Academy retained list

Club still hasn't spoken to all players regarding retained lists.

Contract negotiations still ongoing.

Our retain list for the senior players should have been announced already.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Etchesketch said:

Looks that way. We now have 4 professional  keepers under contract next season-Dawson, Wildsmith, Render and Jackson. Most clubs in League 1 wont have that many. If we get a new number 1 you would think either Dawson or Wildsmith will leave. Definately won't  have 5 keepers.

Well two of those keepers have been tried, tested and found wanting. Dawson and Wildsmith have made very little improvement in three years so I would get another goalkeeping coach in as well as letting at least one go.

1 hour ago, malek said:

Now Luke Hall got himself trial for Brentford. 

Played for England U16/U15 so in theory one of the best in the country at that age yet two years later not deemed good enough for a pro deal here. Cant remember that happening with us and England players before going back years. Platts, Haslam,Hamshaw,Holmes,Higgins, Faulkner,Burton etc all played for England before 16 and all got at least a pro deal.

16 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

Played for England U16/U15 so in theory one of the best in the country at that age yet two years later not deemed good enough for a pro deal here. Cant remember that happening with us and England players before going back years. Platts, Haslam,Hamshaw,Holmes,Higgins, Faulkner,Burton etc all played for England before 16 and all got at least a pro deal.

Loads of England u15/16 won't play professional football

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Club still hasn't spoken to all players regarding retained lists.

Contract negotiations still ongoing.

Our retain list for the senior players should have been announced already.

The contract negotiations are a 2 way street - the delay will be that an agreement hasn't been reached - ie the player is refusing on the terms offered or they are mulliung over the offer

Also some players will wait and see what other offers may be out there and using the offer on the table as a last resort

It happens all the time

21 minutes ago, scram said:

I know but most of them at least turn pro at 18. They get to that stage usually but then struggle to break in first teams and end up dropping down the pyramid.

21 minutes ago, scram said:

The contract negotiations are a 2 way street - the delay will be that an agreement hasn't been reached - ie the player is refusing on the terms offered or they are mulliung over the offer

Also some players will wait and see what other offers may be out there and using the offer on the table as a last resort

It happens all the time

Fair enough.

God knows who we would be desperate to keep.

Just now, Etchesketch said:

I know but most of them at least turn pro at 18. They get to that stage usually but then struggle to break in first teams and end up dropping down the pyramid.

Yes agreed - i doubt many (any) who play for England at u16 will fail to get a scholarship - they will generally have already been offered one or even a pro deal by that age

But a lot do not kick on

Shows how difficult talent identification is at that age

Plus England seem to fish in a small pool generally

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

I know Hall trained with u-16's, but don't think he ever played a game for England U-16 side. He was highly rated as 14 and 15 years old but probably didn't develop as quickly or as well as he needed. Could be that we plan to sign better prospects for our U-23 squad and with limited budget we had decision to make.

I'm very excited for next bunch of U-16's making step up to U-18's football. Last season we promoted only 4 players and signed further 3 from other clubs, out of all these only Caelen Kilheeney started regularly (and that was in last dozen or so games when we did really well). It will be interesting summer as I expect us to sign at least 10 players to have squad of 17. Right now we don't have keeper or striker on our books so I guess that Jack Hall and Bailey Cadamarteri will get plenty of playing time and I fully expect to see U-16 captain and last U-18 game of the season MOM Rio Shipman make starting spot his own.

Btw. First time I've seen Matt Hamshaw was for England U-17's in a 2:1 win against Sweden and he was best player on the pitch by absolute mile. If he had bit more luck and bit less injuries he would have been Premier League player. At least that is mine admitably somewhat romantic opinion on him.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, scram said:

It happens all the time

Clubs often issue a  retained / released list and specify which players out of contract have been made offers.

They certainly don't wait for all negotiations to be completed. 

30 minutes ago, scram said:

From what I've seen England's player selection for national squad at such a young age level is criminally poor. Absolutely no idea what to look for and what makes a good prospect. Awful !

2 minutes ago, malek said:

I know Hall trained with u-16's, but don't think he ever played a game for England U-16 side. He was highly rated as 14 and 15 years old but probably didn't develop as quickly or as well as he needed. Could be that we plan to sign better prospects for our U-23 squad and with limited budget we had decision to make.

I'm very excited for next bunch of U-16's making step up to U-18's football. Last season we promoted only 4 players and signed further 3 from other clubs, out of all these only Caelen Kilheeney started regularly (and that was in last dozen or so games when we did really well). It will be interesting summer as I expect us to sign at least 10 players to have squad of 17. Right now we don't have keeper or striker on our books so I guess that Jack Hall and Bailey Cadamarteri will get plenty of playing time and I fully expect to see U-16 captain and last U-18 game of the season MOM Rio Shipman make starting spot his own.

Btw. First time I've seen Matt Hamshaw was for England U-17's in a 2:1 win against Sweden and he was best player on the pitch by absolute mile. If he had bit more luck and bit less injuries he would have been Premier League player. At least that is mine admitably somewhat romantic opinion on him.

I've seen pictures of him playing with England kit on and in England team groups but unsure if these were proper internationals or not.  Due to injuries mainly only 4 first years really featured meaning it will be a very different side next season.

• Like 1

Just now, malek said:

From what I've seen England's player selection for national squad at such a young age level is criminally poor. Absolutely no idea what to look for and what makes a good prospect. Awful !

I'll give you a clue

A few years ago one of the England development squad GK coaches was the academy GK coach at Millwall. Development squad roles are usually part time. 

Millwall at the time had 3 keepers at different age groups...

• Thanks 1

Guest Smackavolley
46 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

I thought he attended a few England U15 training camps. Did he actually play for the U15's/U16's in an official match? I'll try and someone who will know the question. I'm know Corey Glaves who is reportedly on trial at Brentford as well, played regularly for Wales at U16 level because I briefly met and spoke to his dad a couple of years ago. Fantastic achievement for any kid BTW but these kids go through big changes physically and mentally at that age.

Just now, Smackavolley said:

I thought he attended a few England U15 training camps. Did he actually play for the U15's/U16's in an official match? I'll try and someone who will know the question. I'm know Corey Glaves who is reportedly on trial at Brentford as well, played regularly for Wales at U16 level because I briefly met and spoke to his dad a couple of years ago. Fantastic achievement for any kid BTW but these kids go through big changes physically and mentally at that age.

I've seen photos of him in matches in the England kit of the time and in England team photos but don't  know if these were proper internationals or not I must admit.

Guest Smackavolley
6 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

I've seen pictures of him playing with England kit on and in England team groups but unsure if these were proper internationals or not.  Due to injuries mainly only 4 first years really featured meaning it will be a very different side next season.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/luke-hall/nationalmannschaft/spieler/627247

Looks like two Sub appearances at U15 level.

22 minutes ago, scram said:

TBF Brentford cast a wide net for triallists for their B team

Because they don't have an academy to select players from they always scrutinise and invite players from other clubs

They've also got to change their approach now due to Brexit and the work permit system.

Can't now stock up on loads of young Danish talent.