Wednesday v Orient 25/10/80

My only memories of the game were leading 2-0 and also several Wednesday players surrounding the referee over a decision he made. I also remember watching it on the tv, in the days when it was almost a special occasion if your teams game was shown.

Edited by sexpistol

I have feeling that the footage you're looking for was  recorded over as a cost cutting measure by YTV. 

A lot of our games between 1976-78 have been lost, i was looking for some footage of Tommy Tynan scoring for us and managed to get 1 game V Preston through a Preston fan on youtube. 

http://carousel.royalwebhosting.net/itv/YTVfootball.html

The link shows games covered and which are archived.

25/Oct    Sheffield Wednesday 2 (McCulloch, Mirocovic) Orient 2 (Moores, Chedozie) 

17 minutes ago, Uncle Mort AMB said:

I have feeling that the footage you're looking for was  recorded over as a cost cutting measure by YTV. 

A lot of our games between 1976-78 have been lost, i was looking for some footage of Tommy Tynan scoring for us and managed to get 1 game V Preston through a Preston fan on youtube. 

http://carousel.royalwebhosting.net/itv/YTVfootball.html

The link shows games covered and which are archived.

25/Oct    Sheffield Wednesday 2 (McCulloch, Mirocovic) Orient 2 (Moores, Chedozie) 

YTV have erased it, but they did keep a copy of the Monster Trucks episode which followed it that night. 

• Haha 4

I’m familiar with the website shown on the link. I wasn’t aware the matches were recorded over.

I remember in 1983 and our FA cup 5th round game away at Cambridge was shown on Anglia TV but the goals never shown in the Yorkshire region. IIRC it was due to some contractual reason???

5 hours ago, sexpistol said:

A bit random, but does anybody have footage of this match. I know it was the main game on YTVs The Big Match. It was a 2-2 draw ( Wednesday were leading 2-0) and I believe it was Mirocovic’s debut.

The return game was shown on MOTD.

I believe Liam Palmer was at fault for both Orients goals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

I’m familiar with the website shown on the link. I wasn’t aware the matches were recorded over.

I remember in 1983 and our FA cup 5th round game away at Cambridge was shown on Anglia TV but the goals never shown in the Yorkshire region. IIRC it was due to some contractual reason???

Yes it  was on another link for the YTV Archive also they had a fire and lost a lot of stock footage, at one time you could buy footage at a price sadly the archive has been moved  and is now in The National Film & TV Archive who will put footage on disc for you but it ain't cheap.

If i find it i will put it on here in the video section, if i remember rightly Mirocovic also hit the bar in that game. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Uncle Mort AMB said:

Yes it  was on another link for the YTV Archive also they had a fire and lost a lot of stock footage, at one time you could buy footage at a price sadly the archive has been moved  and is now in The National Film & TV Archive who will put footage on disc for you but it ain't cheap.

If i find it i will put it on here in the video section, if i remember rightly Mirocovic also hit the bar in that game. 

Do you actually think you have footage of both the Orient and Cambridge games?

18 hours ago, sexpistol said:

Do you actually think you have footage of both the Orient and Cambridge games?

Sorry mate had look through some DVD's i made of old games nothing on them, but i did a bit of digging about on youtube

and apparently the Cambridge game and Palace V Burnley were the only Cup ties not covered by both Match Of The Day or the Big Game.

In 1983 YTV stopped doing their own highlights package and used Granada's Match Time production and Anglia used London Weekend's production on the 19th February 1983 because Match Of The Day had the Norwich V Ipswich Cup tie has they main game.

The contractual reason you quoted could have been for the goals and not full highlights.

53 minutes ago, Uncle Mort AMB said:

Sorry mate had look through some DVD's i made of old games nothing on them, but i did a bit of digging about on youtube

and apparently the Cambridge game and Palace V Burnley were the only Cup ties not covered by both Match Of The Day or the Big Game.

In 1983 YTV stopped doing their own highlights package and used Granada's Match Time production and Anglia used London Weekend's production on the 19th February 1983 because Match Of The Day had the Norwich V Ipswich Cup tie has they main game.

The contractual reason you quoted could have been for the goals and not full highlights.

Thanks for having a look mate. I’ve checked the regional football website for the Anglian TV region and on Feb 19th 1983 the Cambridge v Wednesday game was shown as the main game in that region. I can remember at the end of the game i was watching World of sport and they did the report at the end of the game and it showed the jubilant Wednesday fans going out of the ground. I’m not sure how true this is as I was at the semi final game later that season, but in the build up show (Saint and Greavsie?) i was told they showed the goals on that programme also??

4 hours ago, sexpistol said:

Thanks for having a look mate. I’ve checked the regional football website for the Anglian TV region and on Feb 19th 1983 the Cambridge v Wednesday game was shown as the main game in that region. I can remember at the end of the game i was watching World of sport and they did the report at the end of the game and it showed the jubilant Wednesday fans going out of the ground. I’m not sure how true this is as I was at the semi final game later that season, but in the build up show (Saint and Greavsie?) i was told they showed the goals on that programme also??

Strange no other company could show the game,yes it was On The Ball back then for the Semi  they also showed Bannister's run and volley at QPR in the same show.

You must be the unluckiest bloke mate, i've found the World Of Sport for that day which had On The Ball on it and its been blocked.