Vancouver Whitecaps

On 22/12/2018 at 14:46, sonofbert2 said:

I went and have the programme at home still somewhere.  I always remembered it because it wasn't a "proper" one.

IMG_7368.JPG

I have that programme. I didn’t go to the game, but my then neighbours son did and gave it me a few years later.

Didn't see this game..  Whitecaps were quite the team way back.  Won the NASL cup in the70s and were basically the Canadian National Team in the 80s

Better days ahead hopefully..  haven't played in Canada due to Covid for over a year..  First real home game is August 21st...  got my tix already...

This was the last match I went to before emigrating ,to guess where; Vancouver.  The team back then was full of ex players from overseas as well as up and comers.  Peter Lorimer, Terry Yorath, Trevor Whymark, Kevin Hector, Roger Kenyon, Willie Johnston, Derek Posse and as mentioned before a young Peter Beardsley as well as a young Bruce Grobbelaar were all part of the team..  They won the NASL title in 1979 and ten years later played a reunion match against the new team. I had a couple of connections with the old team and managed to arrange a charity game a couple of days after the reunion to raise funds for the Hillsborough Disaster which had happened just a few weeks earlier.  It was great day my Sunday league team lining up against theses great names.  They trounced us 6-0 but raised a few thousand dollars.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rogers said:

image.jpeg.b3bf62c58a32e4d5df4b2e5b1a4fd8d7.jpeg
image.jpeg.b49d8f186b5c2a96d9506b515040b6ed.jpeg

they never had anyone uglier 

What was hilarious was when TV interviewed him on the field after the match. He is missing most of his front teeth and didn't wear his dentures while playing add to that his broad Geordie accent and you couldn't understand a word he was saying 😆