Take Westwood and Dawson out of the equation

And ask if we are too critical of our keepers

Yes Dawson has dropped a clanger today just as Westwood was doing earlier in the season but I’ve just watched the EFL championship games and there were goals left right and centre that we’d be crucifying our keeper for if we’d conceded them, including many from the supposed better teams in the division 

Are we expecting keepers to be infallible and make no mistakes ever....outfield players make dozens and dozens of bad passes, decisions, tackles etc but there’s rarely a thread started about them because often it doesn’t result in a goal....keeper makes a mistake and 8/10 it’s in the back of the net

do we need to be more realistic?

• Like 2

No excuse for the ineptitude in goal for the past few games. I get you are a Dawson fanboy but you’re trying to defend him to the detriment of the team. Neither Westwood or Dawson are the answer to the problems in goal. I do think Dawson might be a decent understudy but no way is he a Championship keeper at the minute as his performances are dire.

Edited by Prince

1 hour ago, Ian said:

And ask if we are too critical of our keepers

Yes Dawson has dropped a clanger today just as Westwood was doing earlier in the season but I’ve just watched the EFL championship games and there were goals left right and centre that we’d be crucifying our keeper for if we’d conceded them, including many from the supposed better teams in the division 

Are we expecting keepers to be infallible and make no mistakes ever....outfield players make dozens and dozens of bad passes, decisions, tackles etc but there’s rarely a thread started about them because often it doesn’t result in a goal....keeper makes a mistake and 8/10 it’s in the back of the net

do we need to be more realistic?

Yes. We do need to be more realistic. Dawson has made two mistakes recently but has also been excellent otherwise. 

35 minutes ago, Prince said:

No excuse for the ineptitude in goal for the past few games. I get you are a Dawson fanboy but you’re trying to defend him to the detriment of the team. Neither Westwood or Dawson are the answer to the problems in goal. I do think Dawson might be a decent understudy but no way is he a Championship keeper at the minute as his performances are dire.

As a person that is not a Dawson fanboy, I’d like to inform that what you have stated in your post is a crock of 5h1t as Dawson’s performances have been far from dire. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Prince said:

I purposely took the individuals out of it, yet you decide to bring them back in

Would you replace any of our keepers with England’s no.1 on today’s showing (which is not a 1 off by any means) 

Edited by Ian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, shandypants said:

As a person that is not a Dawson fanboy, I’d like to inform that what you have stated in your post is a crock of 5h1t as Dawson’s performances have been far from dire. 

Have to disagree he been the shocking last few weeks. Kicking is embarrassing for a professional player. Take the blinkers off or crawl out from his crack, he’s not good enough for a promotion chasing side yet.

Just now, Prince said:

Have to disagree he been the shocking last few weeks. Kicking is embarrassing for a professional player. Take the blinkers off or crawl out from his crack, he’s not good enough for a promotion chasing side yet.

Tell you what.....name us a championship keeper that you’d have instead and let’s review their performances over the next few weeks

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

I purposely took the individuals out of it, yet yah decide to bring them back in

Would you replace any of our keepers with England’s no.1 on today’s showing (which is not a 1 off by any means) 

You took them out because it suited your agenda. Neither are good enough for where we need to be and I would be looking for a new number 1 in the summer. Dawson’s kicking is pants and that’s being kind to the lad.

Edited by Prince

Just now, Prince said:

You took them out because it suited you’re agenda. Neither are good enough for where we need to be and I would be looking for a new number 1 in the summer. Dawson’s kicking is pants and that’s being kind to the lad.

Not keen to take up the challenge of naming one though are you?

- He’s rightly getting noticed far beyond Sheffield as a very credible homegrown goalkeeper with potential to become excellent.

- He’s still pretty young for a first-choice goalie at a good-sized club, and hasn’t played hundreds of starting XI games yet by any stretch.

- In a couple of short years he’s grown in confidence *loads* in terms of commanding his area better, which used to be by far his biggest weakness - his pedigree as a superb shot-stopper has been clear to any that watch us since his debut.

- He’s done maybe three really poor clearances this season, which have all been punished immediately and mercilessly, very unlucky IMO. Loads of great keepers are dodgy on the ball and get away with it time and again.

- These are all basic facts, not ‘fanboying’.

- In short, no.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, shandypants said:

Fvvck off nobhead

Don’t pick on him, he’s obviously not got the intelligence to read the thread title and now realises he’s backed himself in to a corner and is desperately goggling keepers who don’t play so that he can’t be shown up in coming weeks 

Just now, Prince said:

Based on others failures is how we judge our players now? Scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

Still no name.....full of it

“We need to replace him”

with who 

“someone”

like who

”Er shut up”

any name will do

“leave me alone”

Bad mistake today, that can’t be denied, but if we had half decent players in front of him with any kind of goal threat then he could get away with the odd aberration.  Unfortunately we are a poor side and consequently Dawson is not afforded that luxury.

Really hope he keeps his place and continues to develop - I do not want to see Westwood back in the team under any circumstances.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1