Academy retained list

Owls academy retained list confirmed

The Owls can confirm the players retained, offered contracts or released from the club’s academy following the conclusion of the 2020/21 season.

From the Under-23s, Josh Dawodu, Charles Hagan and Josh Render have each been offered new deals.

One-year options have been activated on Ryan Galvin, Lewis Farmer, Luke Jackson, Declan Thompson and Liam Waldock.

Luke Cox, Ben Hughes, Calum Huxley, Charlie Reaney and Isaac Rice have been released.

From the Under-18s, Paulo Aguas, Alex Bonnington, Jay Glover, Will Trueman and Basile Zottos have been offered professional contracts and will step up to the Under-23s next term.

Charlie Curtis, Corey Glaves, Luke Hall, Alex Hare and Luke Yates have been released.

Sheffield Wednesday would like to place on record our thanks to all those leaving Hillsborough and wish the players all the best for the future.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Happy with this, and the under 23 squad looks better for next year especially if they can get a couple of additions.

Hope they asses the ones in there last years who's just had there one year extensions activated in pre season and if they show promise new deals are offered out. I like Waldock and think he could be a first team player in League One this year.... if thats the case get him on a longer contract incase he excels. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, CalmJimmers said:

Anybody know if they are actually decent and looking for a spot in the first team?

Recognise a few names but not clued up on them.

If they are good can we not let their contracts run out thx.

By no means an expert but, Waldock could play in the first team next season from what ive seen. Deep lying playmaker who likes a challenge but can pass too..... and i don't know if it will last but just recently towards the end of the season for the under 23s has found his scoring boots. If Luongo stays I would think him and Waldock would be good options for our DM role next year.... so that makes CB and DM two areas we dont need to recruit for.

Hagan is also someone who could get into the first team fold. Very highly rated winger who i think would have featured this season but he has had a lot of injuries which have held him back. Seemed to get fit and playing well towards the end of the season so with a good pre season I could see him being involved too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

One year extensions again.

So which one will bite us in the arse in 6

months time? 

Mentioned this in an earlier post, this has to change, ok activate the 1 year extensions but in pre season those that were expecting to feature in the first team get new contracts offered ASAP.

We wont tho this is DC he DOES NOT LEARN.

• Like 1

Just now, Dutch McLovin said:

Mentioned this in an earlier post, this has to change, ok activate the 1 year extensions but in pre season those that were expecting to feature in the first team get new contracts offered ASAP.

We wont tho this is DC he DOES NOT LEARN.

‘’You hadn’t even heard of this player a year ago’’

This quote from DC re: Shaw really winds me up to this day and highlights exactly why we need him to step back and appoint a team of people who know football.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

‘’You hadn’t even heard of this player a year ago’’

This quote from DC re: Shaw really winds me up to this day and highlights exactly why we need him to step back and appoint a team of people who know football.

Exactly. Pathetic quote.

As ive stated above i am by no means an expert but in the under 18's even just with his size and the touch he had you could see he had a chance to make it. Then in the pre season under Bruce before he jumped ship he was getting mins so again he must have had something which was picked up on.

However, it is not the fans who should have heard of him, its the staff. They should have been saying get his contract extended just incase, he's made his debut in the first team and done ok extend it and protect ourselves then lets see if we can develop a player here !!!

Happened with Hirst, then with Clare, now with Shaw and he still does not learn looking at the retained list today. I hope im wrong and over the next weeks we see new contracts for the one year extensions but i suspect we wont.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Exactly. Pathetic quote.

As ive stated above i am by no means an expert but in the under 18's even just with his size and the touch he had you could see he had a chance to make it. Then in the pre season under Bruce before he jumped ship he was getting mins so again he must have had something which was picked up on.

However, it is not the fans who should have heard of him, its the staff. They should have been saying get his contract extended just incase, he's made his debut in the first team and done ok extend it and protect ourselves then lets see if we can develop a player here !!!

Happened with Hirst, then with Clare, now with Shaw and he still does not learn looking at the retained list today. I hope im wrong and over the next weeks we see new contracts for the one year extensions but i suspect we wont.

Completely agree.

And of course Hirst and Clare haven’t kicked on. But that’s not the point either. We let these players leave for pittance/nothing when their stock was potentially at its highest. Doesn’t matter whether we’ve overrated them or not.

It’s terrible business.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Completely agree.

And of course Hirst and Clare haven’t kicked on. But that’s not the point either. We let these players leave for pittance/nothing when their stock was potentially at its highest. Doesn’t matter whether we’ve overrated them or not.

It’s terrible business.

Exactly but who's to say they wouldn't have if they would have stayed ?? You never know playing does wonders for players.

The thing is you can just see it happening again, ive mentioned it in the above posts i rate Waldock, can see him doing the 'Shaw' this season breaking in playing well clamber for new contract no communication until Feb when we announce his agent is talking to other clubs.

Could be that DM needs to assess them more closely to make a judgement, though I agree youth coaches should always be flagging up those they feel can make the step up and be given better contracts well in advance of other clubs taking an interest as with Uroghide and Shaw. 

Young players who we decide to keep all need 2 year contracts minimum and then reevaluating 6-12 months after that.

They are paid a very low wage in comparison to first team players. Even if we sign on 10 at £1k a week (we only keep a few and I believe the wage is lower). That’s £500k a season. Only have to sell one player on for a couple of million ever 4 seasons just to break even. 

Championship and league 1 players only need to string together 20-30 good games in a season and stupidly they can be worth £5-£10million. 

We need to invest heavily in our academy, coaching and recruitment mainly. Sadly other clubs can pitch players for very little up to 16 I believe, so to focus on that age group. Plenty get released, lots get missed or develop late. Being these guys in, with much better coaches and facilities and we would see the benefits. Then actually offer a half decent wage with security of 2 years.  

This won’t happen, but I wish it did.

• Like 5
  • Love 1