Nigel Jemson interview

Interesting interview. Plenty of stuff about Cloughie and the drinking culture at Wednesday in there.

Interesting to note we were always bad at selling players - We seem to have made a big loss on Jemmo when he was under 25 years of age. The only decent transfer i remember was getting a good deal for Warhurst. The drinking stories make you realise why Francis didn't do as well with that squad as we thought he might.

• Like 2

Just now, @owlstalk said:

We didn't do well under Trevor Francis because was a horrific manager and he ruined our club

Well this sheds a bit of light on to why he was so horrific. Jemson went from an authoritarian Cloughie to a guy who wouldn't tell the players off and would finish his coffee before joining the players on the training ground.

• Like 2

Just now, Marc Degryse said:

Well this sheds a bit of light on to why he was so horrific. Jemson went from an authoritarian Cloughie to a guy who wouldn't tell the players off and would finish his coffee before joining the players on the training ground.

Just watching it now - thank you for posting I'm enjoying it!

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, Nut said:

Listened last week. Seems a decent 'normal' bloke. Had quite a bit of bad luck in his career but has no bitterness. 

I think he is still bitter about being left out of that cup final team. It did seem like a hard knock from Cloughie especially when a staff member told him he would be in the team during the week. 

I'm glad he mentioned his sitter miss against Southampton.

This evidence might help me with me appeal to the Schools board  challenging their marks for me GCSE finals piece "Jemmo misses a sitter against Southampton" Hyperrealism in pencils.

• Haha 1

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

16 minutes ago, Marc Degryse said:

I think he is still bitter about being left out of that cup final team. It did seem like a hard knock from Cloughie especially when a staff member told him he would be in the team during the week. 

Yes that was a strange one. Cloughie seemed to do it out of spite. He's always thought of as this great character but was pretty cruel at times. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nut said:

Yes that was a strange one. Cloughie seemed to do it out of spite. He's always thought of as this great character but was pretty cruel at times. 

I agree - Great character for the fans but he could freeze out players like Sheridan. We profitted from that but would love to hear Johns story on that one.

57 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I don't think Wednesday were alone in having a few players who liked a night out at that time.

Nothing wrong with going out to celebrate after a win, the current squad must be loaded as the last time they all went out to celebrate a win was 2 season ago :duntmatter:

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Marc Degryse said:

I agree - Great character for the fans but he could freeze out players like Sheridan. We profitted from that but would love to hear Johns story on that one.

One of weirdest things ever Clough/Sheridan on paper you'd think he'd have been his ideal player.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

6 minutes ago, Nut said:

Think Brian Clough is a remarkable man but his style of management wouldn't happen today.

Was a bully and dictator at times.
John McGovern who played for Clough at 4 clubs say he was type of manager who he would run through brick walls for but would be one of the last people he would want to have a drink with.

3 minutes ago, Errol Flashman said:

One of weirdest things ever Clough/Sheridan on paper you'd think he'd have been his ideal player.

I think he froze Sheridan out because he was signed by one of his assistants when Clough was on holiday and wanted to teach him a lesson that it was Clough who was in charge.

19 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think Brian Clough is a remarkable man but his style of management wouldn't happen today.

Was a bully and dictator at times.
John McGovern who played for Clough at 4 clubs say he was type of manager who he would run through brick walls for but would be one of the last people he would want to have a drink with.

It's a funny one int it. Coz I reckon there's still a lot of players would like him and buy into the way he did things. Not all, but some. 

Modern owners though....I don't think he'd last 5 minutes.

• Like 1

Corrrr this interview is INCREDIBLE

If you've not watched this yet -  watch it - and watch it all the way through

The stories are unreal

The stories about the culture under Francis - how on earth did we let that man manage (or be named as manager - he didn't ever actually manage us by the sound of it) is beyond me

Also - the question about Kevin Blackwell (Warnock's assistant) - WOW - no holds barred on the answer there from Jemson!!

lol

Owlstalk Shop