Support Ukraine.. Change your avatar

2 hours ago, WalworthOwl said:

Not relevant to the war, but here's a story about my trip to Ukraine for the 2012 Euros.

DSCF0762.thumb.JPG.451eeaa0c1aec7a3e43052eaa0cdf8da.JPG

We saw games in Kyiv, and in Donetsk in the Russian-speaking East. Donetsk is twinned with Sheffield, they have a Sheffieldsky park by the river, and in the town museum there was a trumpet donated by a visiting Sheffield brass band. “Shakhtar Donetsk” means “Miners Donetsk”.

Close to Donetsk is a town called Gorlovka (in Russian) or Horlivka (in Ukrainian), twinned with Barnsley. We read that back in the Soviet Union days Barnsley Council had donated £30k to help set up a restaurant called Cafe Barnsley in Horlivka, so one morning we took the train from Donetsk to get lunch there.

Google Maps didn't cover the town, so we came out of the station I asked in my best phrasebook Russian “Gdye Cafe Barnsslee?”. Most people scuttled off avoiding this weird foreigner, but a few pointed before scuttling and helped us reach a more central area. There we found a well-dressed woman at a crossing, I asked “Gdye Cafe Barnsslee?”, and she replied in perfect English “It's down that road, then second on the left and on the right in about 200 metres. But it's a terrible place. If you want somewhere good to eat I recommend....”. But we told her that because we came from Yorkshire we were interested to see Cafe Barnsley, so she shrugged at these weird foreigners and we wished each other a good day.

Cafe Barnsley was indeed a terrible place, I think we were the only people there. A surly teenage girl brought the menu - it was no surprise there was no English, but also no Ukrainian, it was all in Russian. The only bit I could read quickly was an omelette, we both ordered one and returned to take the train back to Donetsk for the evening match.

DSCF0750.thumb.JPG.b0cab33e3c1cd99b6e005ad5cacae5d0.JPG

That's a fond holiday memory for me, but the war now is horrifying. I hope desperately for the survival of Ukraine as an independent country.

A nice story.