Our academy

On 16/05/2021 at 23:20, Dot said:

Imagine if we had an academy player sold for less than a million and then bought him back for nearly £20 million 3 years later.

Just had a quick look through the pigs starting line up, not one player in there who came through their academy (not counting the kid that came through a Canadian academy)

Imagine if you had sold that player who wasn't a first team regular which enabled you to assemble a squad that achieved promotion to the Premier League that enabled you to buy that player at a later date. The same player still remains an asset on the books and will probably be sold.

You also forgot that Brooks generated around £11.5 million and Calvert Lewin another £1.5 million.

• Thanks 1

On 17/05/2021 at 12:33, malek said:

I remember our academy from 15 or more years ago and i firmly believe that our academy improved. It is not improving at rate we would want to, but we are definitely moving into right direction.

Don't agree that we are not getting material to develop into our academy side. Yes it could have been better but we got some very talented players to work with and I feel that our U-16's and scouting that brings this players to our academy are not doing bad job. Also, I'm very excited about next years bunch that is supposed to be very talented.

In my opinion biggest problem is that it is not on this club's priority list to develop young players coming through our underage squads. First team, U-23 and academy manager must work closely together and clearly define path to the first team for young players. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but I'm glad to hear that Moore, Bullen and Holdsworth got together to decide which U-18's should get pro deals.  

Agree with this, I actually think since Chansiri has come in the academy has improved a lot, the calibre of player coming through has been better and is still improving. Haslam is doing a great job following on from the job dean whatshisname did before city poached him. 

The problem has been getting them into the first team fold. They make squads they get odd mins but they don’t get regular starts. Hopefully as you have said Moore getting involved in the discussions of contracts all the way down changes this. Galvin and Waldock should be 2 choices for LB and DM next year in the first 11. Others who impress should get there chance, Brennan should be one of the 4 first team CBs. But they need looking after, not like the keeper situation where we really have hung them Out to dry to the point where 2 promising keepers have become not good enough for league one in the mid 20s. Yes some of that was down to there talent and mentality but a lot of it was down to the handling of them by the club and management. 

People slag off George Hirst and rightly so, but if the club had handled him better, not signed Fletcher Rhodes and Winnall and got Hirst involved who’s to say he would not have progressed to a good striker for us ?? We were a good team then after our playoff final defeat, he’s yet to play in one of those at first team level maybe that’s why he’s not lived up to they hype. 

• Like 3

On 16/05/2021 at 23:07, Dot said:

It really does bug me this myth about the amazing pigs academy

they sold maguire for 2 million

they sold both kyles together but no one mentions the other kyle

Jageilka didn't join the pigs till he was 15

If we are going to do comparisons at least get the facts right

What like you.

Ramsdale went for 1 million not 800,000 not much difference agreed but still a difference.

United have paid nearer 13 million not 18 million. It might have got to 18 million with add ons but with them getting relegated will probably not hit that. Although if he got an England cap then maybe it might still, he is after all playing well.

The other Kyle has actually made a decent career out of football playing in the Championship and Premiership.

There is also Lowton at Burnley who also came through their academy.

United sold Maguire for the best they could get at the time when they needed money, they also got an hefty sell on fee which you fail to mention.

Meanwhile our academy products which there aren't many go on free transfers.

So I think its far from a myth that their academy is amazing infact you could virtually name a decent starting eleven from their academy over the last 10 years,  where as from ours you'd struggle to even name a 5 a side team.

• Like 4

Guest Hornsby
1 hour ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Brentford have the luxury of picking up released players from London clubs as well as being in a prime location to also take their players on loan.

More to do with their data analysis.

One of their best players ex Chesterfield.

Best striker outside Epl was 130 miles north of us.

We just had a loan player from their near neighbours , Chelsea.

Most academies lose money. Especially ours.

On 17/05/2021 at 20:32, SiJ said:

When was the last time we actually produced anyone who went on to play at the highest level on a consistent basis? 

Quite a few of our lads go onto have solid careers in League One and Two, but that's about it. 

I suppose that would be Derek Geary lol

On 16/05/2021 at 19:49, S72 Owl said:

Hopefully we’ll see 2 or 3 academy players firmly involved in the first team squad next season. And hopefully a lot more involved in the papa John’s trophy.

I'm fully expecting it with the loss of champ revenue and Im not sure how much of a busted flush Dcs mony pot Is. 

I think we're going to see quite a few signings like bashiru and similar to when jos was here praying some of the youths can step up. 

Young players tend to bring 2 things to the side that we've sorely missed this year energy and exuberance. 

I don't think if blended right with some stubborn old heads with a bit of leadership it's a bad thing, but it would depend on how they adapt to the step up. 

Some of you that are old enough ,We had the Save our Owls ,Share issue the club were in a lot of trouble ,We had no money ,The only option we had was play our youth ,Goalkeepers ,Fox ,Turner , Defenders ,Sterland ,Williamson , Smith and Shirtliff , .The defenders alone wish we had playing for us this coming season .,Grant , Midfield ,Kevin ticker Taylor , Hyde  Strikers Pearson ,Wylde . Just imagine we have no money and the only option you have is play your young players  ,They can do a job if given a chance  ,But i doubt it with some on here ,Perhaps if some fans had watched in the dark days you would be more patient ,Give them a chance ,Get behind them ,I would rather give a young local lad a chance ,Than a crock past it mercenary .