Is this the North Stand being built?

2 minutes ago, HubristicClapper said:

So essentially lincs owl is making it up, and claiming what others think/know is false.     Whilst I wish it was not true, building that world first stand at that time did put the club in financial issues, which held the club up on the pitch.

Most of his numbers are correct as is the main point he is making.  Some of the detail about the debentures was not accurate. What is true is that the new stand held 10,000, it cost £150,000 and was paid for by launching £100 debentures( essentially preference shares). As far as I am aware, the new stand did not adversely affect the club's finances. Not unlike the original purchase of Hillsborough which was funded by 1) the issue of the original shares to people and families who quite recently have been seriously maligned and 2) by the sale of the spare land for building terrace houses 

And the new stand gave our club massive prestige in the 1960s on a world stage which is exactly what those making the case for a new ground want to do now. It meant that Santos with Pele happily came to Hillsborough for the official opening. Would we have had such a high profile match to celebrate 150 years. Don't forget that we had finished runners up in the 1st Division toTottenham in the 1960-61 season - we were in what is now the Chelsea/Tottenham/ Man U/ Man C class then. 

7 minutes ago, Andrew Robinson said:

Most of his numbers are correct as is the main point he is making.  Some of the detail about the debentures was not accurate. What is true is that the new stand held 10,000, it cost £150,000 and was paid for by launching £100 debentures( essentially preference shares). As far as I am aware, the new stand did not adversely affect the club's finances. Not unlike the original purchase of Hillsborough which was funded by 1) the issue of the original shares to people and families who quite recently have been seriously maligned and 2) by the sale of the spare land for building terrace houses 

Any small print in the contract where we can get em back? 

Funding to build a stadium is completely different to funding day to day costs.

So if Wednesday built a new stadium today the Club would either get long term loans, look at a debenture option or one I saw from the US the other day a seat for life. The repayment of capital and interest would of course have to be funded from current revenues so there would be an impact - but a phased one.

Interesting thing I saw in the financial sections the other day was that Spurs have only secured £500m of the £800m to do their new stadium. This does include the surrounding area as well as the stadium, so they might have enough to do the football stadium 

I don't think the building of the stand put the club in financial difficulties a lot of the talk at the time amongst the fans was was that the money should have been spent on players.

I was at the Spurs game, was on the Kop with 55000 on three sides of the ground, couldn't get the flask I had taken out of my pocket the crush was so tight

• Like 1

Was told by a close relative of Eric Taylor that the gangways are not exactly in alphabetical order. So if you up from the half way line the two gangways in direct line are ET, this was done purposely as an acknowledgement to Eric.

• Like 2