Academy retained list

Guest wilyfox

Surprised about Render. Got the impression he was overtaken by Jackson, and we’re trialing another keeper. Personally feel Render is on the small side. Not sure he’ll make it. 

1 hour ago, FlyingOwl said:

‘’You hadn’t even heard of this player a year ago’’

This quote from DC re: Shaw really winds me up to this day and highlights exactly why we need him to step back and appoint a team of people who know football.

Ex-fuckingzactly.

If my day job was literally running Sheffield Wednesday (and I refused to appoint anyone to actually do any of it for me), I hope I would know exactly which academy players might end up being useful for the first team.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brad_owl said:

David Beckham, Harry Kane and Jack Grealish all went out on loan as youngsters, why not our lads?

Players develop playing games. Id rather they make develop playing for someone else and come back a better player. 

Hopefully the club has learnt their lessons with Hirst, Shaw and Uroghide. I mean that is still 3 times to learn the same lesson which is tin pot.

Doesn’t DC insist on clubs playing the full

wage for young players out on Loan? That might be the issue? Another thing that needs to change?

• Like 2

Do we never learn - I keep getting told DC has learnt his lesson blah blah blah.

Next season the likes of Galvin, Waldock and a few other will be in the first team, if as we hope they perform well come January we are going to have another Hirst, Clare, Shaw, Urhoghide situation.

How much are these kids on is it thousands a week or more likely hundreds a week. Would it kill the club to offer them at least 2 year deal. We have been bite on the backside so often with this why oh way do we keep doing it.

It shows we have no longer term planning for the players and shows that its a hope they progress rather than plans in place to improve them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jim said:

Doesn’t DC insist on clubs playing the full

wage for young players out on Loan? That might be the issue? Another thing that needs to change?

I don't have impression that club is doing anything to send our youngsters out on loan, never mind researching what would be a right level of football, right club, right manager to help develop every specific player.

It seems that only way they go out on loan is if loaning club contacts us and is ready to cover percentage of wages we ask them to.

1 hour ago, owlinexile said:

Ex-fuckingzactly.

If my day job was literally running Sheffield Wednesday (and I refused to appoint anyone to actually do any of it for me), I hope I would know exactly which academy players might end up being useful for the first team.

Agree on that. If any of these players do well in pre season they should be offered an extended deal. If one of them did well in league one a championship could would simply take them 

2 hours ago, Sensible Soccer said:

I don’t get why we do 1 year extensions... why not 2. Surely can’t be breaking the bank and protects those assets which we want to keep

There are players we are not sure about, hence 1 year contracts to give them more time to develop and for us to monitor them. There are plenty of players who don't get to play in their first year of academy football (as an example goalkeepers) so are given extra year at U-23 level.

Insane thing is that EVERY U-23 player at Wednesday gets that same 1 year deal. We show no faith and no trust in all of them and it draws question why keeping them at all ?!

Btw. After performing well and proving club wrong in not trusting them to make it, not hard to imagine why they don't jump at the chance to stay here and sign for pittance we are offering them.  Don't blame any of youngsters that left for blowing us off, we deserved it and trend will continue until we change our youth policy. It is so awful that Wednesday fans are getting their sons in United, Barnsley, Rotherham... academies.

27 minutes ago, malek said:

There are players we are not sure about, hence 1 year contracts to give them more time to develop and for us to monitor them. There are plenty of players who don't get to play in their first year of academy football (as an example goalkeepers) so are given extra year at U-23 level.

Insane thing is that EVERY U-23 player at Wednesday gets that same 1 year deal. We show no faith and no trust in all of them and it draws question why keeping them at all ?!

Btw. After performing well and proving club wrong in not trusting them to make it, not hard to imagine why they don't jump at the chance to stay here and sign for pittance we are offering them.  Don't blame any of youngsters that left for blowing us off, we deserved it and trend will continue until we change our youth policy. It is so awful that Wednesday fans are getting their sons in United, Barnsley, Rotherham... academies.

For me there should be no young players on a 1 year contract. For those we aren’t sure on they are most likely to mature towards the end of that year and hence they can will not be tied to the club.

3 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

In before DC tells me no-one was bothered about Galvin... CAN WE NOT HAVE GALVIN SITTING AROUND WITH ANYTHING LESS THAN 11.5 MONTHS LEFT ON HIS CONTRACT PLEASE

Also in before someone on here tries to defend the insane policy towards our youth players in 6 months time.

Moore needs to emphasise to DC strongly how a productive academy can be a starting point to moving forward. We’ve been playing at it for far too long. If this relegation does one thing it must be giving us a kick up the ar$e to sort the academy out at the very least?

2 hours ago, malek said:

I don't have impression that club is doing anything to send our youngsters out on loan, never mind researching what would be a right level of football, right club, right manager to help develop every specific player.

It seems that only way they go out on loan is if loaning club contacts us and is ready to cover percentage of wages we ask them to.

Do we have enough academy players to allow some to go out on loan or do we need to increase the numbers ?

4 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

Do we have enough academy players to allow some to go out on loan or do we need to increase the numbers ?

and now we're in the Pub League, some may be needed in the first team squad occasionally.

Which clubs would want our less successful academy lads on loan?

4 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Surprised about Render. Got the impression he was overtaken by Jackson, and we’re trialing another keeper. Personally feel Render is on the small side. Not sure he’ll make it. 

Yes that's the one surprised me

The younger Jackson was the one on the first team bench so I thought that was it for Render but the fact they have released Alex Hare has done him favours.

2 hours ago, Andrew_Owl said:

I thought that Isaac Rice was supposed to be decent 

Played for the first team in the FA Cup this season v Exeter. We were down to the bare bones though. Every player released was supposed to be decent. We got the same last year when Borukov was released.