Tonight’s attendance

34 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I’m not judging anyone. 

Was just shocked that attendance expectations (and actual) was so low for a premier league team in cup and half price tickets.  

It's mad that the tables have fully turned last night and now everyone's asking why the season ticket holders boycotted this game.

Reasons range from 'cant' be bothered' to 'it might rain' etc etc

Then one reason about it being too much too soon in a run of three games, and therefore too expensive. 

Yet when it's the other way round and truefans are slating pay on the gate fans for not going if any of those reasons were given for not going they'd get a right slating.

I think the whole moral of this thread is simply for everyone to stop judging others, stop slating others, and just crack on with your own thing. 

There are many many reasons why people can't/don't go to games, and it's certainly not for one fan to judge another simply by the games they go to / don't go to.

Last night ended that debate, and the trufans can't come on anymore slating those who don't or can't go to every single game.

Owlstalk Shop

7 hours ago, Plonk said:

Absolutely. Tonight for me has put the ticket price argument to bed once and for all. You had the chance. You didn’t take it.   Put up or shut up? Might now be time to shut up. 

Firstly the attendance reletive to other games last night was perfectly respectable. 

Secondly although it was cheaper, it was certainly notthe cheapest on offer, with some clubs I was told  charging a fiver last night. 

Thirdly the ticket price argument is obviously based around Saturday afternoon attractive league games. Lots of people including myself struggle to get to mid week games purely because of the time that you have to set off to get  there. Nothing to do with price. 

Edited by Geedee

Exactly if I lived in Sheffield or the surrounds I would probably have gone. But 5 hour round trip, 260 miles, set off at 3pm latest, endure roadworks on the way back, roll in at 1am and be knackered the following day.

The 10 quid ticket is irrelevant. Costs 3 times more in fuel

I don't see how this is an argument - it was always going to be poorly attended because:

- It's the League Cup which everyone knows is Mickey Mouse.

- It's a Tuesday night. For those who don't live in Sheffield and don't finish until gone 5:00pm or 6:00pm, getting to a night game is very difficult. 

- It's the Tuesday after a bank holiday weekend (lots of people go on holiday).

- It's Wolves. Premier League yes, but one of the least glamorous sides we could have drawn with them being newly promoted.

- We were always going to play a weak side.

- We were more than likely going to lose. 

- The atmosphere was sure to be horrific (like it is every game to be fair). 

A £15 offer for this sort of game is not what people have been asking for. We want it for a league game, ideally on a Saturday. 

Always said I would be intrigued to know what percentage of our season ticket holders live an hour or more away. Or rely on public transport

2 minutes ago, roundhayowl said:

I don't see how this is an argument - it was always going to be poorly attended because:

- It's the League Cup which everyone knows is Mickey Mouse.

- It's a Tuesday night. For those who don't live in Sheffield and don't finish until gone 5:00pm or 6:00pm, getting to a night game is very difficult. 

- It's the Tuesday after a bank holiday weekend (lots of people go on holiday).

- It's Wolves. Premier League yes, but one of the least glamorous sides we could have drawn with them being newly promoted.

- We were always going to play a weak side.

- We were more than likely going to lose. 

- The atmosphere was sure to be horrific (like it is every game to be fair). 

A £15 offer for this sort of game is not what people have been asking for. We want it for a league game, ideally on a Saturday. 

This is my point though (and why it IS an argument/debate)

All too often the pay on the gate fans who don't go to every game are slaughtered by the uberfans for coming up with reasons like that for not going

Then they say things like 'watch them all crawl out of the woodwork when we get to wembley' etc

Their argument is now totally dead in the water.

Owlstalk Shop

7 hours ago, Plonk said:

Absolutely. Tonight for me has put the ticket price argument to bed once and for all. You had the chance. You didn’t take it.   Put up or shut up? Might now be time to shut up. 

Lol

It's been three years.  The priced out fans are long gone.  People find other things to do.

Do you think people should be sitting at home in a ragged Wednesday kit obsessively refreshing the club website waiting for that one £20 Tuesday night league cup match that might never show up?

It's going to take a sustained period of reasonable prices coupled with a serious PR campaign from the club to get the POTG numbers back.  And given the way football is changing even that might not work.

People need a reason to go, not an excuse to stay at home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Guest Hillsborough Mole

A 'part timer' who goes to half the games probably puts more in the club pot than a season ticket holder now

• Premier League opposition
  • Chance to progress in the cup
  • Forestieri, Fletcher etc playing
  • Exciting new youth players coming through
  • Night game (always a bit more exciting)
  • Tickets priced at a tenner and a fiver for kids

Not sure what the reasons would be for NOT going to be honest

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

• Premier League opposition
  • Chance to progress in the cup
  • Forestieri, Fletcher etc playing
  • Exciting new youth players coming through
  • Night game (always a bit more exciting)
  • Tickets priced at a tenner and a fiver for kids

Not sure what the reasons would be for NOT going to be honest

I'll take some of whatever your on - sounds fun. 

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Tell me which bits I said that you feel are incorrect mate

I've already outlined the points. You are coming from a different POV - fair enough. But most people, including ST holders, will side with the reasons I have stated. Hence the crowd last night. To be honest, it could have been a fiver and I don't think it would have made much of a difference.

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What's the point in cup games then if the higher placed league club automatically wins? 

For me a club like Wolves is the absolute worst, least attractive kind of cup draw you can get.

An unfashionable, unglamorous Premiership makeweight who we have played in the league recently, who aren't good enough to interest neutrals but good enough to definitely beat us without massive effort.

Edited by owlinexile