Carlos vs Stuart Gray

Well I find myself of a Friday afternoon with a bottle of beer in hand and I discover that the Ipswich result marks Carlos Carvalhal's 110th league game in charge of the Owls. I figure given the roundish number of the occasion, coupled with the perceived negative forward play, it's about time to have a look at compare CC with another perceived connoisseur of "defense first" football, Stuart Gray.  

In Stu's 67 games in charge of us as full-time manager, we managed 74 goals. That's an average of 1.10 goals per game. 

In Carlos' 110 league games in charge of us, we've managed 149 goals. That's an average of 1.35 goals per game

Gray's somewhat measly contribution to an attacking game came with an attacking core of Stevie May, Atdhe Nuhiu, Chris Maguire etc and resulted in us being a solid Championship side- all on a relatively shoestring budget 

Now consider the expenditure that we have spent on attacking players. Forestieri, Rhodes, Hooper, Joao, Winnall, Fletcher... all personnel we wouldn't have dreamed of seeing in Wednesday colours with Gray in charge. And for what? An extra goal every four games. 

Gray got sacked for perceived lack of attacking play, and 1.1 gpg is an extremely justified reason to let a manager go, wish them all the best and look for a replacement that's a bit more exciting. But I cannot believe the seeming lack of accountability for what has been one gigantic rooster up when it comes to seeing attacking play, all while having personnel that should be more than capable of scoring goals to a greater extent than Stevie May, Atdhe Nuhiu etc. 

I mean consider it... only one more goal every four games. If I make the hypothetical proposition that Stuart Gray had been able to make the same signings CC has- Reach, Fox, Hunt, Bannan, Wallace etc but had kept the same front line (Bus, Keane, Nuhiu, May etc.)- we wouldn't be scoring a similar number of goals? Because I'm struggling to say that that's not a reasonable suggestion. And I think that says a lot about our style of play.

Stuart Gray was sacked for not being attacking. For some reason it's a different story for CC. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stuart Gray was excellent coach did a remarkable job in circumstances. In last year we sold Antonio and brought in Stevie May so had effectively negative transfer budget. he also brought in a better quality of players has had better contacts in game. When roeder cam in the rubbish followed. Unfortunately neither Roeder or CC had been in regular employment prior to appointment and their out of touch with current events has shown in signings. CC has also got problem of not understanding English gameand inability to learn.

4 minutes ago, Quist said:

Stuart Gray was excellent coach did a remarkable job in circumstances. In last year we sold Antonio and brought in Stevie May so had effectively negative transfer budget. he also brought in a better quality of players has had better contacts in game. When roeder cam in the rubbish followed. Unfortunately neither Roeder or CC had been in regular employment prior to appointment and their out of touch with current events has shown in signings. CC has also got problem of not understanding English gameand inability to learn.

Apart from the bit I've highlighted I agree Gray did a good job under the circumstances 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Quist said:

Roeder and CC’s first lot of signings were superb and got us to the play off final. Literally everything you have said in this post is nonsense 

1 minute ago, ramone said:

I loved Stuart Gray. An absolute  gentleman. Don’t believe the ‘he was sacked because we want attacking football’. Surely we’re not all that naive. He was sacked because DC wanted his own man

Beats me how DC knew who "His own man" was...."I know little of football"... and picking your.. "Own man".. don't go hand in hand .

I though Gray deserved a bash, but TBH  I totally forgot about him on the way to wembley....Same as Megson, all f.ookin' apalled when he got sacked...dancing on the pitch a few weeks later...Its football, its hindsight, it serves no useful purpose...bar chattin' "what ifs"

I really liked Gray, shame never got a chance with the money. I think he would have got more out of some players and not signed others. But we'll never know and he isn't coming back, I do still think Carlos with a coach like Gray at the side of him contributing could work out. Either a new assistant manager or a director of football could help Carlos like Gray helped Jones when he came in. Might be an option if Chansiri wants to be loyal to Carlos but get a fresh pair of eyes on the squad as well.

17 minutes ago, Quist said:

Tripe

17 minutes ago, Carl Shutt is God said:

It would be more interesting to look at the stats for Carlos's 1st season goals to game ratio vs the and last season's. I can only imagine there would be a huge diffefence.

2015 16 - 1.43 goals per game

2016 17 - 1.30 gpg

17 18 - 1.27 gpg

22 minutes ago, Carl Shutt is God said:

It would be more interesting to look at the stats for Carlos's 1st season goals to game ratio vs the and last season's. I can only imagine there would be a huge diffefence.

66 in season 1 (1.43 gpg)

60 in season 2 (1.30 gpg)

23 so far in s 3 (1.28 gpg)

Thanks Flo, morefool me :biggrin:

Edited by StudentOwl