams colours in some form. Shirt, scarf, pj's or any other encoutrement with the clubs colours. 

None of it helps the team score goals. You do it because it pleases you showing support for your club. 

That's all we are doing by displaying the Ukraine colours. Showing support. 

That's all. 

Screenshot_20220301_180436.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hirstysfags said:

this is the thing 

Just live and let live 

If people wanna do this GOOD

if you don’t agree with it FINE - just move on

Nobody has to be a cunnnnt about it 

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

My 2 nieces and 1 nephew are 1/2 Ukrainian...    Canada has a large contingent of Ukraine residents...  Here's a photo of the world's largest Pysanka in Vegreville AB  (one of Alberta's largest communities)...  It's a sad time for all my friends and family from Ukraine..     Photo courtesy of https://www.travelalberta.com/ca/listings/vegreville-pysanka-5217/

image.png.661dcc8ec892cb67016c3d1a4bec0408.png