Tom Lees....

2 hours ago, ex_retfordowl said:

A positive post yet again sees fans argueing......lees tackles stopped their players through on goal on at least 2 maybe 3 occasions...pelupessys broke up play on several occasions. Well done too both of them. My OP was aimed at the hope we can have that a few first teamers could come back and have a POSITIVE impact on the team and hopefully some of the fans

Don't worry about it - even the best-intentioned of threads can get twisted into a petty argument at the drop of a hat.

I'm sure it was clear to the vast majority that you were simply praising Tom Lees. Quite how Pelupessy, accusations of bias and xenophobia got dragged into it, only one poster will know!

It's a shame it turned out this way, as anyone who saw the game would know Lees was our standout player yesterday and fully deserving of some praise given the circumstances. But if the more anally retentive among us want a stat to back that up, just tell them he won more aerial duels than any other player on the pitch...including Pelupessy.

:duntmatter:

4 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Not sure there is one, and it doesn't upset me, and I definitely don't care enough to make a new thread about it. It's just a phenomena I've recognised from Wednesday fans that's expressed most weeks... and I don't know how intentional it is, but you tend to find that it's the foreign signings that get lambasted while the English players get the plaudits. 

And let's be honest here, just because Joey made the same number of tackles doesn't mean he's comparable to Tom yesterday... who was far more solid and imposing in general.

As bizarre posts go, it’s up there.

Its like reading a post from Andy Goram.

“Stop saying Joey was worse, they made the same number of tackles”

”You lot hate foreigners”

”Despite the fact they made the same number of tackles Joey was worse”

Ghoul guy lives on.

:ghoulguy:

6 hours ago, ex_retfordowl said:

Thought he had a very good game today making several important tackles. If we are to take a positive out of yesterdays game its his performance.....but also think ahead to a few others coming back and the impact they could have. 3 weeks with just the leeds game hopefully gives them the time needed to get back fit. Bannan, Sammy, Van Aken and maybe FF on the bench. Could be a whole lot better for the run in. UTO

For the 1st time in ages, he looked fit.

The Tom Lees we signed.

When they broke through running towards kop, I thought this is either a pen or a goal. It was neither, just a perfectly timed tackle by Lees.

Joey might have made the same number of tackles but his passing was poor.

Lees learned his trade off Loovens, before he seemed to lose it. Get JVA next to him for a while & they could be a solid future pairing. 

I bet he was as sick as us when that goal went in yesterday.

7 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Once again the pre-existing bias of Wednesday fans astounds me. 

Don't get me wrong, Lees had a good game and my post does not mean to detract from that fact... but I've seen numerous posts about Pelupessy being a "twinkletoes" and in generally not very good. Whereas Lees yesterday made several important tackles.

D'yall want a fun fact? Lees and Pelupessy made the same number of tackles yesterday. And interceptions. 

Lees was great... but this post is less about him and more about how different players can do pretty much the same thing yet end up being considered completely differently. 

There are tackles and important tackles Tom Lees made 2 goal saving tackles, imo, yesterday

Pelupessy also made about 4 four very wayward passes that actually put us under pressure and i don't think he's a bad player but to try and use a stat to suggest that he played anywhere near as well as Tom Lees yesterday is just bizarre 

I know you are a lover of stats but your post actually illustrates perfectly how stats without context are worthless 

Years back the commentators were spaffing themselves about Barca making about 900 completed passes in a game if memory serves against Chelski without once mentioning that 800 of them were between Iniesta and the CB and were about 2 yard passes