Team for Ipswich

Guest RocketOwl
7 hours ago, robswfc said:

Let's mix it up a bit:

..........................Westwood

Hunt.............Lees.............Van Aken.............Pudil

Lee..............Butterfield..........Bannan...........Reach

.......................Joao..............Hooper

Have you been going to do your badges with Carlos?

Clean sheet so take half the defence out? lol 

I like the Joao for fairy change though.

Guest RocketOwl
1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

What makes you say that?

Results over the reign of Carlos suggest the opposite.

I think Lee and Bannan works very well depending on the opposition.

They were immense few seasons ago when we beat Forest 3-0 away. They can certainly play together.

3 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

I think Lee and Bannan works very well depending on the opposition.

They were immense few seasons ago when we beat Forest 3-0 away. They can certainly play together.

Sheridan and Palmer were immense but that was also in the past. Bannan and Lee will not get us promotion. They are far too lightweight and offer little physical presence.

Let's mix it up a bit:

Van Aken that must be a joke, loovens every time 

Guest RocketOwl
1 minute ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Sheridan and Palmer were immense but that was also in the past. Bannan and Lee will not get us promotion. They are far too lightweight and offer little physical presence.

What do you think about Rhodes?

Guest Copthorneowl

Let's mix it up a bit:

FWIW I like your team personally think we are crying out for Pudil in place of Fox.

I would stick with Wallace to start the game as Wallace was the only one to shoot on Saturday and one of his shots would have troubled their keeper had it not been deflected by their defender and then given as a silly goal kick, think Lee could be used later as sub no need to rush him back.

Would start Fletch with Rhodes and Joao as bring on subs when or if needed.

Edited by Copthorneowl

Guest RocketOwl
1 minute ago, Ronnie Starling said:

We dont have the players suited to Rhodes style of play. He has gone from a striker that scored goals for fun to looking like someone that won a competition to play for the first team. Him and Hooper didnt link up well at all on Saturday.

We don't have the players to suit him? The same players who have finished in the playoffs for the past two seasons? 

Whose fault was his latest sitter missed? Hooper excellent header to him and then what follows is not a shot I expect from someone who cost us 10m. 

Perhaps people need to realise we are playing to Rhodes strengths and that's why we are boring. Our midfield has vision and they. We'd a striker who is mobile, strong and direct. For me it's Rhodes making our midfield look poor rather than the other way around. 

Guest Copthorneowl
6 minutes ago, akbuk said:

Van Aken that must be a joke, loovens every time 

Its not a joke imo we need defenders to bring the ball out in a northerly direction and find forward players not slowly play back sideways and to our keeper. Loovens is and has been a good defender but he along with Lees is the root cause of our inability to move quickly from defence to attack.

We have to stop the situation of Bannan dropping back to take the ball off their toes because they will not bring it out themselves.

I know this scenario is not popular but we've got to move on and play more offensively and that starts at the back the way Tom and Glen play between each other is the root cause of why our build up is so negative.  I know people don't like this view but imo it's crucial.

2 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

We don't have the players to suit him? The same players who have finished in the playoffs for the past two seasons? 

Whose fault was his latest sitter missed? Hooper excellent header to him and then what follows is not a shot I expect from someone who cost us 10m. 

Perhaps people need to realise we are playing to Rhodes strengths and that's why we are boring. Our midfield has vision and they. We'd a striker who is mobile, strong and direct. For me it's Rhodes making our midfield look poor rather than the other way around. 

Fletcher had missed plenty of sitters in his games up to Rhodes coming in as did Forestieri before he was injured. Rhodes was at his best when he had a winger putting the ball into the box. Our midfield is poor. The wide players rarely attack the flanks. The central players struggle to tackle and don't get me started on aerial battles. All round it isn't anywhere near good enough to get us promoted.

3 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

Its not a joke imo we need defenders to bring the ball out in a northerly direction and find forward players not slowly play back sideways and to our keeper. Loovens is and has been a good defender but he along with Lees is the root cause of our inability to move quickly from defence to attack.

We have to stop the situation of Bannan dropping back to take the ball off their toes because they will not bring it out themselves.

I know this scenario is not popular but we've got to move on and play more offensively and that starts at the back the way Tom and Glen play between each other is the root cause of why our build up is so negative.  I know people don't like this view but imo it's crucial.

Exactly. When Van Aken came in his strength was the speed of getting the ball into advanced positions before opponents had set themselves up. Now we go backwards and sideways and its so easy to defend against. Van Aken has weaknesses that surely the coaching staff are working to improve? Aren't they?

Guest Copthorneowl
3 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Exactly. When Van Aken came in his strength was the speed of getting the ball into advanced positions before opponents had set themselves up. Now we go backwards and sideways and its so easy to defend against. Van Aken has weaknesses that surely the coaching staff are working to improve? Aren't they?

100% agree mate and that's my point.  People think I have it in for Loovens couldn't be more wrong he's a good defender but we have to move on because as Lees is just a similar younger version we are stymied by slow deliberate play from the back. I understand the Van Acken critics but I believe we have to persevere with him for the greater good but many will disagree fair enough but as we are it won't work ..ever.

2 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

100% agree mate and that's my point.  People think I have it in for Loovens couldn't be more wrong he's a good defender but we have to move on because as Lees is just a similar younger version we are stymied by slow deliberate play from the back. I understand the Van Acken critics but I believe we have to persevere with him for the greater good but many will disagree fair enough but as we are it won't work ..ever.

the timing of Van Akens signing was poor. He should have been brought in in July and bedded in rather than thrust into the Championship. A young kid, new job, new city, new country, away from home.

29 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

Lees and Loovens = Clean sheets Van Aken =mistakes he needs to learn his trade in this league and be played off the bench until he is ready