Take Westwood and Dawson out of the equation

As we all know, there are - at least there should be - 10 outfiled players in front of the 'keeper. It's a collective responsibilty to defend and it should start from the front, not the back. That said every team will have moments when their 'keeper is called upon. Personally I've been impressed with the way Dawson has come on this season, but he isn't the finished article. No player is and if people on here think that we are better than Barca, Liverpool, Madrid, Bayern....well, then they need to give their heads a good shake. Our players are playing for us because this is their level; a level that has as much negatvity as it does positivity. Rough and smooth. Championship football.

Dawson clearly made a mistake yesterday, and also a very similar mistake against QPR, that didn't cost us in the end. Yesterday, you may say he contributed largely to two points dropped, but who's to say Barnsley wouldn't have scored anyway? But a 'keeper who makes one mistake can get punished like that. How many of our outfield players made bad decisions or inaccurate passes? All of them, but they don't get punished in the same way as a 'keeper can.

To be honest, Dawson had a poor game yesterday. His decision making was all over the place, but the game is now over and it's up to Dawson and the coaching staff to analyse what went off, or didn't, and why and then resolve that. We aren't the finished article either. We are work in progress and that work and progress will go on forever.

I appreciate people are frustrated and also entitled to their opinions. I'd say let's try and keep things in perspective here. We are probably a top 10 team with a slim outside chance of making the play-offs. I would have said that before the start of the season.

• Like 1

Dawson for me should be a back up. I would not drop him for Westwood as I hope we see the back end of him this summer. I do hope though that in the summer a stand out first choice comes in.

Karl Darlow is out of contract in the summer at Newcastle. 29 years old, played a big part in Newcastle winning the title in 16/17. Exactly the type we should be after. 

11 hours ago, Ian said:

And ask if we are too critical of our keepers

Yes Dawson has dropped a clanger today just as Westwood was doing earlier in the season but I’ve just watched the EFL championship games and there were goals left right and centre that we’d be crucifying our keeper for if we’d conceded them, including many from the supposed better teams in the division 

Are we expecting keepers to be infallible and make no mistakes ever....outfield players make dozens and dozens of bad passes, decisions, tackles etc but there’s rarely a thread started about them because often it doesn’t result in a goal....keeper makes a mistake and 8/10 it’s in the back of the net

do we need to be more realistic?

So being critical of the keeper was OK from you when it was Westwood but now Dawson is getting it in the neck you feel we need to reflect on our attitude as a whole?

Interesting.

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So being critical of the keeper was OK from you when it was Westwood but now Dawson is getting it in the neck you feel we need to reflect on our attitude as a whole?

Interesting.

Another one who can’t read the thread title

Just now, Ian said:

Another one who can’t read the thread title

I can see you wrote Westwood thanks, I just think your timing is interesting, I doubt you would have started this thread had it been Westwood making the error yesterday. 

13 hours ago, Ian said:

And ask if we are too critical of our keepers

Yes Dawson has dropped a clanger today just as Westwood was doing earlier in the season but I’ve just watched the EFL championship games and there were goals left right and centre that we’d be crucifying our keeper for if we’d conceded them, including many from the supposed better teams in the division 

Are we expecting keepers to be infallible and make no mistakes ever....outfield players make dozens and dozens of bad passes, decisions, tackles etc but there’s rarely a thread started about them because often it doesn’t result in a goal....keeper makes a mistake and 8/10 it’s in the back of the net

do we need to be more realistic?

You make a valid point and it raises questions about the other 10 on the field. Our last third is under too much pressure. We don't defend high enough up the pitch. We don't defend as a unit. We don't press and harry players as other teams do to us. Jack Butland at Stoke was awful first half of the season and now, behind a well organised team, he's back to being a top keeper again. We have three decent keepers at the club...we don't have players in front of them providing the solidity and protection they need.

Amazing how many people really backing Dawson. 

Qpr one was a clanger yes but Barnsley goal was absolutely diabolical.

Fessi shielded player off so Dawson could pick up in area. Only need leave it another foot and could have picked it up. 

All this hes still young crap he’s 24 not 18. 

My junior team wouldn’t make that mistake.

Fessi should have gone mad with him.