What amount of money is enough?

51 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

20k/week roughly equals £1m/year. Annual interest at 5% on a million quid would be 50k/year. So in theory, if you can save even £600-800k cash over the course of a 10yr career, while paying off your mortgage quickly, you ought to be able to retire on 30-40k a year with a roof over your head and a huge nest egg without ever needing to lift a finger again, if you really want to.

Outrageous! Well jel

Difficult to get 5% interest on money so you need  more. Then you need to inflation proof it.

£50k might sound a lot now but if you retire at 34 you might live another 50 or 60 years.  45 years ago £1000 per year was decent money. £50K will be chump change in 50 years.

Seriously you need a BIG wedge to retire at 34.

8 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Are you on the beer again?                        

Come and help me with my summer car project...an idiot passing tools to a functioning alcoholic...to me to you... Mycroft isn't an idiot...I'm sensitive about my addiction.

Edited by Costello 77

37 minutes ago, prowl said:

Difficult to get 5% interest on money so you need  more. Then you need to inflation proof it.

£50k might sound a lot now but if you retire at 34 you might live another 50 or 60 years.  45 years ago £1000 per year was decent money. £50K will be chump change in 50 years.

We’ll all be living in sandcastles fighting over leather bandanas and eating out of Tesla electric bins in 50 years

26 minutes ago, prowl said:

or you take the realistic view that you have made a large wedge from your god given talent 

....thank your lucky stars that you have avoided the need to do a day job for 15+ years and having been paid handsomely for it

....and if you do not have sufficient funds - do what the rest of us have done for the whole of our adult life and get a job in the real world to provide for yourself and your family !

you can probably tell that I do not subscribe to the 'short career' b... s... - there is nothing special about professional footballers which states that once they can no longer play football they can no longer work !......if they are fortunate to be ablate retire at the end of a very lucrative career then good luck to them ..but if not then retrain and get a proper job !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mycroft said:

I'll leave you to it

There's a great dichotomy at play here..

The logical part of my brain is constantly at war with Keith Moon and Oliver .... When I'm drunk.. I want to be as happy as when I'm sober.

Through force of will only... I function.

12 hours ago, leicesterowl said:

or you take the realistic view that you have made a large wedge from your god given talent 

....thank your lucky stars that you have avoided the need to do a day job for 15+ years and having been paid handsomely for it

....and if you do not have sufficient funds - do what the rest of us have done for the whole of our adult life and get a job in the real world to provide for yourself and your family !

you can probably tell that I do not subscribe to the 'short career' b... s... - there is nothing special about professional footballers which states that once they can no longer play football they can no longer work !......if they are fortunate to be ablate retire at the end of a very lucrative career then good luck to them ..but if not then retrain and get a proper job !

Perfectly reasonable viewpoint, much the same as my own. I was replying to the suggestion that £1m would be enough to retire on.

Everyone is different.

Finding personal bliss is an individual thing, not attached to money.

ps - waiting on an increase of salary of £24k p.a.

But it won’t change me one bit.

I’ll always be a nob.

• Haha 1