The 1990's Forestieri

4 minutes ago, LiamAP22D said:

respect your view but you dont score goals like he did, against the opposition he did without being world class. He wasn't there to defend!

Yes he scored some great goals. But as others have said his decision making was flawed, (i.e. taking on worldie shots when others had an easy chance if he passed to them, doing daft tricks in midfield and losing the ball) preventing him from being world class. You cant have his flaws and be world class, though he did have flashes of brilliance, but not enough to make him a great. Paulo was much less flash but a far better footballer.

8 hours ago, LiamAP22D said:

Stop it! Fernando was decent. Carbone was absoloute world class! He could have played for anyone.

Apart from his country

or any other top end football team in any country once Inter let him go early in his career

8 hours ago, mark1948 said:

For all of his attacking flare Carbone was a liability defensively. He would try to pull off a trick in midfield lose the forward movement of the attack, lose the ball the Hillsborough hush decended and you hear every knot in our net as the opposition score yeat another Carbone gift. FF doesn't give the ball away as Carbone did. 

Beni could be selfish at times and he was sometimes guilty of over egging the pudding. But how many times did he gift the opposition goals?

What do you mean "Yet another Carbone gift"?

Fernando doesn't give the ball away, but he's not as gifted as what Beni was. 

6 minutes ago, Robdylan said:

Beni could be selfish at times and he was sometimes guilty of over egging the pudding. But how many times did he gift the opposition goals?

What do you mean "Yet another Carbone gift"?

Fernando doesn't give the ball away, but he's not as gifted as what Beni was. 

10 x more gifted.......and the bst player in our team unlike your hero who wasn't even 2nd best in the team when he played for us..

Edited by Ian

8 hours ago, mark1948 said:

Carbone wasn't world class he was as I said a defensive liability. Its just a guess but that's probably why he didn't play international football. Chris Waddle was world class, and Paulo Di Canio was much better than Carbone in all respects.

Of course he was world class.

He played for Inter Milan with the likes of Paul Ince, Roberto Carlos and Youri Djorkaeff. 

Paolo didn't play international football either. And that's because both Paolo and Beni played their best football without being shackled by defensive responsibilities. They both played their best football with Napoli, where they were given free roles. They were both good enough to get capped, but the managers of the national teams preferred hard working defensive minded players such as Angelo Di Livio.

Regarding Waddle, he of course was also world class. But how often did he defend? Players like that shouldn't have defensive responsibilities. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mark1948 said:

Yes he scored some great goals. But as others have said his decision making was flawed, (i.e. taking on worldie shots when others had an easy chance if he passed to them, doing daft tricks in midfield and losing the ball) preventing him from being world class. You cant have his flaws and be world class, though he did have flashes of brilliance, but not enough to make him a great. Paulo was much less flash but a far better footballer.

He played at the highest level in Serie A.

What is your definition of world class?

How was Paolo less flash?

Paolo was more flash. Paolo would turn somebody inside out at the byeline, and then go back again instead of crossing it. I loved both of them equally, but Paolo was just as guilty in over doing things. 

18 minutes ago, Ian said:

Apart from his country

or any other top end football team in any country once Inter let him go early in his career

Inter didn't want him to go.

He also played for Parma in 2003.

Paolo never got capped for his country either.

Your argument has just fell apart. 

14 minutes ago, Ian said:

10 x more gifted.......and the bst player in our team unlike your hero who wasn't even 2nd best in the team when he played for us..

Put foward an actual argument of how Fernando is 10 x more gifted.

I'll wait.

Are you not aware that both players played in vastly different teams of different eras?

Are you telling me that if Beni played in the current team, that he wouldn't be head and shoulders above everybody else?

Would Fernando be considered the best player in our current team if Paolo was here? 

What do you mean Beni wasn't even the 2nd best in the team when he was here? In what respect? Attacking wise or overall?

On 24/04/2018 at 17:28, WatfordOwl said:

Carbone did it in the PL - FF has done it in the Championship.

FF is a decent flair player but Benni was a cut above.

That overhead kick against Newcastle still gives me goosebumps.

My favourite ever Wednesday goal that.

I actually liked Carbone more than Di Canio.

I am also a big Forestieri fan. but come on Carbone was by far the better player.

Put it this way if he was playing today it wouldn't be for us as we would have to be a premier league team to have a player of his ability.

What's next Booth better than Hirst.

lol

1 hour ago, Robdylan said:

Of course he was world class.

He played for Inter Milan with the likes of Paul Ince, Roberto Carlos and Youri Djorkaeff. 

Paolo didn't play international football either. And that's because both Paolo and Beni played their best football without being shackled by defensive responsibilities. They both played their best football with Napoli, where they were given free roles. They were both good enough to get capped, but the managers of the national teams preferred hard working defensive minded players such as Angelo Di Livio.

Regarding Waddle, he of course was also world class. But how often did he defend? Players like that shouldn't have defensive responsibilities. 

Also don't forget back then Italian football was king. All the best players went there to play, not Spain like they do today.

9 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Also don't forget back then Italian football was king. All the best players went there to play, not Spain like they do today.

Exactly....and when Italian football was king Carbone was deemed not good enough

10 hours ago, Robdylan said:

Inter didn't want him to go.

He also played for Parma in 2003.

Paolo never got capped for his country either.

Your argument has just fell apart. 

Ah Parma....that well known world footballing powerhouse.......yep, looks like my argeument has fallen apart.....so inter decided he wasn't good enough for them and he played for Parma therefore to quote you "he was world class and could have played for anyone"

10 hours ago, Robdylan said:

Put foward an actual argument of how Fernando is 10 x more gifted.

I'll wait.

Heading

Tackling

Tracking back

Team Player

more goals

more assists

Fitter 

Braver

Desire

there you go

Carbone world class! He could have been give the chance?

you measure these things on the world stage and who are in front of them in National teams. 

I’ve no doubt had Carbone been English he would have been in the England squad. In the England squad we had players like Anderyon, Merson, Owen, McMenamin. 

Whereas as for the Italian squad of the time he had the likes of Baggio, Ravanelli, Zola, Del Pierlo, Vieri. Not a chance of shifting those. 

Edited by M Royds