Fernando Gago

IWEDFM

has just landed his first managerial position since hanging up his boots. He's taken over my local club Aldosivi which is a huge coup for them considering they are probably half the size of Burnley. It's a big risk for Aldosivi as they are in the top flight and it's Gago's first post but clubs here in Argentina are prepared to take a punt on young upcoming managers without experience

There are quite a few big name's currently managing in Primera. Apart from Gago there is Hernan Crespo at Defensa y Justicia, then there is Kily Gonzalez managing Rosario Central and Maxi Rodriguez is currently in charge of Newell's Old Boys

I think it's refreshing that clubs in Argentina are prepared to gamble on a young manager and it does pay off. Crespo has just led Defensa to the Copa Sudamericana final (equivalent to the Euopa League final) which is no mean feat considering they are a similar sized club to Aldosivi with limited resources

The fans are also in favour of giving young managers the chance to launch their careers especially if it is a club legend which is the case of Maxi Rodriguez at Newell's

The level and quality of English managers back home is extremely worrying. We don't have any world class managers in any team or league across the world. Can you think of just one? Where as in Argentina they have too many to pick from (Simeone, Pochettino, Bielsa to name just a few)

The system needs to change in England. The Premier League is the most competitive league in the world yet we don't have a single world class manager to show for it

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Lampard, Rooney, Terry (as assistant) all high profile England players who got jobs in the top couple of divisions in England. 

Superstar players will always get decent jobs. Not exclusive to Argentina 

You've named one guy who has just got the Derby job in the second division cos they're skint and an assistant manager

I'm talking about young managers being given a chance in the Premier League instead of the same failed manager-go-round likes of Big Sam

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IWEDFM said:

You've named one guy who has just got the Derby job in the second division cos they're skint and an assistant manager

I'm talking about young managers being given a chance in the Premier League instead of the same failed manager-go-round likes of Big Sam

Derby who by your own account are bigger than 2 of the clubs you mention, and lampard at Chelsea who Dwarf the clubs listed (Newells OB) apart

Just now, fudge27 said:

Derby who by your own account are bigger than 2 of the clubs you mention, and lampard at Chelsea who Dwarf the clubs listed (Newells OB) apart

I've named 4 managers and you've named 1

I think my point is proven that not enough young English managers are given a fair crack in the Premier League

• Like 1

Going back to Gago he is 34 years old and retired from playing last month and he's gone straight into management at the highest level in Argentina. Where as a young manager in England could have relative success for 10 years and he wouldn't get offered a job in the Premier League unless he got there through promotion with his club

We need a complete shake up. There is a reason why we don't have a single world class manager anywhere across the globe. Not enough opportunities are being handed out

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

I've named 3, but each to their own

Fair enough but I counted two as Terry is NOT a manager and up to now has never been a manager

My point still stands though. There isn't a single world class English manager. Clearly something is wrong

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

Fair enough but I counted two as Terry is NOT a manager and up to now has never been a manager

My point still stands though. There isn't a single world class English manager. Clearly something is wrong

does it matter ?.......english clubs  can afford to pay top dollar to get the best so why take a punt on someone unproven ......i doubt clubs in argentina can attract the best of the rest world to go manage in there league so for them they have to go down the unproven route .

27 minutes ago, torryowl said:

does it matter ?.......english clubs  can afford to pay top dollar to get the best so why take a punt on someone unproven ......i doubt clubs in argentina can attract the best of the rest world to go manage in there league so for them they have to go down the unproven route .

Yes it does matter as it affects our national side

3 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

Yes it does matter as it affects our national side

How are any of the names other then pochettino and bielsea world class managers? 

Alan pardew got to an fa cup final, does that make him world class? 

And poch was a manager at Southampton and spurs, 2 English clubs.

43 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

How are any of the names other then pochettino and bielsea world class managers? 

Alan pardew got to an fa cup final, does that make him world class? 

And poch was a manager at Southampton and spurs, 2 English clubs.

I never said those currently managing in Argentina were world class. What I said was that here they are prepared to give young managers a chance where as there is a fear factor amongst Premier League sides and whenever they sack a manager they go for the safe option of Big Sam, Moyes, Pulis or Bruce etc.

The more opportunities given to young English managers the more likely we are to produce a world class manager which as a result will help our national side. How can it be that difficult to understand?

You only have to look at Steven Gerrard. There is no way an English Prem club would have taken a punt on him but has proven he is more than capable despite the Scottish Prem being inferior

Let's just leave it there and agree to disagree as we clearly have differing views

17 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

The more opportunities given to young English managers the more likely we are to produce a world class manager which as a result will help our national side. How can it be that difficult to understand?

but the FA can afford to appoint any  world class manager who wants the job no matter where he's from .......we've gone down the route of appointing english managers who cut there teeth  at a young age in the leagues ...ramsay,revie,keegan,hoddle,venables  allardyce,southgate where all in the  30s when the started managing    and only one of them ever won owt  at international level . .....the trick is to find a good manager how old or where he's from dont matter  

On 22/01/2021 at 14:48, IWEDFM said:

has just landed his first managerial position since hanging up his boots. He's taken over my local club Aldosivi which is a huge coup for them considering they are probably half the size of Burnley. It's a big risk for Aldosivi as they are in the top flight and it's Gago's first post but clubs here in Argentina are prepared to take a punt on young upcoming managers without experience

There are quite a few big name's currently managing in Primera. Apart from Gago there is Hernan Crespo at Defensa y Justicia, then there is Kily Gonzalez managing Rosario Central and Maxi Rodriguez is currently in charge of Newell's Old Boys

I think it's refreshing that clubs in Argentina are prepared to gamble on a young manager and it does pay off. Crespo has just led Defensa to the Copa Sudamericana final (equivalent to the Euopa League final) which is no mean feat considering they are a similar sized club to Aldosivi with limited resources

The fans are also in favour of giving young managers the chance to launch their careers especially if it is a club legend which is the case of Maxi Rodriguez at Newell's

The level and quality of English managers back home is extremely worrying. We don't have any world class managers in any team or league across the world. Can you think of just one? Where as in Argentina they have too many to pick from (Simeone, Pochettino, Bielsa to name just a few)

The system needs to change in England. The Premier League is the most competitive league in the world yet we don't have a single world class manager to show for it

DyJ about to win the cup.