Carlos vs Stuart Gray

2 minutes ago, steveger said:

Gray was old tight arse Milans cheapest option, make no mistake about it, as such, but to be fair to :stuwinky: he didn't do too bad, but he should have never been given the job.

Perhaps not, but I'm not sure you could argue he didn't show what a shrewd appointment he was. Did exactly what was needed at the time

2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Perhaps not, but I'm not sure you could argue he didn't show what a shrewd appointment he was. Did exactly what was needed at the time

I'm not questioning Stuart's abilities mate, more the real reasons why he was given the job, purely down to the option that was gunna save the old man the most money at the time... as i said he didn't do too bad IMO

Edited by steveger

4 minutes ago, steveger said:

Gray was old tight arse Milans cheapest option, make no mistake about it, as such, but to be fair to :stuwinky: he didn't do too bad, but he should have never been given the job.

Boom Boom time Steveger ...

If you had the choice of who would be our next Manager. .

Who would Steveger choose ?

Boom Boom ....lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, steveger said:

you been hitting that bottle a bit early tonight my friend ?....:stuwinky:lol

No way I'm doing a light circuit rewire in morning look at my gun hand? (Gene wilder style) 

Was gonna say owlstalks Ian Paisley

But thought better of it ....

That would be a perfect Avatar for you ? lol

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

No way I'm doing a light circuit rewire in morning look at my gun hand? (Gene wilder style) 

Was gonna say owlstalks Ian Paisley

But thought better of it ....

That would be a perfect Avatar for you ? lol

Nah those days are long gone, just like my full house re-wire days (used to do rewires with my sparky dad, he paid well :biggrin:)

To answer the manager question mate, i wouldn't have a clue sadly

s6SPPAT.jpg

Edited by steveger
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, steveger said:

Fantasy  - Sir Alex, managerial genius

Reality - Big Fat Sam 

Think Sam would do the job. but you could not see many of curent squad in a BS team. Also he setd up a team in a certain way and who ever follows usually has a difficult job changing to a more convential style. Actually think there are quite a few british managers if given the backing CC has had would do a good job. Two and a half years is an extremely long time in football to get a team together and playing well. I woul not wantanybody who has been out of football for a prolonged period.

11 minutes ago, Quist said:

Think Sam would do the job. but you could not see many of curent squad in a BS team. Also he setd up a team in a certain way and who ever follows usually has a difficult job changing to a more convential style. Actually think there are quite a few british managers if given the backing CC has had would do a good job. Two and a half years is an extremely long time in football to get a team together and playing well. I woul not wantanybody who has been out of football for a prolonged period.

I don't think we'd stand a chance in getting him anyway as i don't think any top manager would work well with our owner and his alleged ways, most managers would want full control i'd expect...... we will end up with another yes man when Carlos walks

Edited by steveger

21 minutes ago, steveger said:

Fantasy  - Sir Alex, managerial genius

Reality - Big Fat Sam 

Fantasy  Brian Clough (Brainwashed by dad - he saw him as a player I saw him as a manager & Peter Taylor)

Reality I would go Ryan Giggs in hope everything Sir Alex taught him would rub off with everything Wednesday ...

Great First Job for him me thinks ?

3 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Fantasy  Brian Clough (Brainwashed by dad - he saw him as a player I saw him as a manager & Peter Taylor)

Reality I would go Ryan Giggs in hope everything Sir Alex taught him would rub off with everything Wednesday ...

Great First Job for him me thinks ?

Mr Clough (RIP) a legend of a man, Giggs as much as i do like him and he did well after SAF for a brief spell we cant afford to experiment with developing a young manager though, we need a proven winner and one with experience to get us back to the top table and to feast on the cash filled cow at the banquet 

Edited by steveger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, steveger said:

Mr Clough (RIP) a legend of a man, Giggs as much as i do like him and he did well after SAF for a brief spell we cant afford to experiment with developing a young manager though, we need a proven winner and one with experience to get us back to the top table and to feast on the cash filled cow at the banquet 

Agree to disagree there pal it's another Cantona here and you are Trevor Francis in this moment he he lol

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Well I find myself of a Friday afternoon with a bottle of beer in hand and I discover that the Ipswich result marks Carlos Carvalhal's 110th league game in charge of the Owls. I figure given the roundish number of the occasion, coupled with the perceived negative forward play, it's about time to have a look at compare CC with another perceived connoisseur of "defense first" football, Stuart Gray.  

In Stu's 67 games in charge of us as full-time manager, we managed 74 goals. That's an average of 1.10 goals per game. 

In Carlos' 110 league games in charge of us, we've managed 149 goals. That's an average of 1.35 goals per game

Gray's somewhat measly contribution to an attacking game came with an attacking core of Stevie May, Atdhe Nuhiu, Chris Maguire etc and resulted in us being a solid Championship side- all on a relatively shoestring budget 

Now consider the expenditure that we have spent on attacking players. Forestieri, Rhodes, Hooper, Joao, Winnall, Fletcher... all personnel we wouldn't have dreamed of seeing in Wednesday colours with Gray in charge. And for what? An extra goal every four games. 

Gray got sacked for perceived lack of attacking play, and 1.1 gpg is an extremely justified reason to let a manager go, wish them all the best and look for a replacement that's a bit more exciting. But I cannot believe the seeming lack of accountability for what has been one gigantic rooster up when it comes to seeing attacking play, all while having personnel that should be more than capable of scoring goals to a greater extent than Stevie May, Atdhe Nuhiu etc. 

I mean consider it... only one more goal every four games. If I make the hypothetical proposition that Stuart Gray had been able to make the same signings CC has- Reach, Fox, Hunt, Bannan, Wallace etc but had kept the same front line (Bus, Keane, Nuhiu, May etc.)- we wouldn't be scoring a similar number of goals? Because I'm struggling to say that that's not a reasonable suggestion. And I think that says a lot about our style of play.

Stuart Gray was sacked for not being attacking. For some reason it's a different story for CC. 

I suspect Gray got sacked more because he wanted to have the say on who we bought, Chansiri thought he knew best through his so called advisors, Gray wanted to have his say while Carlos says “ooh thanks boss” then parks the player back in the ranks coss he doesn’t think they’re good enough...

Gray was upfront, Carlos sucks up and plays the Chansiri demi god card...

Chansiri really needs to get close to the real world (or at least the British) instead of living his Thai dream...